Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the GRIMEST town/city you've visited for Football?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
From the places I've been to for the away day experience, I suppose Mansfield and West Brom are about the worst. My least favourite ground was the Vetch Field, not a great place to be on a wet Wednesday night after losing 1-0, with the prospect of a five hour drive home. Swansea is a fantastic city, their new ground is great, good pubs and beaches....but the Vetch was somthing else!

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Rotherham,lovely people who score an own goal to help us out and help send themselves down then still hold no malice and wish us luck when walking back to the car, But what a shite hole of a town and surely the only ground flattened to make way for a enlarged railway scrapyard.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
oh gillingham........was so shit we even got a refund at half time:lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Apart from the pub,the honest lawyer, which is exellent, Scunthorpe's a bit of a dive.
Especially as you get to see a lot of it, the ground being about 3 miles from the station.
I think its only about 2 and a half miles from the train station , a nice walk when its not cold or raining. Scunny used to have its own unique pong but this has now disappeared as the steelworks is on the verge of shutting down due to the recession.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Boothferry Park on a wet and windy winter's day in the 70s took some beating. Agree about Burslem, but at least the oatcake shop seems busy and some of the buildings give a clue to more prosperous times in the past. Swindon just sucks the life out of you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Boothferry Park on a wet and windy winter's day in the 70s took some beating. Agree about Burslem, but at least the oatcake shop seems busy and some of the buildings give a clue to more prosperous times in the past. Swindon just sucks the life out of you.

Went past Boothferry Park last month on the coach whilst on a day out to Hull. Looks like they have just left it to rot instead of redeveloping it into a retail park.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
i swear most are shit but in no particular order mine must be

burslem
barnsley
portsmouth
tottenham
hull

only nice ones i can think of....cheltenham...didnt mind torquay,bournemouth and shrewsbury

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Can't believe it's only been said once on here. There is a place worse than Oldham, Luton and Gillingham.

A place more desperate than Churchill Sq post-Tesco.

West Bromwich! Just awful, awful, awful!!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How come no one agrees with me about wigans old gound springfield park, about a fecking 4 mile walk from the train station. Through back to back terraced houses with pie shops on every corner and short dumpy miserable looking women and men (think they are breed short to fit down the pits or something) AND IT WAS THE SHITTYIST AWAY END EVER ............A MOUND OF GRASS WITH WOT LOOKED LIKE AN OLD COW SHED FOR COVER............try that on a cold snow bound mid week night.......SHIT

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How come no one agrees with me about wigans old gound springfield park, about a fecking 4 mile walk from the train station. Through back to back terraced houses with pie shops on every corner and short dumpy miserable looking women and men (think they are breed short to fit down the pits or something) AND IT WAS THE SHITTYIST AWAY END EVER ............A MOUND OF GRASS WITH WOT LOOKED LIKE AN OLD COW SHED FOR COVER............try that on a cold snow bound mid week night.......SHIT

Didn't we only play at Springfield Park twice? It's not a journey that many will remember.

I've been to the JJB Stadium and thought it was all right. Poor home support but a good ground not too far from the town centre. I can't see what's wrong with Wigan TBH

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you really want squalor then you have to go North of the border. For some reason the teams in green take the awards. My worst two experiences ever at a football match just in terms of how depressing, how terminally, clinically suicidally bad were with Celtic. It's no wonder the average life expectancy around the ground is about 10-15 years below UK averages.

The other was at Hibs ground to see a Celtic v Hibs match. The Hibbies are just like trainspotting but real and worse but they looked classy compared to the Celtic fans. I saw a Celtic fan piss in an empty pushchair. The area around Hibs is just incredible. You'd think it was East Germany. Why people stay there is beyond me.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Pokesdown in the rain isn't much fun. :laugh:

Not in the same League as some of the things said though.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Tilbury for a non-Albion trip takes a lot of beating.
Yeovil is the dreariest place and worst for pubs.
MK is a soulless dump.
Luton is a dump.
Gillingham is also a dump but has an amusing side to it.
Burnley is the grimmest northern trip despite the Ministry of Ale and Jimmy Anderson's cricket ground next to Turf Moor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here