Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What in your opinion constitues an Albion Legend?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dies Irae said:
The problem is with all of this and that is the nature of it, and that is you could end up having a list as long as your arm.

Alright then....say you had a hall of fame type thing and you could nominate 1 player to go in it, 1 manager and 1 owner, who would they be?

I would pick

Peter Ward
Alan Mullery
Mike Bamber

Because that was the time, the late 70's early 80's I most enjoyed watching the Albion consistantly week in week out and I dont think anything has come close to that time.

Peter Ward
Chris Cattlin
Mike Bamber

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
_wilka_ said:
Bobby Zamora
Micky Adams
Dick Knight

Yes I would have to say the same.

I started watching the Albion when cuddly Dudley was in charge . Just before the axis of evil. So given that DK all the way.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'd nominate Robbie Reinelt as a possible legend of the club.

He's the focal point of one of the clubs most defining and dramatic moments in it's history.

His goal is legendary, does that not make him a legend?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Tyrone Biggums said:

He's the focal point of one of the clubs most defining and dramatic moments in it's history.

No. Absolutely not.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
possibly. However IMHO it was one moment he produced...that was it really.

wardy produced week in week out, has come from his home in America to support the club on Marches etc etc. I personally think when you think of Brighton and Hove Albion, you think of Peter Ward

But as I said, its only an opinion, this is very subjective

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Would you also vote for Craig Maskell who hit the post before Reinault followed up!!!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Tyrone Biggums said:

Yep, I'd agree with that. I think legend can be defined as a single memorable moment, commitment to the cause above and beyond the call of duty, loyal service over a period of years or just having that something special.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wozza said:
So Leon Knight is in for his goal at the Millennium?

:jester: :jester: :jester:

I can think of three takers for that :rolleyes:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Dies Irae said:
possibly. However IMHO it was one moment he produced...that was it really.

wardy produced week in week out, has come from his home in America to support the club on Marches etc etc. I personally think when you think of Brighton and Hove Albion, you think of Peter Ward

But as I said, its only an opinion, this is very subjective

He certainly put us in the public eye and he's still sung about these day's so can't argue with Peter Ward being a true Albion legend.

"he shot
he scored
it must be
Peter Ward"

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Would you also vote for Craig Maskell who hit the post before Reinault followed up!!!

Only people who saw the game will remember Maskell hitting the post.

In 20 years time Reinelts goals will still be part of the clubs folklore for the next generations to come.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think there are several factors that can make someone a legend:

Length of service and their attitude to the club(e.g they stayed a long time because they wanted to, not because nobody else wanted them)
General attitude to Brighton and Hove Albion-do they have a genuine affection fro the club.
Service to the club. Did they achieve great things for the club or play an important part in the achieving of great things.

I've been watching the Albion since 1988. In that time I think there have been several people worthy of the name legend.

1)Steve Foster(two spells, the cup final, the headband, England caps, sterling performances)
2)Garry Nelson(32goals in one season. Some absolute beauties)
3)Robbie Reinelt(not a great player but THAT goal is the single most important goal scored in an Albion shirt)
4)Bobby Zamora. A gazillion goals in a little over 3 years. took us from midtable div 3 to the championship. Would have kept us there too if he wasn't injured)
5)Micky Adams(maybe not the best manager in our history but the one that pulled us out of the mire and gave us back a proper football team.
6) Dick Knight. Doesn't really need any explaining does it?

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Tyrone Biggums said:
Only people who saw the game will remember Maskell hitting the post.

In 20 years time Reinelts goals will still be part of the clubs folklore for the next generations to come.

Goals?!? :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Certainly Kerry Mayo.

Can't believe the number of people mentioning Gary Hart here - in my opinion, he is a long way off being considered a legend. One of the most overrated players at the club, he should have been released when we had the chance.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brian Wade? 4 goals against Newcastle at possibly the most incredible game I saw at the Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here