Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who on here supported another team before they startied supporting Brighton

Who supported another team before they supported Brighton?

• Total voters

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
I dont understand all this turncoat business, i just dont see how i could ever support anyone else. even when we moved to scotland, i was never even remotely interested in going to watch my local team (hamilton accies or motherwell) went to a couple of games, but only with mates who supported them and even then i wore a brighton shirt lol i read a lot of you saying you moved to brighton and decided to switch to your new local team, i dont know how you could do it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I've only ever been a Brighton fan. I can't remember my first match or how old i was and my father (who took me to my first game) can't remember either but i was pretty young. My earliest memories of going would be standing on a yellow Holsten Pills crate near the half way line on the east terrace at the Goldstone and struggling to see over the wall to watch the game.

However my dad was originally a villa fan as a kid but went to see the Albion vs Villa at the Goldstone in the early seventies (1972? - It was also the first time he had gone to watch Villa play) and he was converted to the Albion and became hooked ever since, so much so he went to the following game (think it was away at Bournemouth?)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I dont understand all this turncoat business, i just dont see how i could ever support anyone else. even when we moved to scotland, i was never even remotely interested in going to watch my local team (hamilton accies or motherwell) went to a couple of games, but only with mates who supported them and even then i wore a brighton shirt lol i read a lot of you saying you moved to brighton and decided to switch to your new local team, i dont know how you could do it.

Perhaps they are more open minded than you? It's a big world out there with plenty of views and opinions. It makes the world go round. I love BHA with a passion but it doesn't stop me being a football supporter first and foremost. I love football. Played it, watched it, managed it, was part of committees that ran clubs, run a forum now for over 2,000 people that have Sussex football in their hearts, organise charity matches, etc.. There is nothing wrong with being broad minded regarding this ultimate sport. Those that don't understand tend to be single minded, not in a bad way so don't take me as attacking you, but there is a big wide world out there and much to experience. As a disaffected fan until recently I am enjoying re-igniting my love affair with my team all over again. Be happy that Brighton fans are returning in their droves to support the boys, I have been a supporter for 40 years and have found my enthusiasm once again. Can't be bad can it?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've only ever been a Brighton fan. I can't remember my first match or how old i was and my father (who took me to my first game) can't remember either but i was pretty young. My earliest memories of going would be standing on a yellow Holsten Pills crate near the half way line on the east terrace at the Goldstone and struggling to see over the wall to watch the game.

However my dad was originally a villa fan as a kid but went to see the Albion vs Villa at the Goldstone in the early seventies (1972? - It was also the first time he had gone to watch Villa play) and he was converted to the Albion and became hooked ever since, so much so he went to the following game (think it was away at Bournemouth?)

Could that have been 74-75? Someone needs to google it. Villa were old Div 3 as were we, and I believe we went up as bridesmaids to Villa that year? I remember a 33k+ crowd at the Goldstone for that (was there). I bet I have all my facts terribly wrong!

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
I was a normal seven year old supported Leeds and was gutted when they lost the 73 FA cup final. First live football watched Horsham a few times and remember going to watch a Jimmy Hill 11 play Horsham 74? 75 was my first football match at the Goldstone catching the Horsham bus, One of my first memories was the Match of the day commentators walking along in front of the north stand and abusing Malcolm Allison (then Palace manager) happy times .

Noldi

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Could that have been 74-75? Someone needs to google it. Villa were old Div 3 as were we, and I believe we went up as bridesmaids to Villa that year? I remember a 33k+ crowd at the Goldstone for that (was there). I bet I have all my facts terribly wrong!

No. Definitely 71-72. We were second (finished on 65 points - only 2 for a win back then, mind), behind Villa (70 points). Bournemouth and Notts County were snapping at our heels all season. I remember we needed a point from the last game against Rochdale to go up, as one or both of the two chasing us still had games to play. It was 1-1 and we were promoted. As it turned out, I seem to recall (I was only 10) whoever it was with the game in hand mucked it up in any case, so it wouldn't have mattered if we'd lost the last game. Nice not to have to sweat it out though.

Forfars baked the team a special cake to celebrate the occasion (back in the days when they weren't the embodiment of evil).

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
was a liverpool fan as a young lad, remember being in the front of the North stand when Liverpool won 4-1 in 79/80.
have no feeling for them anymore, think it stopped when we started beating them.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Sussex born (Shoreham), Surrey bred (Epsom), now living in Lahndahn. Always been a Brighton fan. My dad's best mate introduced me to my only visit to the Goldstone at the Gerry Ryan Testimonial against Spurs in '86 where we lost 4-0. My mum and dad never really liked football so was never taken to any other games - but it didn't stop me supporting them, even against the huge amount of peer pressure I used to receive all through my school life. I remember being at Scouts in '83 when we lost the replay 4-0 and crying all the way home - hence my massive hatred of the thieving Mancs (more so than Palace). It was actually my wife who managed to get me back into seeing them in 1998 as her family comes from Hollingbury and almost all of them are massive Albion supporters. Even though I never really knew Sussex cos I was too young, I'm proud to say I'm Sussex till I die.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I've said it before and I'll say it again....

