Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who were the f***ing wankers......

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
That's an england song anyway so I don't know what they think they're doing singing it at an albion game, it's a bit embarrasing.

I'm not sure how it can ruin someone's whole day though, if you don't like it just ignore it, it's not like it's offensive.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
I'm not sure how it can ruin someone's whole day though, if you don't like it just ignore it, it's not like it's offensive.
How can you just simply ignore it when it's happening right next to you for 90 minutes?

I can easily see how such a thing could ruin a good day out. Some of you might not mind being in the company of mindless knuckledraggers for the entirety of a football match, but it doesn't sound like fun to me.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
How can you just simply ignore it when it's happening right next to you for 90 minutes?

I can easily see how such a thing could ruin a good day out. Some of you might not mind being in the company of mindless knuckledraggers for the entirety of a football match, but it doesn't sound like fun to me.

But it wasn't for 90 minutes was it. If I was sat next to people I found unsavoury. I would simply move.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
But it wasn't for 90 minutes was it. If I was sat next to people I found unsavoury. I would simply move.
But why should anyone have to be subjected to this shit, just because it was acceptable in the past? Christ, it's a football match, not a BNP rally :shootself

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
It's an abomination is "No Surrender". Presumably it is getting an airing on the grounds that even the dimmest of the knuckle dragging fuckwits realise that they can't get away with inviting people to consider whether they would rather be a "Paki".

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Let them go and sing it on the streets of Belfast, we don't need it at an Albion game.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
But why should anyone have to be subjected to this shit, just because it was acceptable in the past? Christ, it's a football match, not a BNP rally :shootself

They sung the song once and it was met with silence.. This has only got a mention because of the minor scuffle that followed.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I was unfortunately close to this shambles. A small group of blokes two rows in front (who seemed fully behind the team) sang 'Keep St. George, etc, no surrender, they had an English flag with BHAFC on it. Two highly upset blokes behind them (one in a Steve Foster wig) and a girl with them, went mental at them and started singing some song I'd not heard before about 'one Good Friday agreement' and then another anti-Racism ditty. Then they went further and engaged the flag waving blokes in a heated confrontational discussion (talking politics - never a good idea).

In our row immediately behind we were getting miffed at the whole thing (surely the whole point was to back the Albion?), told Foster and Co. as much, at which point they turned on us saying they'd never seen us at games before and one called us all racists.

Quite ironic as I have no particular political leaning (other than the now defunct Seagulls Party) and we'd never, ever, seen Foster and Co. (whose day was now ruined apparently by the chaps in front of them, even though the game was still in the balance)...and we run the A21 away transport (have done since 1991) and I personally have been a continual season ticket holder since 88/89.

Suspect a mixture of too much sun, alcohol and possibly the excitement of away trip # 1 may have been to blame (apologies if they too were regular fans - not nice is it?).

Anyway, the stewards had obviously monitored their behaviour and thankfully moved (or maybe even ejected them). Given their behaviour, we weren't bothered which.

thought they was singing the Keep St George in my heart/no surrender to IRA song. Is that enough to ruin the day??

Stockport have a group who seem to enjoy singing that song. some years ago when Sammy Mac was managing Stockport a load of NI fans used to come over to see county and during one game our 'lads' were singing about how there should be no surrender.

A moment of quiet descended after one rendition, during which a broad NI voice said VERY loudly 'Youse lot no nothing about no f***ing surrender you dont.'

the song wasn't sung again that day

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
A moment of queit descended after one rendition, during which a broad NI voice said VERY loudly 'Youse lot no nothing about no f***ing surrender you dont.'

the song wasn't sung again that day

The same 'moment of quiet' is exactly what happened after the single rendition at Hudds. And that (probably) would have been the end of it had the aforementioned respondents not taken matters in their own hands. Their confrontational response caused the whole thing to escalate. From what I saw they were far more politically motivated (seemed readily armed with a stream of political soundbites) and annoyed most people far more than the chaps who sang in the first place.

Maybe I'm being incredibly naive here but why is the song so offensive? It's a genuine question.

Misplaced, irrelevant and arguably incorrect as the song was at the match yesterday, I just don't get the whole offended thing. All the song says is no surrender to a terrorist organisation and something about keeping St George in your heart. I'm sure it wouldn't go down very well in the Falls Road but neither would a few Albion songs about shooting Palace scum with your father's gun be well received in Norwood Junction.

Personally, I find it disappointing as I agree with Harold that there's no place for politics, any politics in English footie. Offended though? Nah.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Maybe I'm being incredibly naive here but why is the song so offensive? It's a genuine question.

Misplaced, irrelevant and arguably incorrect as the song was at the match yesterday, I just don't get the whole offended thing. All the song says is no surrender to a terrorist organisation and something about keeping St George in your heart. I'm sure it wouldn't go down very well in the Falls Road but neither would a few Albion songs about shooting Palace scum with your father's gun be well received in Norwood Junction.

Personally, I find it disappointing as I agree with Harold that there's no place for politics, any politics in English footie. Offended though? Nah.

It only upset a few uptight lefties. TSLR have just shot themselves in the foot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here