Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is going on at Liverpool?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a load of old tripe! did you read the report, I did and Suarez claims he called Evra Negro whilst trying to diffuse the situation.

Have I got this right, you are trying to claim that someone aimed to diffuse a situation with a black man by calling him a negro?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very valuable and skilful player/asset not only accused but found guilty of a racial slur on opponent, Liverpool back him to the hilt. A fan accused of racially abusing player, and Liverpool would ban him for life if found guilty. Some inconsistency, mixed messages on the racism issue from Anfield...

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Not a good few weeks on the Red three quarters of Merseyside recently.
That fact that Downing seems to have had handbags with an ex girlfriend does not surprise me as any male over the age of 12 would give him a pasting.
From what I understand, from a journo on the Echo it appears that three lads were questioned in Stanly Park after the game having been singled out but it appears they said "manc" bastard which is fine with us. If however, anyone is accused justly, of being racist I would sugest they move out of the city for a while because scouse pride is very low at the moment and feelings are running high. Whatever many people think of Liverpool, we love our city dearly and care passionately about its reputation.
Of course it now seems Suarez is a target for any team outside of England so I hope we can keep hold of him, because he is not a racist, just perhaps ignorant of our culture and he would be a sad loss to the PL.
Adde to that LFc draw the manc bastards in the FA cup......must be some justice after all!

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Have I got this right, you are trying to claim that someone aimed to diffuse a situation with a black man by calling him a negro?

In Uruguay its not deemed racist. Ok I know that im gonna get the "well were in England" Blah Blah, but I went to coach football in America for a year and here are some of the things they say on a day to day basis.

Shag (slang): means to "get" the amount of times I heard lads saying there gonna "shag" the ball was mad.

Wanker, they generally thought that we Brits called eachother this when we greeted eachother.

I know this may sound crazy but cultural differences do exist and Gus was right to say so. Suarez now will have learnt his lesson so I assume will not happen again but if it does then he should be banned for a season. I also looked into what "your sisters pussy" meant and that is one of the most derogatory things you could say to someone with a Hispanic background, yet Evra admits to saying that and gets away scott free.

Im not having a pop at you I generally think people need to have a more reserved judgement when there is not much evidence to go on Liverpool had every right to defend there player. John Terry is guilty as guilty can be we have all seen the evidence yet Chelsea back him too CRAZY.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326051268.005706.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They employed experts for the Suarez case who said "negro" CAN be used in an affectionate way in Uruguay, but that it can also be used in a pejorative sense. If you look at t the exchange in question, it's quite clearly neither friendly nor affectionate, therefore it was concluded, not unreasonably, that Suarez was being abusive, in a racially aggravated manner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In Uruguay its not deemed racist. Ok I know that im gonna get the "well were in England" Blah Blah, but I went to coach football in America for a year and here are some of the things they say on a day to day basis.

Shag (slang): means to "get" the amount of times I heard lads saying there gonna "shag" the ball was mad.

Wanker, they generally thought that we Brits calle eachother this when we greeted eachother.

I know this may sound crazy but cultural differences do exist and Gus was right to say so. Suarez now will have learnt his lesson so I assume will not happen again but if it does then he should be banned for a season. I also looked into what "your sisters pussy" meant and that is one of the most derogatory things you could say to someone with a Hispanic background, yet Evra admits to saying that and gets away scott free.

Im not having a pop at you I generally think people need to have a more reserved judgement when there is not much evidence to go on Liverpool had every right to defend there player. John Terry is guilty as guilty can be we have all seen the evidence yet Chelsea back him too CRAZY.

And YOU asked ME if I'd read the report.

Yes, I am fully aware that in some circumstances negro is an affectionate term and not deemed racist in some countries. I'm certain the whole nation now knows this as its been done to death in the media. But Suarez was embroiled in an arguemrnt, used the term 10 times and said he didn't talk to negros. I struggle to see how this was affectionate. In some respects this is irrelevant as we do not bring people's skin colour into arguements in this country. Suarez has lived her long enough to know this.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may be wrong and will be called a racist but I don think that this incident with the Oldham player is helping the racial problems. Would the people being shouted achieve more by just ignoring it as our fans do to the homophobic chants generally. I think that this racist thing is being taken too far and is more damaging than healing the tension now.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I may be wrong and will be called a racist but I don think that this incident with the Oldham player is helping the racial problems. Would the people being shouted achieve more by just ignoring it as our fans do to the homophobic chants generally. I think that this racist thing is being taken too far and is more damaging than healing the tension now.

What? Seriously, what?

I think you'll find it's easy for us to ignore the homophobic chants because, believe it or not, most of us aren't actually gay.

You think the way forward is for victims of racial abuse to ignore it? That'll help 'heal the tension?'

Are you serious?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A Baz after my own heart, except....

1. They havent been a top side for almost 21 years (not "a few years").
2. Unsavoury aspects of their fans-come on, lets name one-Heysel. Never gets mentioned when their blame culture is in full flow!

Only bit I disagree with you on is, whilst they are my most hated side in the Prem (for all the resasons you mention) and am loving their failure year after year, I will never hate them anything like as much as Palace!!

Apart from the European cup in 2005 and the final the year later.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Loving the irony of the FA Cup draw yesterday with Liverpool vs Man Utd and QPR vs Chelsea. What next - Fyffes to cash in by setting up a banana kiosk outside the Klanfield gates?

And what WERE the Liverpool players thinking with those Suarez T-shirts? You wonder how former Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson would have dealt with this situation, him being one of the most dignified men in football.

I agree with Tooting - some terrible mixed messages coming out of Liverpool.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
People may want to hold their horses on this one. A Beeb journalist in the crowd where it happened is adamant they were shouting "manc bastard" and not "black bastard".

Not unlike 'Seagulls' being heard as 'Seig Heil' (by a tabloid journalist naturally) isn't it ?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
What? Seriously, what?

I think you'll find it's easy for us to ignore the homophobic chants because, believe it or not, most of us aren't actually gay.

You think the way forward is for victims of racial abuse to ignore it? That'll help 'heal the tension?'

Are you serious?

I agree with B.G's comments. You cannot ignore racist abuse any more than you can ignore any abuse. But we are in danger of inciting more racism by inflicting heavier punishment if the word black preceeds any assault. I'm in no way defending the scum convicted in the Stephen Lawrence case, but how do other murder victims families feel to see a dedicated police unit investigating a crime committed 19 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here