Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is going on at Liverpool?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Not wanting to speculate on this case but Liverpool have always had more than their fair share of racist fans. Anyone who encountered their fans in the 80's will testify to this. You only need to watch televised games to see the level of abuse opposition players get when they take throw-ins and corners from gobby little shits near the front every game. Not saying they're the only club like this but they're definitely one of the worst. I've got a couple of Scouse mates who are Liverpool fans, so I'm not anti-Scouse, far from it. A bit like Newcastle though the media (apart from The Sun of course) have long had this 'wonderful Liverpool fans' bollocks when in my experience those two clubs have some of the most unpleasant fans I've ever encountered.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Well I encountered a real loudmouth racist Liverpool scumbag - could have been the one who did the shouting? - in the Evening Star after the Liverpool game. Last orders had just been called and one of a group of Scousers stormed past shouting 'You'd have served me if I was black! You''d have served me if I was a f***ing n***er!' I told him to take his racist shit out of our pub and he threatened to 'rip my face off' - at which point his mates, not seemingly worried about the racism but the prospect of a full scale punch up, pulled him out of the pub. We were all flabbergasted. It just came from nowhere! And it's not like the Star is full of Rastas or hip hoppers, innit.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
A steward's match report states a fan shouted 'Manc bastard', so clearly it has been misheard by the player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A steward's match report states a fan shouted 'Manc bastard', so clearly it has been misheard by the player.

The liverpool steward's match report, says the liverpool fan shouted manc bastard. Given their reaction to the Suarez incident and ruling, forgive me for being a touch cynical about the accuracy or Livepool's stance on racism in football in general.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure now Liverpool have got themselves into this mess, but it is going to take some getting out of now. The spotlight is on.

Part of the reason is the club continue to whine about the event and still issue misguided press releases and still back Suarez even though the 115 page report is as conclusive as it is damning. Since the report Suarez released a pathetic apology which did not really say sorry and Liverpool have asked Man U for a high level clear-the-air summit. United have rightly asked why? As much as I dislike United they have handled this (and Gus') with dignity.

If any good is to come out of this, I now hope people start to stand up to Liverpool instead of treating them softly-softly and with far too much respect. This has been the case since Hillsborough, and always the case whenever the Hillsborough families come out and oppose a return of safe terracing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
people in Liverpool "cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance about the rest of society".

It says Liverpudlians "wallow" in their "victim status", adding it is part of the "deeply unattractive psyche" of many in the city.

Boris Johnston a few years ago

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Liverpool have now announced they will impose a lifetime ban on any supporter found to have racially abused Oldham defender Tom Adeyemi. I presume they are writing up the press release detailing Suarez's similar ban/dismissal as I type?

Feb 14, 2010
After palace and pompey, Liverpool are the side I want to lose every game they play. But the actions of one player that had a go at another player using what is seen in England as racist words, then followed by some blokes in the Kop shouting racist abuse is hardly a major incident. However, could you imagine if it was Millwall? The friendly press would have been hostile beyond belief and would have taken every chance to have a go at Millwall. The problem with the scousers is not that they are racist its that they actually believe their own press.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Good to see that despite being suspended, Suarez is a true Liverpool fan and was in the Kop on Friday night..........

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Its understandable that Liverpool are so favoured by the media as so many of their ex players now work on TV & radio etc. However if they continue to be a mid-table side as they have been for a few years now I assume that their ex players will no longer be in such high demand and this bias in their favour will reduce.
Lets be honest they live on their past glories & these days are no more of a top side than a club like Villa. For some reason however they seem to think they have a divine right to challenge for the league every season. The media also constantly go on about their wonderful fans when most football fans will be fully aware of what they are actually like.
Liverpool were a great side in the 80's but that was over 20 years ago & of little relevance now & the arrogance of alot of their fans is based on ancient history. They also seem to totally forget some very unsavoury aspects of what went on in the 80's involving their fans.
They always play the victim and seem to actually revel in it. The actions of their manager since the Suarez incident has been a prime example and probably contributed to the alleged racial abuse of the Oldham player. I, for one, hate them nearly as much as Palace (as you may have noticed from this post!).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Lets be honest they live on their past glories & these days are no more of a top side than a club like Villa. For some reason however they seem to think they have a divine right to challenge for the league every season. The media also constantly go on about their wonderful fans when most football fans will be fully aware of what they are actually like.
Liverpool were a great side in the 80's but that was over 20 years ago & of little relevance now & the arrogance of alot of their fans is based on ancient history. They also seem to totally forget some very unsavoury aspects of what went on in the 80's involving their fans.
They always play the victim and seem to actually revel in it. The actions of their manager since the Suarez incident has been a prime example and probably contributed to the alleged racial abuse of the Oldham player. I, for one, hate them nearly as much as Palace (as you may have noticed from this post!).

A Baz after my own heart, except....

1. They havent been a top side for almost 21 years (not "a few years").
2. Unsavoury aspects of their fans-come on, lets name one-Heysel. Never gets mentioned when their blame culture is in full flow!

Only bit I disagree with you on is, whilst they are my most hated side in the Prem (for all the resasons you mention) and am loving their failure year after year, I will never hate them anything like as much as Palace!!

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Part of the reason is the club continue to whine about the event and still issue misguided press releases and still back Suarez even though the 115 page report is as conclusive as it is damning. Since the report Suarez released a pathetic apology which did not really say sorry and Liverpool have asked Man U for a high level clear-the-air summit. United have rightly asked why? As much as I dislike United they have handled this (and Gus') with dignity.

If any good is to come out of this, I now hope people start to stand up to Liverpool instead of treating them softly-softly and with far too much respect. This has been the case since Hillsborough, and always the case whenever the Hillsborough families come out and oppose a return of safe terracing.

What a load of old tripe! did you read the report, I did and Suarez claims he called Evra Negro whilst trying to diffuse the situation. Evra admitted and is seen mouthing on telly in spanish before anything happened why did you kick me? Suarez replies what? Evra replies to that in spanish "Your sisters Pussy" Suraez then says what did you just say in Spanish again and Evra says it again. I suggest you read the report in full. Its all hearsay and non conclusive and Liverpool have every right to defend Suarez

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
They always play the victim and seem to actually revel in it. .. Spot on.

They also forget the diving and cheating that won them many a penalty in front of the Kop. Just look at our cup run. We had to beat them despite Liverpool being awarded their usual iffy penalty.

Dislike palace and pompey more for obvious reasons but after that, Liverpool are the club I really cannot stand. All that bollocks about the boot room and how wonderful the chirpy Scousers are. Of course its not Liverpool fans fault for what the press writes but the sad thing is.. they believe it.

Just imagine if these latest incidents or Heysel had been Millwall.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Cantona had a different way of dealing with offensive/abusive twats in the crowd.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I wonder if the Liverpool players will wear T-shirts in support of the "misheard" fan before their next game...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here