Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What famous world 'landmark' actually took your breath away?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Turning the corner in the botanical gardens Sydney & getting the first view of the Opera House.

The view from the Empire State Building.

The view from Auckland Skytower.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
When's somebody going to say 'the birth of my child' ? I don't know from personal experience but everybody I know who does says it's truly amazing.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Withdean on a wet Wednesday?

An abandoned tyre and discarded cans and litter on a Village Way field. Mindblowing natural beauty.

Otherwise, I'm thinking along the same lines as Tom - the gigantic hotels in Las Vegas.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Grand Canyon by helicopter. As an engineer I was impressed with the Hoover Dam but surprised how small it looks from the air.
I'd have to add Vegas as well as the whole concept of a city in the absolute middle of nowhere is bizarre, flying in at night is weird, pitch black then wham, VEGAS. I want to go again now..........

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
bhaexpress said:
When's somebody going to say 'the birth of my child' ? I don't know from personal experience but everybody I know who does says it's truly amazing.

It IS truly amazing. But not all for the right reasons.

Being present at the birth of your second-born is just hunky dory cos they tend to just kind of DIVE out like they were an Olympic 100 metres freestyle swimming final or something. Second-borns should all be christened Klinsmann IMHO...

Whereas being present at the birth of your first-born is another thing altogether. Takes it to another level. Especially if you bunked off the ante-natal classes. Basically it's like being a by-stander at the scene of a particularly nasty road accident (IMHO, like). And just when the baby's there and turning baby-coloured aqnd you think you got a result, then :eek: :eek: :eek: what the f*** is that? A LIVER? :eek: A SPLEEN? :eek: A matching set of KIDNEYS? :eek: :eek:

Just wish they'd prepared us a bit more for The Afterbirth y'know :dunce:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tom Hark said:
It IS truly amazing. But not all for the right reasons.

Being present at the birth of your second-born is just hunky dory cos they tend to just kind of DIVE out like they were an Olympic 100 metres freestyle swimming final or something. Second-borns should all be christened Klinsmann IMHO...

Whereas being present at the birth of your first-born is another thing altogether. Takes it to another level. Especially if you bunked off the ante-natal classes. Basically it's like being a by-stander at the scene of a particularly nasty road accident (IMHO, like). And just when the baby's there and turning baby-coloured aqnd you think you got a result, then :eek: :eek: :eek: what the f*** is that? A LIVER? :eek: A SPLEEN? :eek: A matching set of KIDNEYS? :eek: :eek:

Just wish they'd prepared us a bit more for The Afterbirth y'know :dunce:

Yes I thought some would consider that experience a 'landmark'.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
smudge said:
Turning the corner in the botanical gardens Sydney & getting the first view of the Opera House.

That view is awesome. Others for me must be the Pyramids, Niagra falls, The Eiger ( think that is how you spell it ), The Kremlin and Stonehenge are all amazing in their own ways but the only place that has really taken my breath away ( and yes it was probably for the wrog reasons ) was Aushwitz. The place just left me numb. The feeling you get when walking around is very uncomfortable and the only other time I felt anything like that was in a pyramid where you could sense that death was all around you.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Lapdancing club last Saturday while out on a stagnight!!!:lolol: :eek: :eek:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
AJ's Love Monkey said:
You dirty goat bakesy how much not to tell your missus? :censored:
I told her , no problem( she knows the dancers would have been well out of my league!!)???

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Brilliant thread but a hell of a difficult one to answer, have been to quite a few different places that have been amazing at the time, plus a number of sunrises and sunsets.

I am going to go for the sunrise from Lows Peak on Mt Kinabalu in Sabah (Malaysia), the realisation that I had just reached the summit of the highest mountain in South East Asia, also getting to the peak no more than 2 minutes before the sun started to creep over the horizon. At 4085 metres it wasn't the highest I had ever been but it was the most physically demanding challenge I had ever faced, watching the sunrise was one of those moments you realise what hard slog can deliver, I still have a scar on my leg from the ascent as a permanent momento of the occcasion. (Bizarre moment of the day was meeting a fellow Albion fan in the rest hut just before scaling the peak).

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005

D

Deleted User X18H

Jello said:
Grand Canyon by helicopter. As an engineer I was impressed with the Hoover Dam but surprised how small it looks from the air.
I'd have to add Vegas as well as the whole concept of a city in the absolute middle of nowhere is bizarre, flying in at night is weird, pitch black then wham, VEGAS. I want to go again now..........
Did you fly helitours usa to the Canyon??

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Going to ground zero in New York, seeing how tall the Hilton was and then trying to imagine how tall the twin towers used to have been.

Me ---> :ohmy:

Jello said:

I drove in at night straight after watching an Elvis Costello concert in Los Angeles. Nearly crashed the car three times through lack of sleep but it was worth it to watch this bizarre science fiction vision of a city rise out of the desert before your eyes - wowsa :drink: :drink:

Stumpy Tim

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but my favourite landmark is Table Mountain, Cape Town. Unbelievable when you see it.

Sydney Harbour is obviously amazing. I prefer the city of San Francisco to the bridge, which is overrated IMO. The two towers in Kuala Lumpar are impressive, and the Vegas strip has to be seen to be believed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here