Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
These days we have new fans and new problems and one of these problems is that some fans that are so steeped in political dogma they allow it or want it to trump the enjoyment of supporting BHA. These emotionally unattached day trippers were about in the 90s too, they were just less visible and audible.

Absolute horseshit. Laughable. I love following BHA and I also love pointing out what a sad old racist you are. See how this works?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Or it could just simply be a case that I was a lot younger, bright eyed and optimistic in my 20s than I am now in my cynical, slightly world weary 40s.

Anyway, you keep doing you bro...

Plus ca change.

As I said your honesty does you credit, I think there are many like you that despise England, it’s history and it’s citizenry but are not as candid. I think it’s much better when people are open on their personal prejudices, it helps with social navigation etc.

Your prejudice is not new either, in Orwell’s Lion and Unicorn he recognises this disposition as a particularly English characteristic. In the modern day vernacular it could probably best be defined as Thornberry Syndrome.

Of course, there is talking the talk and then walking the walk, with the levels of contempt you have with this country and it’s people I can’t help but think your mental health would be improved if you chose another more amenable country to live in.

Chucking out that new blue passport would probably be a point of liberating catharsis..........but I suspect you are a talker and not a walker.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It’s all gone a wee bit Radio Rentals on this thread! :eek:

Forza Italia! or to quote John Gordon-Sinclair from Gregory’s Girl “Bella, Bella”

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm getting more on-board now but I still feel that something absolutely disastrous is going to happen to us. I was 6 in ' 66 and effectively missed the only major trophy we ever won. Since then it's been one connected series of highs and lows..as a team the current crop are cool headed, business like and know and say the right things. I'm proud of their stance on BLM and they are PROPER role models rather than show pony's.

The only sad thing about the whole tournament is that the England team have moved up a level but the fans sadly haven't. Booing the oppositions national anthem, letting off flares, pointing laser pens at players and booing your own team for taking the knee is the sort of thing expected from bigoted and ignorant Eastern European teams.

Let's hope our " Fans " don't shame us too much at the final when the whole of Europe watches.

Proper role Models? I give you Grealish and Walker as just two examples. Whilst we are enjoying the ride, let's not rewrite history.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Plus ca change.

As I said your honesty does you credit, I think there are many like you that despise England, it’s history and it’s citizenry but are not as candid. I think it’s much better when people are open on their personal prejudices, it helps with social navigation etc.

Your prejudice is not new either, in Orwell’s Lion and Unicorn he recognises this disposition as a particularly English characteristic. In the modern day vernacular it could probably best be defined as Thornberry Syndrome.

Of course, there is talking the talk and then walking the walk, with the levels of contempt you have with this country and it’s people I can’t help but think your mental health would be improved if you chose another more amenable country to live in.

Chucking out that new blue passport would probably be a point of liberating catharsis..........but I suspect you are a talker and not a walker.

Mate, you're not being as clever or insightful as you think. Just offensive more than anything because my opinion on this country differs from yours with your "if you don't like it here go and live somewhere else", Daily Mail rhetoric. Believe it or not there are many things I do like about this country despite the corrupt, morally bankrupt public (self) servants that run it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Proper role Models? I give you Grealish and Walker as just two examples. Whilst we are enjoying the ride, let's not rewrite history.

OK, fair point, I just got swept up on the tide...... Talksport yesterday were sying that Southgate is already England's Greatest Ever Manager !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It’s all gone a wee bit Radio Rentals on this thread! :eek:

That's what happens when Ferg turns up with the oh so predictable

1) Use whataboutery and button pushing to wind people up to their limits
2) Write something that even "The Sun Says" would consider a little OTT. All the better if it mentions money and taking the knee. And then
3) Disappear for a while.

If you can get a trite allegation and some copy and paste stuff in all the better,

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've never ever made any association between BHA and politics.

