Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is going on at Liverpool?

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I was at the game tonight as a friend had managed to grab us a couple of tickets on the kop (in an attempt to progress on our way to the 92). The incident came completely out of the blue, and although we were sat on the far side of the kop it soon became clear that someone had shouted some racist abuse (this could of course prove incorrect as suggested by the beeb.) At least this was the rumour that quickly spread across the stand. Me and my brentford supporting mate exchanged a quick word about how Liverpool really didn't need this right now, and how an extremely enjoyable game had been ruined by some mindless idiot (to be fair, all the fans around us shared this view). During this brief chat was when the Liverpool fans as a collective really let themselves down, no more than a minute after the incident, they first booed the player, then upon 'confirming' that the player had complained about racist abuse, started singing the Luis suarez song repeatedly everytime he touched the ball. Left me and my mate shocked. Ruined an otherwise entertaining evening.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Personally, I couldn't give a flying

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Herein lies one of the biggest problems of the information age. Let's hang draw and quarter the accused with no evidence whatsoever. The so called established media (Mirror & Guardian) have fallen into this trap tonight

i kind of think liverpool have brought on all this 'suspicion' themselves tho to be honest, what with the whole club backing someone who is (imo) blatantly guilty of racist behaviour, would really like to seee the club brought to account for all of this

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I was at the game tonight as a friend had managed to grab us a couple of tickets on the kop (in an attempt to progress on our way to the 92). The incident came completely out of the blue, and although we were sat on the far side of the kop it soon became clear that someone had shouted some racist abuse (this could of course prove incorrect as suggested by the beeb.) At least this was the rumour that quickly spread across the stand. Me and my brentford supporting mate exchanged a quick word about how Liverpool really didn't need this right now, and how an extremely enjoyable game had been ruined by some mindless idiot (to be fair, all the fans around us shared this view). During this brief chat was when the Liverpool fans as a collective really let themselves down, no more than a minute after the incident, they first booed the player, then upon 'confirming' that the player had complained about racist abuse, started singing the Luis suarez song repeatedly everytime he touched the ball. Left me and my mate shocked. Ruined an otherwise entertaining evening.

scouse scum! (not you)..

liverpool_one

Feb 12, 2004
Liverpool, United Kingdom
our own manager publicly backed someone who in your opinion is guilty of racist behaviour do you want him brought to account too?
As for last night incident none of us know what realy happened yet, all we have is the not so reliable media acount and someone who claims to have been at the game.
as for the scouse scum comment f***ing grow up what are you 10?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
our own manager publicly backed someone who in your opinion is guilty of racist behaviour do you want him brought to account too?
As for last night incident none of us know what realy happened yet, all we have is the not so reliable media acount and someone who claims to have been at the game.

As the person who started the thread (and no, OBVIOUSLY I don't REALLY think that LFC is the mirror image of the Deep South in the 1950s, it was some slightly poor satire) I am a bit troubled by what I've seen in the way of reaction this evening all round.

Some black journalists who I follow on Twitter have been getting some nasty abuse from Liverpool fans tonight, who are putting club before basic human decency.

And as regards Dalglish, he is a revered figure on Merseyside. Racism is more important than one player, and he hasn't made that crystal clear. That could encourage small BNP elements in the support to kick off, if even the manager isn't giving the right signals.

I'm not sure now Liverpool have got themselves into this mess, but it is going to take some getting out of now. The spotlight is on.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the red side of liverpool has always had a nauseatingly self centred element to it .........much prefer the toffee's tbh.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Reuben Hazell, a former Oldham player who was at the game, has tweeted that he went into the away dressing room after the match & the player in question has stated he was twice called a black bastard by a bloke on the Kop.

Now either it was said, or something else was said that was misheard, but the claims by a number of Liverpool fans that because they didn't hear it, it can't have happened, are ludicrous. Approximately 44,000 people wouldn't have heard the comments of one bloke either but it doesn't mean they can be rubbished. It doesn't make all LFC fans racist if it did happen, but equally a lot of them are doing their club no favours with their blind declarations that it MUST be a media witchhunt.

Stumpy Tim

Well one person who was there has just written on this thread that when it happened the lovely Liverpool fans booed the player and sang Suarez songs. If that's not SCUMMY I don't know what is.

Horrible club supported by horrible fans

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009

seeing as you were there was it:
A) A kop full of support of the racism?
B) The kop supporting the club who they believe everyone is against? And that now every opponent can simply claim racism at every opportunity and clearly haven't read (or don't believe) the Suarez case file.
C) They knew he was called a manc and believe the player tried to claim otherwise?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
seeing as you were there was it:
A) A kop full of support of the racism?
B) The kop supporting the club who they believe everyone is against? And that now every opponent can simply claim racism at every opportunity and clearly haven't read (or don't believe) the Suarez case file.
C) They knew he was called a manc and believe the player tried to claim otherwise?

If Edna is right and it was one person shouting "something" - if it was loud enough for the player to hear, presumably plenty of other people would have heard it too and the truth will out eventually. I can't imagine a couple of hundred people will keep shtum out of "loyalty" to a fellow fan.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think fans should make more effort to pronounce their abuse with a greater degree of accuracy.

Maybe every chant should have a disclaimer sung after it, like every work e-mail.

"You're going home in a trawler ...... Disclaimer : We the above singers, hereby declare that said lyrics refer to the opposition team, hereafter referred to as 'Hull' and any similarity to any other team, or any other town, city or village that has, has had, or will have in the future and trawlers or any other mode of transport for means of traversing expanses of water. In addition 'home' refers to the domicile of said oppostion team and is not meant oto infer that they could not live in caravans or houseboats. The above singers can not be held responsible for the mis-hearing of said lyrics."

There would ony be time for one song per match !!

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Maybe every chant should have a disclaimer sung after it, like every work e-mail.

"You're going home in a trawler ...... Disclaimer : We the above singers, hereby declare that said lyrics refer to the opposition team, hereafter referred to as 'Hull' and any similarity to any other team, or any other town, city or village that has, has had, or will have in the future and trawlers or any other mode of transport for means of traversing expanses of water. In addition 'home' refers to the domicile of said oppostion team and is not meant oto infer that they could not live in caravans or houseboats. The above singers can not be held responsible for the mis-hearing of said lyrics."

:lol: Very good.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

Or maybe we could institute a system of text abuse. We send texts with the abuse we wish to deliver and the player at whom we wish it directed. It is processed by a central computer which automatically alerts the police to racist or homophobic content but sends on the "good" abuse to the PA announcer who delivers it for you.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Or maybe we could institute a system of text abuse. We send texts with the abuse we wish to deliver and the player at whom we wish it directed. It is processed by a central computer which automatically alerts the police to racist or homophobic content but sends on the "good" abuse to the PA announcer who delivers it for you.

and the "receiving" fans acould send a facebook "Like" if they're happy with it and are not going to complain to the law.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here