Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why am I still not excited about England?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is it because our England team is filled with cheats, convicted thugs, covid rule breakers, drink drivers, hit and runners, gun tattoo bearers etc? Love watching England Rugby Union Team but can't abide our national football team who offer very little to aspire to - especially when compared to most of the 66, 70 and a few years after that teams. The Albion have managed to maintain, pretty much, a no dickheads policy but our national team seems to be full of them.

I expect to be shot down in flames but you asked and that's my view :shootself

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19422952.albions-yves-bissouma-caught-speeding-five-times-brighton/

:facepalm:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Is it because our England team is filled with cheats, convicted thugs, covid rule breakers, drink drivers, hit and runners, gun tattoo bearers etc? Love watching England Rugby Union Team but can't abide our national football team who offer very little to aspire to - especially when compared to most of the 66, 70 and a few years after that teams. The Albion have managed to maintain, pretty much, a no dickheads policy but our national team seems to be full of them.

I expect to be shot down in flames but you asked and that's my view :shootself

WTF?! The best thing about this run is how likeable and decent the players and manager are and what an inspiration they are to the country. And exactly why are the 66 and 70 squads so much better? And don’t get me started on that ****ing abysmal joke of a ‘sport’ full of the Matt Dawson’s of the world.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
WTF?! The best thing about this run is how likeable and decent the players and manager are and what an inspiration they are to the country. And don’t get me started on that ****ing abysmal joke of a ‘sport’ full of the Matt Dawson’s of the world.

And at least the England football team features actual English players and not mercenaries from Samoa, New Zealand, South Africa, Tuvalu, the Galapagos Islands, Mount Everest etc.

:amex::ffsparr:

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
WTF?! The best thing about this run is how likeable and decent the players and manager are and what an inspiration they are to the country. And exactly why are the 66 and 70 squads so much better? And don’t get me started on that ****ing abysmal joke of a ‘sport’ full of the Matt Dawson’s of the world.

So, just guessing, but, not a fan of the rugby then...or a guy who played a generation ago:) It's all about opinions:albion2:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
fair play to all who are enjoying it, but I get absolutely nothing out of watching England. I think it's because Brighton are in the PL now and these players all play for rival clubs, just can't muster up any enthusiasm for it whatsoever

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
fair play to all who are enjoying it, but I get absolutely nothing out of watching England. I think it's because Brighton are in the PL now and these players all play for rival clubs, just can't muster up any enthusiasm for it whatsoever

Very much this . The booing of other nations national anthems certainly doesn’t help the cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes I could well take dog out if we are strolling game and not exciting, Have been watching Albion for years and with very few exceptions the pleasure of a win and disappointment of a loss is huge and not something I experience with international football.

Have you got the lead ready for Sunday night? :rolleyes:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I think I've realised the reason, or at least part of the reason.

It's this f*cking country itself. It's the utter shambles and bare faced hypocrisy and corruption of the people in charge of this country that has made me despise it and therefore feel very little patriotism towards my national team.

It's a country full of small minded, bigoted racists run by small minded, bigoted racists.

Your honesty does you credit.

Nonetheless, there’s definitely a new breed of BHA fan at large these days, and given the relative success BHA have had in the last 10 years I guess that’s to be expected.

I am a bit longer in the tooth, I can remember the backdrop to the 96 Euros being an utterly depressing period in BHA’s history, with the last game of the season at the Goldstone being abandoned due to a violent pitch invasion. If memory serves that game could have been the last game at the Goldstone before we were meant to play home games at Portsmouth.

In truth BHA had been a shambles for many years by then, the people in charge were the worst kind of corrupt and hypocritical shits that ever walked the face of the earth. Many, many BHA fans still went though.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, but I am glad I was supporting BHA in that tumultuous period, as it provides footballing perspective today. I sincerely hope we don’t tumble from our premiership perch into the lower leagues like we did in the 80s, however I think a genuine positive from such decline would be the unquestionable peeling away of this new breed of BHA fan back to Rugby, folk festivals or gardening, whatever really floats their boat.

Back in the 90s watching England play football was a steak and chips compared to the footballing shit sandwich that watching BHA was. You won’t know this like many others because you were not truly there, you have no perspective.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Back in the 90s watching England play football was a steak and chips compared to the footballing shit sandwich that watching BHA was. You won’t know this like many others because you were not truly there, you have no perspective.

Why do you assume that? Weird thing to say. I was there.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Why do you assume that? Weird thing to say. I was there.

Yes, weird; as in very strange and unusual, not natural.