I didnt move to Sussex and brighton until 1977 when I was ten... from that moment I was Brighton through and through. Before that, I had lived in Croydon so I sort ve supported Palace for a year but really supporting a team didnt happen until I saw Peter Ward. That was when I started insisting on going to games and wanting a football kit.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
This is like an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting :lol: Like many I 'followed' another team until I saw the light. Although Brighton born, my parents weren't Seagulls. I remember at primary school a lad said to me "who do you support" and I said I didn't support anyone. He was a Leeds fan so I just copied him - so throughout primary and secondary I counted Leeds at my first team. I even went to a few games in the late 70's/early 80's up in London. I didn't start going regularly to the Albion until 82 and that is the year that I count as the start. Still had another two or three years after that where I had a 'soft spot' for Leeds but they were soon forgotten!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is like an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting :lol: Like many I 'followed' another team until I saw the light. !

I am genuinely surprised at how many NSCers followed other teams 1st. I saw my 1st ever live game of football in a 0-0 draw between Borussia Monchen Gladbach and Arsenal in a pre-season friendly, hardly an inspiration to go regularly, but I followed Spurs from abroad as a kid. They basically stopped winning things when I started following them. I too was beguiled by Peter Ward into going to the Albion regularly and becoming a fan. I guess I could be classed as a glory hunter initially but wherever I move to now I will stay Albion 'till I die.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am genuinely surprised at how many NSCers followed other teams 1st. ...
Actually I'm not. Firstly there are those of us born outside the Albion's catchment area and who already had a team before we moved here, and secondly kids have ALWAYS supported big teams. If anything this thread should prove that the oft-repeated comment that the reason there are so many kids in Premiership shirts in Sussex 'is all the fault of Sky and the Premier League' is a load of bollocks. Kids have followed big clubs since the days when the only club match showed live on TV was the Cup Final.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Although as mentioned above I've never actually supported another club, as a kid I was always attracted to clubs that had interesting names, in place of boring old United, City, Town etc. Hence I still have an irrational soft spot for Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest, and did have for Borussia Moenchengladbach until I realised that Moenchengladbach was the name of the town, not 'Borussia'...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not guilty.
Yeah, sorry, it was a bit of a generalisation. What I wanted to say was that the phenomena of kids following big teams is not new and is not the fault of those twin demons Sky and the Premier League.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah, sorry, it was a bit of a generalisation. What I wanted to say was that the phenomena of kids following big teams is not new and is not the fault of those twin demons Sky and the Premier League.

Indeed. At my primary school it was mainly the fault of Peter Lorimer. Who, to give him his due, did know how to kick a ball...

You haven't properly read or understood this thread have you? Rather than being a turncoat, it's often a case of an Epiphany following a period of misplaced loyalty (especially when you're from the Brighton area).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Actually I'm not. Firstly there are those of us born outside the Albion's catchment area and who already had a team before we moved here, and secondly kids have ALWAYS supported big teams. If anything this thread should prove that the oft-repeated comment that the reason there are so many kids in Premiership shirts in Sussex 'is all the fault of Sky and the Premier League' is a load of bollocks. Kids have followed big clubs since the days when the only club match showed live on TV was the Cup Final.

Well said....all this..." I've only ever supported the Albion, can't believe all you lot out there supporting other clubs " nonsense.
If you were fortunate enough to be born locally and have known nothing other than BHA...so be it...but a lot of us were born and brought up out of area.
Growing up in South London and then Surrey, I supported Spurs ( double winning side ) in Primary School but never went to see them. Moved to Sussex in 60's and saw first live game at Goldstone.
45 years later still going and have absolutely no feelings for Spurs. So I think I count as a convert.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Well said....all this..." I've only ever supported the Albion, can't believe all you lot out there supporting other clubs " nonsense.
If you were fortunate enough to be born locally and have known nothing other than BHA...so be it...but a lot of us were born and brought up out of area.
Growing up in South London and then Surrey, I supported Spurs ( double winning side ) in Primary School but never went to see them. Moved to Sussex in 60's and saw first live game at Goldstone.
45 years later still going and have absolutely no feelings for Spurs. So I think I count as a convert.

This. We are all on the same journey - just a different path to enlightenment. :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here