Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who were the f***ing wankers......

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
As I said, if something as petty as that, has 'ruined' their day, they should never go to a football game again.

:nono:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I was unfortunately close to this shambles. A small group of blokes two rows in front (who seemed fully behind the team) sang 'Keep St. George, etc, no surrender, they had an English flag with BHAFC on it. Two highly upset blokes behind them (one in a Steve Foster wig) and a girl with them, went mental at them and started singing some song I'd not heard before about 'one Good Friday agreement' and then another anti-Racism ditty. Then they went further and engaged the flag waving blokes in a heated confrontational discussion (talking politics - never a good idea).

In our row immediately behind we were getting miffed at the whole thing (surely the whole point was to back the Albion?), told Foster and Co. as much, at which point they turned on us saying they'd never seen us at games before and one called us all racists.

Quite ironic as I have no particular political leaning (other than the now defunct Seagulls Party) and we'd never, ever, seen Foster and Co. (whose day was now ruined apparently by the chaps in front of them, even though the game was still in the balance)...and we run the A21 away transport (have done since 1991) and I personally have been a continual season ticket holder since 88/89.

Suspect a mixture of too much sun, alcohol and possibly the excitement of away trip # 1 may have been to blame (apologies if they too were regular fans - not nice is it?).

Anyway, the stewards had obviously monitored their behaviour and thankfully moved (or maybe even ejected them). Given their behaviour, we weren't bothered which.

That pretty much ties up with HYS on this thread.

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?t=148909

As others have said, the no surrender chant has no place at Albion games, I don't find it particularly offensive and don't see why people would but that is another debate altogether.
By the sounds of it, it got what it deserved and was met by silence except for the idiots who decided to make a big issue of it. Whoever they are, and it sounds like HYS is admitting to being one of the people, they sound like bigger twats than the 'no surrender' singers. Politics have no place on the terraces, left or right.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Most of us are on matchday-friendly terms with fellow Albion fans whose politics differ wildly from our own. Unless anybody is being actively racist, I don't see it as a problem, cos it's uniting us in football which has to be a positive thing. We just don't talk politics. The 'No Surrender' thing is quite quaint really. Only time I've heard it sung with any kind of gusto at football is in Glasgow. But then again, it's still 1690 up there.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
So two Brighton fans, who have never patrolled a street in Belfast in their lives*, sing a song about not surrendering to the IRA? In a venue which has no relevance to the Irish situation, at an event which has no relevance? They are probably very sad keyboard warriors and self-abusers who would like to be known as "faces", but ultimately are just a pair of cock-juggling thundercnuts. If it made them feel good, then great, good luck to them, but it only really went to show their incredible bravery in the face of, er, nothing. If they wanted to prove they actually had some bollocks, they could always look in the yellow pages for "Armed Forces Recruiting Office", but the outcome could be a lot less safe than singing anti-IRA songs at a First Division football ground.

*Yes, before you ask.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I was unfortunately close to this shambles. A small group of blokes two rows in front (who seemed fully behind the team) sang 'Keep St. George, etc, no surrender, they had an English flag with BHAFC on it. Two highly upset blokes behind them (one in a Steve Foster wig) and a girl with them, went mental at them and started singing some song I'd not heard before about 'one Good Friday agreement' and then another anti-Racism ditty. Then they went further and engaged the flag waving blokes in a heated confrontational discussion (talking politics - never a good idea).

In our row immediately behind we were getting miffed at the whole thing (surely the whole point was to back the Albion?), told Foster and Co. as much, at which point they turned on us saying they'd never seen us at games before and one called us all racists.

Quite ironic as I have no particular political leaning (other than the now defunct Seagulls Party) and we'd never, ever, seen Foster and Co. (whose day was now ruined apparently by the chaps in front of them, even though the game was still in the balance)...and we run the A21 away transport (have done since 1991) and I personally have been a continual season ticket holder since 88/89.

Suspect a mixture of too much sun, alcohol and possibly the excitement of away trip # 1 may have been to blame (apologies if they too were regular fans - not nice is it?).

Anyway, the stewards had obviously monitored their behaviour and thankfully moved (or maybe even ejected them). Given their behaviour, we weren't bothered which.

Harold I was at the front yesterday and your post is pretty much how I saw it too. In fact I think Steve Foster and his Dalmatian mate were pretty lucky to be hoicked out when they were because after going 1-0 down the atmostphere around me took a distinct turn for the worse and their behaviour was definitely p*ssing off many of the fans around me.

Evidently the song is not a BHA related, however it seemed to be sung out of over exuberance as oppose to any specific political reason. It was also sung by plenty of others around me too so some clearly felt it was just another chant to get behind the lads.

That may be an anathema for many of the more precious posters on here, however I think it just proves the point, like it or not, that NSC is not an accurate representation of BHA fans.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Well i found this disturbing. Those drunken idiots appeared beside my mate and i singing songs with no relevance to football or the Albion. It took me back to the 70s and 80s when all the racist shit was prevailing and violence at games was common place. Then we all ended up with being caged behind bars like wild animals at grounds. Does anyone want those days to return? I think not!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I've always laughed when i hear that song at England games as most of the kids who sing it haven't really got a clue what it's all about so doesn't surprise me some knob heads choose to sing it at an Albion game. My mum's from Belfast and my dads from Enniskillen and he lost friends in the bombing there many years ago so I guess you could say I kind of talk from experience!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I've always laughed when i hear that song at England games as most of the kids who sing it haven't really got a clue what it's all about so doesn't surprise me some knob heads choose to sing it at an Albion game. My mum's from Belfast and my dads from Enniskillen and he lost friends in the bombing there many years ago so I guess you could say I kind of talk from experience!

...and after looking at my post i should add that somehow those lines from my favourite Ruts song below are looking a little unappropriate :dunce:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sung regularly at England matches. And each time I think it is barely relevant anymore. That said it doesnt bother me in the slightest, as it's just one of those songs. Singing it at a Brighton match seems odd, but sounds like some people went over the top in response. And ruined the match? Good grief!!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I've heard it sung many times in the past at Brighton games, the relevance in the past was probably as a response to the IRA bombing of the Grand Hotel, it's an out of date song in the same way that songs about Peter Ward are, should they be condemned cos they are out of date too?

Just don't join in if you disagree with the sentiments of a chant, and let it die out as it deserves to, and be consigned to history.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
"Just don't join in if you disagree with the sentiments of a chant, and let it die out as it deserves to, and be consigned to history. "

precisely what i think, i have heard it a few times in the past at Albion games and many times at England games home and away and have never joined in once....because it has no relevance to football matches.

In Leichtenstein a few years ago some England fans were chanting " attack attack, attack attack Iraq".. again i never joined in because it had no relevance to the match

John Boy

Paul McShane
Aug 15, 2004
'ove actually
I've heard it sung many times in the past at Brighton games, the relevance in the past was probably as a response to the IRA bombing of the Grand Hotel, it's an out of date song in the same way that songs about Peter Ward are, should they be condemned cos they are out of date too?

Just don't join in if you disagree with the sentiments of a chant, and let it die out as it deserves to, and be consigned to history.

Yes, because songs about Peter Ward fall in the same bracket as songs about the IRA :wozza:

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick

Was more interested in watching the game but this was immediately in front of us but missed exactly what was sung. The two minus wig apparently went off for another drink and at the end of the match were on the far left side when someone exchanged verbals and intitially looked like they were going to have a pop at them but his mates persuaded him otherwise.

Hardly ruined the day but was distracted from watching the match for several minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here