Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the GRIMEST town/city you've visited for Football?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
burslem and boro. In middlesboro I couldn't understand a word the locals said, and they couldn't understand me. Made getting directions to the ground fun!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Portsmouth - Dog shit slalom.

Coventry - Six-fingered barmaids.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Grimsby, Luton, Gillingham! Birkenhead didnt seem too bad, but then i only saw the area around the ground, did visit Anfield and that area was very grim. Cant believe Northampton got a mention, never thought it was too bad up there recently.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Do you mean grimiest or grimmest? Either way, another vote for Rotherham. Driving up the M1, you've got a choice between turning into Sheffield on your left, which looks reasonably prosperous. But no, you're turning right, into miles of abandoned steel works and into a place that has had the shit kicked right out of it. I admire what they're trying to do (MAGMA is an amazing visit) and I admire the defiance of the people who stay, but it must be depressing.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Stoke is horrible, cold and unfriendly

Burnley's club/bar was good but outside the place was like Upton Park in the 70/80s full of BNP posters

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
can't believe people have nominated Sheffield - you must have lived pretty sheltered lives ! loads of green areas (most parks in the UK i think), has had lots spent on the city and good night life.

the area around leyton orient gets my vote, outside london i found Ipswich a pretty grim place.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't see what's wrong with Cleethorpes... I mean, it's not brilliant, but... There's no football team in Grimsby.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Burslem is stuck in Victorian times - the houses, the people and the sentiment. I am sure they still have kids going up chimneys there.

Grimsby - is depressing (Well Cleethorpes) and again seems to be stuck in a time warp but this time mid sixties.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Crewe will always stand out for me *shudder*

then Blackpool

a lot of people seem to be getting "town" and "ground" mixed up. Port vale is not a place, it's in Burslem. Chesterfield is a relatively pleasant Market town. Top 5 grimmest would have to be Burnley, oldham, Luton, Bradford, gillingham, though they are all away trips I enjoy, with the exception of gillingham.

Chesterfield may be a pleasant market town, but what I saw in 2001 looked like a scene from a mix between the Blitz and 70's northern squalor.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Birkenhead didnt seem too bad, but then i only saw the area around the ground, .

Tranmere itself is reasonably well off but Believe me a quick wander around the town centre or the North End would persuade you otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here