What is going on at Liverpool?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Calling someone a Manc bastard because he plays for Oldham, a third division team in an FA Cup match thats already dead & buried would seem a little unnecessary, if not downright improbable. Bit like us playing (say) AFC Totton & somebody screaming "f***ing scummer" at one of their players when we've won the game 5-1. Why would you do that?

If that really is the case, the bloke who shouted it displays a breathtaking lack of grace in victory for a Liverpool fan.

That's what I thought. Seems a bit odd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm surprised that Gwylan, of all people, seems to be looking to slam down a guilty verdict on nothing more than a rumour.

I'm not looking for a guilty verdict, I just think that something very offensive must have been said to reduce a footballer to tears - that's a very unusual occurrence. And two newspapers reported that arrests have been made on suspicion of racial abuse so I was scarcely basing something on Twitter rumours (not something I would do).

I note that Guardian report has been edited since I put it up though

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Herein lies one of the biggest problems of the information age. Let's hang draw and quarter the accused with no evidence whatsoever. The so called established media (Mirror & Guardian) have fallen into this trap tonight

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not looking for a guilty verdict, I just think that something very offensive must have been said to reduce a footballer to tears - that's a very unusual occurrence. And two newspapers reported that arrests have been made on suspicion of racial abuse so I was scarcely basing something on Twitter rumours (not something I would do).

I note that Guardian report has been edited since I put it up though

There's a world of difference between a footballer believing he heard something and a footballer hearing something.

(To save any 'told you so' shit coming back in future, depending on his this story develops - I absolutely support all actions against anyone proven of racist abuse. Proven being key.)

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Herein lies one of the biggest problems of the information age. Let's hang draw and quarter the accused with no evidence whatsoever. The so called established media (Mirror & Guardian) have fallen into this trap tonight

Yep, and (illegal if anywhere else but hiding in a football crowd) abuse comes from fans of all clubs, not just LFC with hacks looking to stir it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's a world of difference between a footballer believing he heard something and a footballer hearing something.

(To save any 'told you so' shit coming back in future, depending on his this story develops - I absolutely support all actions against anyone proven of racist abuse. Proven being key.)

Of course there's a difference between the two and yes, your theory is a plausible one. And the thought that you'd support any form of racial abuse hadn't even crossed my mind

Just to reiterate, I posted links to Guardian and Mirror stories to demonstrate that rumours of racism weren't purely fancies of Twitter. And I posted twice that the fan was arrested on "suspicion of" - so I don't know where this idea that I declared him guilty came from.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Calling someone a Manc bastard because he plays for Oldham, a third division team in an FA Cup match thats already dead & buried would seem a little unnecessary, if not downright improbable. Bit like us playing (say) AFC Totton & somebody screaming "f***ing scummer" at one of their players when we've won the game 5-1. Why would you do that?

If that really is the case, the bloke who shouted it displays a breathtaking lack of grace in victory for a Liverpool fan.

What if it was Croydon FC?

Up there its a city rivalry as well as football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here