Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think it's to do with all of the negative connotations of the flag. In past tournaments I'd have been proudly hanging my St Georges cross out but in the current climate I have kept it in the loft.

Negativity invented in your head. Snap out of it man!
Get your flag out.

44988807-0-image-a-2_1625307208965.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I may be wrong, but I think at least some of the football fans who feel mainly apathy towards England might be swayed IF we make the Final. We've all lived through those gutting failures of falling at the semi-final stage, but if we can finally get over that hurdle, then this becomes new territory for so many of us.

England in a major Final just does not happen. If it DOES though - how can you not get even a little bit caught up in it ?

Of course I will, will I be gutted for days if we don't win? I genuinely don't know, if we get beaten fair and square probably not. If we get cheated or on the wrong end of decisions and mistakes, then yes quite possibly. Will I be watching? You betcha

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION], I see you've already answered this similar post to mine.

I get where you're coming from, but to go to the point of feeling sorry for someone because they don't feel the same level of enthusiasm is something I just don't really get.

Name a sport or pastime that you are completely indifferent about. It would be like some people who are fanatics of that sport/pastime expecting YOU to enjoy it as much as they do! Or a food, or anything else that people have different opinions about.

Why put yourself outside your comfort zone or try and force yourself to like something that you're indifferent about? For example, Mrs Bobkin and I went to the opera once. We arrived just before it started and the people around us were NOT happy. It started and they were all laughing (it was a comedy opera) and clearly entertained, but we just didn't get it and left at half-time for the pub. Did I wish I was more like them? Not really? Did they feel sorry for us that we didn't 'get' it? Almost certainly not – they were probably quite relieved that we'd facked off!

I didn't say anything about "expecting" or "forcing myself". I was simply suggesting that watching someone really enjoy a passion can make me feel "ah, that looks great, wish I liked it that much." That's all, nothing more or less.

I guess the difference here to some of the examples you've mentioned is that this is primarily a football forum, so you'd assume the vast majority of people are here are into football.

Therefore, I think it's understandable for some to wish others on here had the happiness that we have gotten from football, for genuinely altruistic reasons.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
On the pitch can’t argue lots to be excited about, off the pitch struggling as the usual ingredients are not there

- full stadia
- full pubs
- flags everywhere
- images of England fans throwing plastic furniture at opposing fans
- games hosted in one country

For me with Covid it has been restricted to being more of a home TV experience this time around which feels a bit flatter than when things were normal (same as watching Albion last season).

It’s probably just a case of getting off my arse and getting to a pub for some atmosphere to shake it off

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I’ve read some shit on here and posted plenty myself but this is definitely one of the biggest turds I’ve ever read, time for you to disappear to another country me thinks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A convincing, intelligent and eloquent argument.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I think it's to do with all of the negative connotations of the flag. In past tournaments I'd have been proudly hanging my St Georges cross out but in the current climate I have kept it in the loft.

Indeed, it has been hi-jacked to a degree by the EDL and rightwing minded people. I won't display one at all whereas I too used to.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'll happily admit to being the worst kind of England fan. (With the exception of those who have no interest in football whatsoever except when the WC comes around and end up on the BBC news reeling out of a FanZone after England have beaten Turkmenistan 1-0 in their first group game, wearing the latest home shirt with the Sports Direct price tag still attached to it, gurning at the camera and shouting "It's coming home! Get in!").

When it comes to England, I like to adopt a fluid position, which generally goes something like this:

Pre-tournament
Complete ambivalence and a willingness to tell everyone that during qualifying we flattered to deceive, we will do well to get out the group and the manager is clueless.

We get out the group.
State that our group was gash anyway and we will get knocked out in the R16

Win the R16 game
Profess that we had an easy draw and confidently predict that we will lose to the first decent side we play

Beat a decent side
This is where it gets a bit tricky so I claim that the decent side we just beat aren't as decent as they used to be whilst trying to covertly clamber aboard the bandwagon without anyone noticing. It is at this point I usually try to buy a replica 1982 England shirt on-line only to find they are all sold out or going for £85 on eBay.

I find this approach has served me well over the years until we finally get knocked out and then I can feel vindicated and quite smug. It did lead to me having a bit of a row with [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] on here during the South Africa World Cup until (to my shame) I realised that [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] is actually one of the most decent posters on here and his unconditional support for the national side is something to be applauded.

