Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the GRIMEST town/city you've visited for Football?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Can't believe no one has said Gillingham!!

Add to that Stoke, Walsall, Luton, Millwall/Palace/Brentford/Barnet all classed as crap London.

Oh and Carlisle is pretty damn grim too.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Luton and probably worst of all Darlington.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh and Moscow, other than the area around the Kremlin it's bloody shocking.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
All good shouts

For me the top 5 shitpits are:

(ascending)

5: BIrkenhead
4: Burnley
3: Gillingham
2: Stoke
1: Pompey

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Burnley. Horrible place, horrible people and we had to peer into most pubs to check if any people were in them.....as most looked shut-down from the outside.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Rotherham for me

Grimsby and Port Vale not far behind

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Be easier and quicker to list the grounds which are in areas which aren't s......es. Even those grounds which are in nice settings are pretty grim to get to, eg Wycombe up some godawful industrial estate on a one way road, but you do get good views of the Bucks countryside once there. Torquay I seem to recall is in the middle of Devon b & b world and not too bad.

New grounds are generally in fairly anonymous settings, whilst old grounds are in the middle of decaying city centres.

If I had to choose the worst, and there are so many competitors, I think it would have to be Luton.

Oct 25, 2003
Luton and probably worst of all Darlington.

darlington? really?!

strange choice, it's not great but nowhere near awful, got some very decent pubs with great beer, the locals are generally friendly and feethams was a fine little ground (oh, and there's HOGANS)

STRANGE choice

luton is the worst for me, it's flair points are outweighed by the fact that the whole experience makes you want to have a shower straight after........grim place

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
darlington? really?!

strange choice, it's not great but nowhere near awful, got some very decent pubs with great beer, the locals are generally friendly and feethams was a fine little ground (oh, and there's HOGANS)

STRANGE choice

luton is the worst for me, it's flair points are outweighed by the fact that the whole experience makes you want to have a shower straight after........grim place

Spent some very happy times in Darlo and Feethams was a lovely place to watch a game.

Liverpool's ground is obviously fantastic and the city is not without its charms, but the streets around Anfield are some of the most deprived in Europe, I believe. You could probably buy the freeholds of the homes in several roads with a week of Torres' salary.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Torn between Rotherham and Wolverhampton albeit both trips were probably more than 15 years ago. Saving grace for Wolves was that it was at that time when they wouldn't have beaten us even if we had 4 men sent off and 6 walking wounded.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without a shadow of doubt Darlington. Their old ground was not even non league standard and every time I have been there it has rained. Followed by Scunthorpe and Rotherham.

Hartlepool on the other hand the locals were very friendly and somewhat civilised.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Hartlepool is probably the strangest and worst place i have been to. Went up there last season and walked down the high street at about 1pm on a saturday afternoon, and there was absolutely nobody there, plus all the pubs and shops were closed for some reason :shrug:

Gillingham and Luton definately deserve a mention aswell though, and to a lesser extent Oldham

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
For me, Grimsby/Cleethorpes,though Oldham,Rochdale,Blackburn are poor........and to make me less prejudiced against the grimy north,how about Swindon?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
oldham or the port vale area of stoke

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Oldham.
Went to our last game of the season there back in 1978 and it really was the most depressing place I'd ever visited. Derilect mills, boarded up houses, grimy cobblestoned streets, and the ground was a dump. Judging by the other comments on this thread it sounds like it hasn't changed much.

:eek:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Hartlepool on the other hand the locals were very friendly and somewhat civilised.

Can't fault the locals in Hartlepool, but like I said, it is depressing as hell as a place isn't it?

Can't believe I left out Oldham until someone above mentioned it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here