Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What in your opinion constitues an Albion Legend?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
For what it's worth, I'd say that 90% of the time I've told people I'm a Brighton fan, they've mentioned "that bloke in the headband, what was his name". Although recently, that's been supplanted by "what's happening with the new ground then?" :down: :angry:

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
yorkshire seagull said:
Certainly Kerry Mayo.

Can't believe the number of people mentioning Gary Hart here - in my opinion, he is a long way off being considered a legend. One of the most overrated players at the club, he should have been released when we had the chance.

Forgot to mention Garry Nelson - true legend....:clap: :clap:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Theatre of Trees said:
But Reinelt's goal was a matter of life and death to the club at the time, Knight's was not.

Well it seemed important at the time.

You said "I think legend can be defined as a single memorable moment".

Utter nonsense.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Wozza said:
Well it seemed important at the time.

You said "I think legend can be defined as a single memorable moment".

Utter nonsense.

But if we'd lost the play-off final the consequences were not as bad as at Hereford. Perhaps I phrased it wrong but I still stand by the fact that the goal Reinelt scored will be long remembered and associated with the club and therefore enter legendary status, irrespective of the fact that Reinelt did little else in his career.

To that end a player producing a single moment that will shape the destiny of any club will be long remembered will achieve the same status.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Micheal Robinson scored the goal that sent us to Wembley and gave us the biggest exposure in World Football that we have ever had - The FA Cup Final in 1983 watched in over 170 countries.

I think the Reinault goal is fondly remembered as it was a goal that finally kept us in the league....I suppose Storer's goal at the Goldstone also game us the points so giving us a chance at Hereford, only therefore needing a draw. What people forget is Hereford went into freefall that season and we pulled it round from an impossible position.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Theatre of Trees said:
But if we'd lost the play-off final the consequences were not as bad as at Hereford. Perhaps I phrased it wrong but I still stand by the fact that the goal Reinelt scored will be long remembered and associated with the club and therefore enter legendary status, irrespective of the fact that Reinelt did little else in his career.

To that end a player producing a single moment that will shape the destiny of any club will be long remembered will achieve the same status.

The goal will remembered, he won't... except by a few idiots who talk about him in the same breath as Peter Ward and Dick Knight.

The goal was legendary. He was a shit forward in a shit team.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Gary Nelson, Peter Ward, Steve Foster, Alan Mullery, Bobby Zamora for sure.

Jimmy Case, probably, cos he not only played his guts out, but then had a pop at managing us through the Gory Years.

And Gary Hart - for his years of toil and devotion to this club.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think you've all come up with some good names and those are indeed players that, it could be argued deserve the term "legend".

I would possibly add Roy Jennings, Steve Burtenshaw and Jack Bertolini.

Wayne Henderson (see other thread) is not and should not be on that list.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
albion.jpg

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Gary Hart
Steve Foster
Kerry Mayo
Ian Chapman
Garry Nelson
Gary Stevens
Peter Ward
Chris Catlin
Mickey Adams
Booby Zamora
The Argus man at the Goldstone

:clap2: :bowdown: :clap2:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
what about virgo? already people say that he single handedly dragged us into the play-off final & then kept us up the following season. thats the sort of thing that makes a legend, part fact part myth.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the word legend to describe a player is a much over used word... Legends are people that have devoted their careers to Brighton and for whom people outside of Brighton associate the two.

Peter Ward
Steve Foster and um who else immediately springs to mind.

If you are going for service you have Eric Gill, Frankie Howard, Glen Wilson, Dave Turner, Peter O Sullivan, Ian Chapman, Kerry Mayo. Possibly Chippy and Charlie Oatway but definitely not Cullip and most of MAs team who were only together for a few seasons

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The Northstander said:
Gary Hart
Steve Foster
Kerry Mayo
Ian Chapman
Garry Nelson
Gary Stevens
Peter Ward
Chris Catlin
Mickey Adams
Booby Zamora
The Argus man at the Goldstone

:clap2: :bowdown: :clap2:

Add on Adam Virgo please Mods

:clap:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Ward, Foster, Zamora, Moseley, O'Sullivan, Mellor, Cattlin, Hart. That is about it for me, controversial by including Hart, maybe, but for me he epitomises everything that I want to see in an Albion player, never gives up and would willingly die for the cause.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here