There is a clear link between England and Nationalism, whilst the majority just follow the team as it's their country, and they love football, its a lot more than that for some. taking tribal to a national level is something else altogether unsightly in my opinion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've never ever made any association between BHA and politics.

There is a clear link between England and Nationalism, whilst the majority just follow the team as it's their country, and they love football, its a lot more than that for some. taking tribal to a national level is something else altogether unsightly in my opinion.

It's almost like you can support the team representing the country of your birth without slurring "no surrender" and "10 German Bombers" every five minutes.

Just like, in fact, you can be a passionate and knowledgeable Brighton fan in your teens or early twenties who was born after Archer ****ed off.

:wozza:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Your honesty does you credit.

Nonetheless, there’s definitely a new breed of BHA fan at large these days, and given the relative success BHA have had in the last 10 years I guess that’s to be expected.

I am a bit longer in the tooth, I can remember the backdrop to the 96 Euros being an utterly depressing period in BHA’s history, with the last game of the season at the Goldstone being abandoned due to a violent pitch invasion. If memory serves that game could have been the last game at the Goldstone before we were meant to play home games at Portsmouth.

In truth BHA had been a shambles for many years by then, the people in charge were the worst kind of corrupt and hypocritical shits that ever walked the face of the earth. Many, many BHA fans still went though.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, but I am glad I was supporting BHA in that tumultuous period, as it provides footballing perspective today. I sincerely hope we don’t tumble from our premiership perch into the lower leagues like we did in the 80s, however I think a genuine positive from such decline would be the unquestionable peeling away of this new breed of BHA fan back to Rugby, folk festivals or gardening, whatever really floats their boat.

Back in the 90s watching England play football was a steak and chips compared to the footballing shit sandwich that watching BHA was. You won’t know this like many others because you were not truly there, you have no perspective.

I stood in a crowd of less than 4,000 for a league 2/div 3 game v Oxford in 1996, there had been 10,000 there the season before for the same fixture. Many, many Brighton supporters stayed away.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm getting more on-board now but I still feel that something absolutely disastrous is going to happen to us. I was 6 in ' 66 and effectively missed the only major trophy we ever won. Since then it's been one connected series of highs and lows..as a team the current crop are cool headed, business like and know and say the right things. I'm proud of their stance on BLM and they are PROPER role models rather than show pony's.

The only sad thing about the whole tournament is that the England team have moved up a level but the fans sadly haven't. Booing the oppositions national anthem, letting off flares, pointing laser pens at players and booing your own team for taking the knee is the sort of thing expected from bigoted and ignorant Eastern European teams.

Let's hope our " Fans " don't shame us too much at the final when the whole of Europe watches.

Also hope they don't rampage if we lose although I reckon that will be a foregone conclusion. Why they feel the need to damage other people's property is beyond me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Also hope they don't rampage if we lose although I reckon that will be a foregone conclusion. Why they feel the need to damage other people's property is beyond me.

This

I'm inclined to hang one of the workshop security cameras out the front to keep an eye on the car Sunday night!

I remember after the 1990 loss I went to thew pub with my mate, 2 Neanderthals bellowed at us 'Are you German' :dunce: If I'd been thinking a bit quicker and not as disappointed as he was I'd have replied Nein!

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
If it still applies for the OP - check your pulse.

Haha. I have to say I got more excited as the Denmark game approached and much more excited since seeing that we didn't bottle it as usual.

All I hope for Sunday is that they leave it all on the pitch. Just give it everything and we can't be let down then.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Are you stuck in the 90’s? When is the last time you witnessed trouble at a Brighton game apart from handbag stuff? It’s moved on the England fan base is diverse now, one of my Asian customers rang me this morning and he’s just excited about the game as I am.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Are you stuck in the 90’s? When is the last time you witnessed trouble at a Brighton game apart from handbag stuff? It’s moved on the England fan base is diverse now, one of my Asian customers rang me this morning and he’s just excited about the game as I am.

The fan base may be more diverse but that doesn't mean the lunatics have all gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here