Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the GRIMEST town/city you've visited for Football?

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
I don't think Port Vale (Burlslem) can be beat for sheer shittyness, but am surprised
nobodies mentioned Lincoln, nice in the tourist area but a grotbox round Sincil Bank-
maybe i'm biased

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Luton and probably worst of all Darlington.

Darlo? Surely you are joking....great place for an Albion away day

When i went there last few times (8 years ago) I thought what a smart little northern market town it was, with quality pubs. The fact that I was so drunk I was literally seeing double of everyone and had to watch the match with one hand covering one of my eyes in order to see straight MAY have clouded my judgement, but there are far worse places than Darlo

Port Vale for one and Barnsley is probably the strangest place I've been in England to watch football....the town England forgot, like going back in time many,many years ago

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I went up there a few years back for a wedding and couldn't have been made more welcome...

Your wedding probably wasn't held in one of the many pound shops, or one of the filthy canals full of shopping trolleys.

But I do agree with you about Swindon. Utter shitehole.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I'm surprised people say Burslem/Port Vale. Its not wonderful but at least its got the Bulls Head (Titanic Brewery tap). Whereas Stoke/Stoke City is just a complete and utter wasteland, indescribably horrible and really unfriendly home fans and nowhere decent to escape to that has a decent pint. And we always lose.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Spent some very happy times in Darlo and Feethams was a lovely place to watch a game.

Liverpool's ground is obviously fantastic and the city is not without its charms, but the streets around Anfield are some of the most deprived in Europe, I believe. You could probably buy the freeholds of the homes in several roads with a week of Torres' salary.

Which is probably why Robbie Fowler has a portfolio of about 75 houses! Saw a little niche there and waded in :thumbsup:

Grimest city to watch football for me has to be Edinburgh. Saw Hibs v. Aidrie a few years ago while staying there and actually drank Tartan lager in the shittiest pub I'd ever been in :(

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Rotherham.

If you want to enter a time warp back to the worst days of hooliganism look no further than Cardiff and Swansea. Millwall thugs are civilized in comparison :eek:

:love: I always find our derby games 'unique' but these days games are too well policed for trouble. I went to three welsh derby's last season and apart from chav 14 year-olds showing off there wasn't too much agro.

The atmosphere has been described as more hostile than an 'old firm' game. There is a lot of hatred - probably make Brighton and Palarse seem like old chums.

Anyway, this thread was about the place not the fans. Mine's Chesterfield - wipe your feet on the way out :hilton:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Stoke is horrible, cold and unfriendly

Couldn't agree more. My one trip there was to the 1-0 midweek defeat when we were both scrapping at the foot of the championship.

A horrible journey to a souless stadium in a nonentity of a city to watch two desperate teams in a desperate game which we lost to a defensive howler. To cap it all we got back in the car, switched on the radio and found relegation rivals Sheff Weds had won something like 5-2.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I'm surprised people say Burslem/Port Vale. Its not wonderful but at least its got the Bulls Head (Titanic Brewery tap). Whereas Stoke/Stoke City is just a complete and utter wasteland, indescribably horrible and really unfriendly home fans and nowhere decent to escape to that has a decent pint. And we always lose.

Titanic Brewery's not bad but even better in stoke is Townhouse Brewery!!
:cheers:

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Rotherham-I remember back in the seventies being able to see the slag heaps through the large holes in the back of the stand!

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
Apart from the pub,the honest lawyer, which is exellent, Scunthorpe's a bit of a dive.
Especially as you get to see a lot of it, the ground being about 3 miles from the station.

Hull anyone,another crapheap.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Luton by night and Hull by day are both particularly rough. Although I have to say, I expect Luton by day and Hull by night is not to pretty either

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You might find Stevenage makes a good bid at the weekend. It's like a cross between Milton Keynes and Luton, without the charm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here