By your own admission you despise the country you live in because you don’t like it’s current leadership or many of its citizens. Yet, you support a football team that went through its own leadership issues back in the 90s and which is supported by a wide range of people, including those you won’t agree with politically.

That’s weird.

Oh I don’t doubt you were there at the time, after all you are here in 2021 whilst England wend their way to a major football tournament. Like then as now, you are just not TRULY there...............you have no perspective.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very much this . The booing of other nations national anthems certainly doesn’t help the cause

I'm getting more on-board now but I still feel that something absolutely disastrous is going to happen to us. I was 6 in ' 66 and effectively missed the only major trophy we ever won. Since then it's been one connected series of highs and lows..as a team the current crop are cool headed, business like and know and say the right things. I'm proud of their stance on BLM and they are PROPER role models rather than show pony's.

The only sad thing about the whole tournament is that the England team have moved up a level but the fans sadly haven't. Booing the oppositions national anthem, letting off flares, pointing laser pens at players and booing your own team for taking the knee is the sort of thing expected from bigoted and ignorant Eastern European teams.

Let's hope our " Fans " don't shame us too much at the final when the whole of Europe watches.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm getting more on-board now but I still feel that something absolutely disastrous is going to happen to us. I was 6 in ' 66 and effectively missed the only major trophy we ever won. Since then it's been one connected series of highs and lows..as a team the current crop are cool headed, business like and know and say the right things. I'm proud of their stance on BLM and they are PROPER role models rather than show pony's.

The only sad thing about the whole tournament is that the England team have moved up a level but the fans sadly haven't. Booing the oppositions national anthem, letting off flares, pointing laser pens at players and booing your own team for taking the knee is the sort of thing expected from bigoted and ignorant Eastern European teams.

Let's hope our " Fans " don't shame us too much at the final when the whole of Europe watches.

Get a grip man. Spain and Italy booed each other's anthems on Tuesday. There's 60 odd thousand there - even a fraction of that booing would be audible, it won't have been too many booing I'm certain. Before and after the game I heard from people I know who went and on the radio that the atmosphere between the fans was fantastic. Says it all over a few people booing an anthem.

Booing of the knee, well sadly you'd probably get that anywhere as racism exists everywhere, and is worse in other countries, including many of those in the euros (not just Eastern Europe, either - have a look at Denmark's immigration policies and the law they just passed ffs).

One idiot brought a lazer pen out of 60 odd thousand.

I didn't see any flares, but you see flares far more all over Europe than you do here anyway.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Sums up my position almost perfectly, except I was 13 in 1966 and remember it well.

Harry Kane does not compare to Bobby Moore, though, as leadership figure and captain.
Or Jordan Pickford to Gordon Banks!:bowdown:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

By your own admission you despise the country you live in because you don’t like it’s current leadership or many of its citizens. Yet, you support a football team that went through its own leadership issues back in the 90s and which is supported by a wide range of people, including those you won’t agree with politically.

That’s weird.

Oh I don’t doubt you were there at the time, after all you are here in 2021 whilst England wend their way to a major football tournament. Like then as now, you are just not TRULY there...............you have no perspective.

The only thing that’s weird is your implicit suggestion that old school fans were devoid of any politics other than fighting the club when, in fact, two of the leaders of the fan movement that saved us had political views that were the polar opposite of each other.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

That’s weird.

Or it could just simply be a case that I was a lot younger, bright eyed and optimistic in my 20s than I am now in my cynical, slightly world weary 40s.

Anyway, you keep doing you bro...

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
The only thing that’s weird is your implicit suggestion that old school fans were devoid of any politics other than fighting the club when, in fact, two of the leaders of the fan movement that saved us had political views that were the polar opposite of each other.

Well, given your own zealot tendencies and lack of perspective I’m not surprised you have difficulty recognising those weird people that use their own extreme outlook on politics to prevent them from engaging with this potentially once in a lifetime event with the England football team.

As you very neatly point out when the fight to wrestle leadership from Archer etc. was in full swing the personal political views of those on the side of goodness didn’t matter a jot, there was a much bigger issue at play. That BHA was lead by Archer et al at that time didn’t mean fans en masse stopped supporting BHA, they simply absorbed the situation and understood the wider picture.

These days we have new fans and new problems and one of these problems is that some fans that are so steeped in political dogma they allow it or want it to trump the enjoyment of supporting BHA. These emotionally unattached day trippers were about in the 90s too, they were just less visible and audible.

There’s a lot of matters today associated with football I disagree with ( both BHA and England) none of these matters are a reason to not support BHA or England on the pitch, but then I am not a narrow minded political zealot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here