I'd certainly second that about [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] I've followed England about over the years but have levelled off in recent years and have become much more ambivalent as a result. Reading his posts makes me realise I've turned into a cynical old git. If we do go onto win it, I'm sure he will enjoy it more than anyone else on here and rightly so. I wish I could be as enthusiastic as I used to be about the whole thing - I was probably more emotionally invested in the Cricket World cup which is a statement I couldn't imagine myself uttering 10 or so years ago.

Very kind words and appreciated thanks chaps. I know I can come over too strong sometimes but I just believe it’s a great thing to support your country. And I do for all sports believe me! And anyone from Sussex etc etc. Just the way I am and I consider it pretty normal and just part of life! Come on England!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Indeed, it has been hi-jacked to a degree by the EDL and rightwing minded people. I won't display one at all whereas I too used to.

The flag means what you want it to mean! Nothings been hijacked - it’s the flag of our country - if other groups wish to use it it has no bearing on what the flag should mean to us and what it’s always been!

Ps - Crodo is a spoof account and is taking the piss I expect…

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I may be wrong, but I think at least some of the football fans who feel mainly apathy towards England might be swayed IF we make the Final. We've all lived through those gutting failures of falling at the semi-final stage, but if we can finally get over that hurdle, then this becomes new territory for so many of us.

England in a major Final just does not happen. If it DOES though - how can you not get even a little bit caught up in it ?

Not me, I'm afraid (for anyone who feels sorry for me). That type of hypocrisy would make me almost as bad as the section of 'fans' that are partly responsible for my general apathy towards the whole world of England/international football. Akin to people who only bet on Grand National day or only go out on New Years' Eve.

How can I not get 'even a little bit' caught up in it? Fairly easily, thanks :lolol:

I didn't say anything about "expecting" or "forcing myself". I was simply suggesting that watching someone really enjoy a passion can make me feel "ah, that looks great, wish I liked it that much." That's all, nothing more or less.

I guess the difference here to some of the examples you've mentioned is that this is primarily a football forum, so you'd assume the vast majority of people are here are into football.

Therefore, I think it's understandable for some to wish others on here had the happiness that we have gotten from football, for genuinely altruistic reasons.

That's fair enough.

Like I said before, I love the Albion –*I get me fill of football happiness from that. I then top up on my happiness levels from many other things in life.

So, please don't feel sorry for me :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think very many people have gone a bit numb about football over the course of the pandemic, whether it be club or country. It just doesn't seem to matter like it used to

You should’ve gone to the Man City game and been born in England or have English parents - as that isn’t true for many who got those pre requisites I’d guess :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You should’ve gone to the Man City game and been born in England or have English parents - as that isn’t true for many who got those pre requisites I’d guess :thumbsup:

WTF?! What GIVES? ???

Weird (tho not atypical) post [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]. I was in as near my normal seat in the NS as it was possible to book for the Man City game. Seeing BDB thud and blunder his way through the Man City penalty area before forcing the ball into the net by force of sheer bloody WILLPOWER was truly magnificent and one of those moments that will live in the memory forever. A bit like Ali J v Chelsea on the opening day of the decade. Pure BUZZ and why we go to football. Or at least why I go to football :shrug:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
WTF?! What GIVES? ???

Weird (tho not atypical) post [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]. I was in as near my normal seat in the NS as it was possible to book for the Man City game. Seeing BDB thud and blunder his way through the Man City penalty area before forcing the ball into the net by force of sheer bloody WILLPOWER was truly magnificent and one of those moments that will live in the memory forever. A bit like Ali J v Chelsea on the opening day of the decade. Pure BUZZ and why we go to football. Or at least why I go to football :shrug:

:lol: Point I’m making is the Man City game is still buzzing inside me personally and I’m sure others. As is the Euros and England’s quite remarkable performances and run to yet another major semi final - the one thing I certainly missed in covid times was football!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:lol: Point I’m making is the Man City game is still buzzing inside me personally and I’m sure others. As is the Euros and England’s quite remarkable performances and run to yet another major semi final - the one thing I certainly missed in covid times was football!

Fair enough. Your post was still pretty weird tho :mad:

Nevermind. Kiss and make up eh? :kiss:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Far too many long posts on this thread for today’s reduced attention spans, keep it brief, get in, get out, log off, smash and grab, job done.

A pic of BJ works equally well. :amex:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here