Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here supported another team before they startied supporting Brighton

Who supported another team before they supported Brighton?

• Total voters

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Born and bred in Crawley / East Grinstead so of course most of my schoolfriends supported Liverpool(!) so just went with the flow. When I got a bit older my dad used to take me to the Goldstone (he wasn't really into football, more just for a day out) and a couple of times a school mate and his dad would take me to Selhurst Park of all places. As I got older and after my dad died I guess I associated going to the Goldstone with the good times I had with him so I have been Albion since the early 90s.

So in answer to your question, erm I didn't actually actively support another team until Brighton but it could have gone quite wrong!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My dad was Arsenal through and through, and when I was 6-9 years old we were living in Reading.
Therefore, for me the mid 70's was spent at Highbury, not bad I suppose.

But we were back in the better half of Sussex by the '80's, Goldstone here I come.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I lived a couple of miles from the Valley from age 5 to 11 so always followed them alongside Brighton where I came for school holidays. Lost all interest in them though when I moved to Brighton to live.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Chelmsford City and Manchester United for me. My life turned in 1980/81 when I travelled on the overnight direct train from Manchester to Brighton. Got on the train a United fan, got off it with blue and white in my veins, and I still don't quite know why, it may have had something to do with the Manc scallys on the train though!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Have to admit,I still support several teams....Brighton,Brighton Reserves,Brighton youth team,Brighton Ladies.....and Gully's girls....Hey-Ho!

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Always the Albion.As a kid growing up in the 70's the only way to watch football was to go to the matches as no live matches on tv except cup final.As a Brighton boy that meant the Albion & the goldstone.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Slough Town (come on you Rebels) -- first footy games watched

QPR as teenager -- Ron Hunt, number 6 shirt in the Rodney Marsh/Morgan brothers team lived up our road. He got me the team autographs from the Div 3 1967 League Cup winning squad (when they beat WBA in the final). Went to Loftus Road often.

1971 -- girlfriend from Lewes, started following BHA (Beamish Spearritt, Murray, Napiers etc), moved to Brighton in 73 after Uni, began going regularly to the Goldstone. Rest is history.

For many moons now, I've been the lone Seagull (that I know of) in the 50th State (pop. 1.3 mil).
:albion2:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I grew up in Oxford and followed Man United as they were on the telly and won a lot.

I was taken to the Goldstone by my cousin on August 21st 1993 (1-1 draw with Hartlepool) at the age of 9 for my first ever live football game and was converted then and there.

Shammo

Jan 31, 2005
Burgess Hill
get alot of stick for supporting 3 teams.......................was brought up in Bishops Stortford and went to Wembley twice with them in 1974 and 1981......Always check for their results every week, my 'big' team was Chelsea so support them too, since i was 5, but since moving to Brighton in 1983 have been a season ticket holder, and are my number 1 team of course !!

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I was born in Ireland and as my home town team was not established until 1984, I was a big Liverpool fan as English football was on the telly and Liverpool were a superb team in the early 80's. I then moved to North London and lived next to Highbury and was there for the famous 2-0 win as a Liverpool fan and was abused the next day at school as everyone was gooners, this made me more defiant as I was already an outcast for being Irish and Liverpool always had a big Irish connection. In 1993 my dad moved to Brighton and that resulted in my first visit to the city. Although I lived in London I regularly visited and became very fond of the Albion.

I however am not a turncoat as I don't believe in changing teams, so I have been cheating on LFC with the Seagulls for 17 years now. I still occasionally make the trip up north and Liverpool is always the answer to the supporting question.

I moved myself to Brighton in 2003, so I have also spent many a cold day in the South Stand through many shit football years.

To make matters worse with the formation of the then Cork City FC in 1984 and my Irish bond with Celtic, I actually have 4 teams technically, although 99% of people would not be able to understand that. Cork City and Celtic by birth, Liverpool by first love, and Brighton as the one true love.

edit - the 1% is Shammo above :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Spurs up until my first live match, Albion v Reading, the 32/4k crowd, a 2-1 win over my Dad's team and two Alan Duffy goals swung it.
Oh, and my Dad paid a tout for SIX West Stand tickets for the pleasure and 41 or so years later I'm still as fanatical as I was as an impressionable 12 year old.
I was born and living at the time in Berkshire.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I happily admit i've always followed the Albion (was 4 for my 1st game at the Goldstone in 1991 but I have had other flirts with teams as a youngster I'm prepared to admit! I was always Albion up to about yr 3 or 4 when I gave in to the fact everyone in my class supported Man U and started 'following' them (I can always remember my teacher at the time - a female Blackpool fan - asking why I'd done it!) I then had a spell of watching Charlton in the dark Priestfield days (my Dad understandably never took us there - but we did go to the Barnet game - last ever under floodlights at the Goldstone I think... and couldn't get tickets for the Donny game). I did used to go to Charlton a fair bit as our junior football club took us there when we were around 12 and my mates grandad used to take us. I also owned an old skool Subaru sponsored Coventry shirt as my Dad is from there and has always followed them (Albion first now!). But in 2001 we started going to Withdean again and also used to go with mates so all was good again :)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Guilty. As a nipper I was a Liverpool fan for reasons I dont know?! When I was about 12 i thought it was time to grow up and follow my local club. Never looked back. My little brother (10 years old) has decided his team is Liverpool like I did, I am trying to combat this by taking him to the Albion as and when I can, but the Amex will be the deal breaker!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here