Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What in your opinion constitues an Albion Legend?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
I would say the likes of Mayo and OGH are club stalwarts, not club legends - you have to raise the bar a bit in quality/acheivement to qualify for the latter description.

In the last 10 years, Zamora and Dick Knight definitely, then Cullip and Micky Adams almost certainly would be my sole picks. Virgo - maybe if he'd been here just a bit longer than 18 months as first-teamer.....................

From where does Cullips name appear what did he ever do for Brighton other than play a few good games in the lower division and a lot of gash games in the Championship how could he ever be described as a legend in the sense of players who served the club well over a long time, the likes of Eric Gill, Norman Gall, Steve Foster, Glen Wilson and as somebody said earlier the best Chairman we ever had Mike Bamber.

BensGrandad said:
From where does Cullips name appear what did he ever do for Brighton other than play a few good games in the lower division and a lot of gash games in the Championship how could he ever be described as a legend in the sense of players who served the club well over a long time, the likes of Eric Gill, Norman Gall, Steve Foster, Glen Wilson and as somebody said earlier the best Chairman we ever had Mike Bamber.

I'm going to be economical with words for once :)

Just read this!

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=42165

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just goes to show that there are a number of people about who have a misguided view of what is a legend.

How many games did he play for us certainly nothing compared to the likes of Gill, Foster, Gall or Wilson. So how does he become a legend.

In 20 years time will Brighton supporters speak of him like they do Peter WARD I think not, very few even mention him now some 3 years later.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Players like Nathan Jones will still be talked about in 20 years time as they contributed to the history of this club and helped restore pride in the club.

Jones played in nearly 200 games (including sub appearances) again a sign of how different the game is now.

Oh and Cullip had a lot more than a few good games for this club. I don't know why you actually still support this club, I've not seen you say anything positive in god knows how long.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
. I don't know why you actually still support this club, I've not seen you say anything positive in god knows how long.

Because it has been a major part of my life for the best part of 60 years but what I cannot stand is fan adulation for a mediocre run of the mill player.

To me a legend is somebody who has played the vast majority of his career at my club with exceptional ability and in so doing has been a notable member of that team.

Cullip was a member of 3 promotion winning sides but thought that he was better than he was and that clubs would come rushing after him but they didnt and now he is back where is most proficient Div 1. How long was he on the transfer list and allegedly nobody enquired about him nearly 2 seasons.

A reasonable player in the lower divisions but lets keep this all in perspective he was never going to go any higher than Div 1 and be successful. Mayo as a contrast was a member of those same teams and gave as much as Cullip and has done for a much longer time than Cullip but does he get the fan adulation . NO

You would like something positive.

I think that Chippy will again be a major force in Div 1, CKR will score a load of goals, the defence will not conceede many goals and we shall finish above half way possibly near the play offsdue tos good 2nd half of the season. MM will not be manager at Christmas, although I hope that he is still manager because it would mean that we have excelled ourselves in the first half of the season but if not he will go and Dean Wilkins will take over as caretaker manager until the end of the season.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Because it has been a major part of my life for the best part of 60 years but what I cannot stand is fan adulation for a mediocre run of the mill player.

To me a legend is somebody who has played the vast majority of his career at my club with exceptional ability and in so doing has been a notable member of that team.

Cullip was a member of 3 promotion winning sides but thought that he was better than he was and that clubs would come rushing after him but they didnt and now he is back where is most proficient Div 1. How long was he on the transfer list and allegedly nobody enquired about him nearly 2 seasons.

A reasonable player in the lower divisions but lets keep this all in perspective he was never going to go any higher than Div 1 and be successful. Mayo as a contrast was a member of those same teams and gave as much as Cullip and has done for a much longer time than Cullip but does he get the fan adulation . NO

Utter Tosh. Cullip was not on the transfer list for nearly 2 seasons, he may of asked to move on at one stage of his Albion career, but changed his mind and put in decent performances leading the side.

Looking at two of your criteria for a legend its clear that not many players would ever be capable of making that status as football has changed so much that is very rare to see players be at a club for a majority of their career. However Danny Cullip was certainly a notable member of the team he was part of, he lifted two trophies remember.

Kerry Mayo is given fan adulation, however most of the fan adulation is saved for players who have left the club and their career with us is over as they have achieved all they can for the club. Kerry still has more to achieve with the club.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am fairly certain he went on the transfer list during one season and was on it all over the summer and then came off of the list about January of the next season when he signed a new contract but I wont argue on that point.

As has been said football is all about opinions and varying opinions spice up life.

I think that McShane was far far better than Cullip as is Butters and so will Hinshlewood and El Abd be in the future.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Yes McShane is better than Cullip, no-one is going to argue that fact. It's part of the reason he's at Man Utd.

What you cannot deny is that Cullip was a fantastic player for us over the course of his carrer with us. What he achieved with other clubs is of no consequence to his performances here.

Also going on the transfer list one year and coming off it the following January is not 2 seasons on the list, its not even one full season now is it.

Last edited:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
Utter Tosh. Cullip was not on the transfer list for nearly 2 seasons, he may of asked to move on at one stage of his Albion career, but changed his mind and put in decent performances leading the side.

