Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What famous world 'landmark' actually took your breath away?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Best natural landmark - Sedona in Arizona. Beautiful. Not as dramatic the the GC, but more interesting. The most amazing rock formations I've ever seen.

Best man made landmark - the Stratosphere Tower In Las Vegas . Anyone that has the balls to perch an outdoor roller coaster on the top of a 102 storey tall skyscaper must win the cigar.

Best dead landmark - Lenins tomb in Red Square, Moscow. Seeing the old guy's corpse in his best Sunday suit looking kinda waxy, was memorable ( even though some people might argue he's got a lot to answer for).

Last edited:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,excellent topic.

London sewers
Isle of Skye
Tahiti
Easter Island Statues
Macchu Pichu
The Quantock Hills
South Island New Zealand
Ushuia,Argentina( ooo,and Bariloche)
The Ring of Bells,Norton Fitzwarren
Sunset on Manila Bay

Just ten off the top of my head!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dick Knights Mum said:
I don't think I am so well travelled as some of NSC - but I look forward to that feeling. The top of the Eiffel Tower was impressive - as was the Aguile du Midi next to Mont Blanc. As was the World Trade Centre pointed out by bhaexpress. But I don't think they took my breath away. I will have a think.

I agree, Aguile Du Midi is one of the most spectacular sights you could see. Getting to it in the cable car is terryfiing!!!

The Drakensberg Mountains in the Natal, where the Zulu wars happened are beautiful.

Yoda

English & European
This was pretty amazing last year:
31139.jpg

31142.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
the San Siro was pretty impressive !

Cheddar Gorge is pretty impressive

Norwegian Fjords, and from there cycling up a 2000m mountain !

riding through the Alps on my scooter was pretty cool

the quiet end of Byron Bay and Fishermans Cove south of Chennai . . .paradise beaches both

and I love the South Downs

:clap:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
dunno if a landmark, but the northern lights north sweden!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Rainforest waterfalls in Guia (Hawaaii)
Parthenon in Athens
Ian Poulters shot out of the rough to within 6 foot of the flag yesterday (15th hole??)
Sunset over Ailsa Craig at Turnberry Hotel
The birth of each of my 2 daughters
Dolphins leaping around the boat off St Lucia
Ground Zero NYC
Gary Stevens goal at Wembley 1983 :clap2:

:wave:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
flying over the norhtern territories made me chuckle . . .2 hours over reddish sand, sod all there, then you see a track and a hut . . . what sort of nutter lives there ! :eek: amazing views though

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Niagra Falls
Views from CN Tower Toronto and World Trade Center.
Mount Teide Tenerife

Honorable mentions for the Akropolis Athens, various sites in Jerusalem and the Eiffel tower

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
A few closer to home...

Driving through Glen Coe from the east.
The view down Loch Melfort from the Loch Melfort Hotel
Poole Harbour from the downs behind Studland

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
Meeting the real Santa at Lapland with my kids a couple of years ago was amazing. The scenery was just awe-inspiring due to the snow and the low light all day. It was f***ing cold though...-27'c on the day we all passed our reindeer driving test!!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not that well travelled outside of Europe, so thus far it would be La Sagrida de Familia (sp? ) in Barcelona, along with the Nou Camp and Gaudi Park.

Cadman

Jul 7, 2003
Terracotta warriors in Xian.

We were the last ones out at 5pm and looked back at these ranks of warriors in the gloom.

Spooky

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Cappadoccia
The choreographed Ultras at the Maracana in Belgrade
Glencoe where there is no sound and no wildlife
Majdanek (for all the wrong reasons)
Krak des Chevaliers
A small boy, working as a shoe cleaner on a wet winters's night, crying in the gutter because he lost all his money and knew that he faced a beating when he got home (again, for allt he wrong reasons)

and last but not least....

Peter Ward.. the reason why my blood changed to blue and white.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
St. Peter's Cathedral at the Vatican.

Did the tour and was blown away by the size, detail and the height of the building. Climbed up about 10 billion steps to get up on to the roof top and was amazed by the views of Rome - only to find that I was only half way up the building and there were more steps to climb to the very top of the dome! Went up there and didn't want to leave. Not only because I wanted to take in the breathtaking views, but just couldn't be arsed to walk all the way back down again.

Honourable second place mention to the Palace of Versailles.

For something more local, Arundel Castle has always impressed me, more than the Royal Pavillion which people seem to make a big deal about.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here