Looking at two of your criteria for a legend its clear that not many players would ever be capable of making that status as football has changed so much that is very rare to see players be at a club for a majority of their career. However Danny Cullip was certainly a notable member of the team he was part of, he lifted two trophies remember.

No he didnh't. PauL Rogers was skipper for the two championships. Cullip was captain at the playoff final only. He went on the transfer list when Adams left and didn't go back on until the Jan after Coppell joined so was on the list for over a year (ie spanned two seasons)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Zed Seagull said:
One man can rise above all legends mentioned. I give you .................

Charlie Webb

Absolutely.

Surely he must be number one in any list of Albion legends?

I'm drinking tea from an Albion Legends mug right now (shamefully Webb's not on it) but there's a pretty good list: Tommy Cook, Johnny McNichol, Peter Ward, Mark Lawrenson and Garry Nelson

Ned said:
No he didnh't. PauL Rogers was skipper for the two championships.

Up to a point - Rogers was a peripheral figure for much of the Div 2 championship run, the torch was being passed to the real on-pitch leader, eg. in the key game of the season, the outclassing of Reading at Withdean.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
London Irish said:
Oddly enough - there used to be an list of legends on the official site - but for some reason it isn't there anymore. It can still be tracked down on google.

The "official" list then at that time (2001??) is this: notice a certain R Reinelt :)

Micky Adams Harry Baldwin Ian Chapman
Tommy Cook Steve Foster Norman Gall
Eric Gill Brian Horton Jimmy Langley
Mark Lawrenson Johnny McNichol Alan Mullery
Peter O'Sullivan Robbie Reinelt Bobby Smith
Gary Stevens Des Tennant Peter Ward
Charlie Webb Dean Wilkins Glen Wilson
Ernie Wilson

I must have missed the vote.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Ned said:
No he didnh't. PauL Rogers was skipper for the two championships. Cullip was captain at the playoff final only. He went on the transfer list when Adams left and didn't go back on until the Jan after Coppell joined so was on the list for over a year (ie spanned two seasons)

Cullip still lifted the 2nd div trophy alongside Paul Rogers as both had skippered the side during that season. On the other point BG claimed that Cullip was on the transfer list for 2 years not over the span of two seasons, they are entirly different things.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: txxxers

macky said:
what about the chairman who broghtr clough taylor mullery
ward foster lawro horton good times
first div football
sometimes you lot make me so angry
call yourself fans
should be ashamed
four pages and no mention ??
what about people like wilson
40 plus years at the club
you lot make me laugh

I refer my honorable friend to the answer I gave at the bottom of page 1.

Perhaps you ought to get some glasses before attempting to slag people off....just a thought

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
supaseagull said:
If we are talking legends then...

Richard Tiltman
Grant Horscroft
Teddy Maybank
Ashley Neal
Darren Hughes
David Cameron

:albion:

spot on

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Re: Re: txxxers

Dies Irae said:
I refer my honorable friend to the answer I gave at the bottom of page 1.

Perhaps you ought to get some glasses before attempting to slag people off....just a thought
i appolegise to you
i never saw that one :glare:
but there should have been a lot more mentoin of bamber i
think
without him i dont think we would have had a history

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
What in your opinion constitutes an Albion Legend?

Starting from my early days of watching The Albion:

Harry Baldwin, Jack Ball, Jack Mansell, Jess Willard, Jimmy Leadbetter, Billy Reed, Johnny McNichol, Albert Mundy, Eric Gill, Jimmy Langley, Des Tennant, Ken Whitfield, Steve Burtenshaw, Glen Wison, Denis Gordon, Bert Addinall, Peter Harburn, Dennis Foreman, Frankie Howard, Roy Jennings & Adrian Thorne.

In between times players like:

Jack Bertolini, Jimmy Collins, DEREK LECK, Bobby Smith, Mike Tiddy, Johnny Goodchild, John Napier, Kit Napier, Dave Turner, Eddie Spearritt, Charlie Livesey, Nobby Lawton, Willie Irvine, Stewart Henderson, Howard Wilkinson, John Templeman, Brian Powney, Norman Gall, Keith Dublin, Peter Grummitt, Fred Binney, Harry Wilson, Graham Winstanley, Steve Piper, Ken Tiler, Tony Towner, Nobby Horton, Andy Rollings, Peter O'Sullivan, Graham Mosely, Eric Steele, Perry Digweed, Paul Wood, Robert Codner, John Crumplin, John Keeley, Eric Young, Danny Wilson, Gary Nelson, John Byrne, Mike Small, Mark Lawrenson, Peter Ward, Ian Mellor, Jimmy Case, Gerry Ryan, Steve Foster, Steve Gatting, Gary Stevens, Michael Robinson, Andy Ritchie, Gordon Smith, Paul McCarthy, Steve Penney, Peter Smith, Ian Chapman, Clive Walker, Dean Wilkins, Stuart Tuck, Kurt Nogan, Stuart Storer & Robbie Reinelt.

Up to date:

Paul Rogers, Bobby Zamora, Adam Virgo, Charlie Oatway, Richard Carpenter, Guy Butters, Kerry Mayo & Gary Hart.

There have been many many legends to wear the blue & white.

Last edited:

Re: What in your opinion constitutes an Albion Legend?

nobody's dupe said:
There have been many many legends to wear the blue & white.

What managers/chairmen would you add to those players?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here