Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What famous world 'landmark' actually took your breath away?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Oh yes...the Nou Camp in Barca. Climbing the stairs and entering the arena was truly amazing.

I agree about Vegas, you can't help but rubberneck.

The Rock of Gibraltar is another one, it just suddenly looms out of the mist.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Downloaded Penguin said:
Oh yes...the Nou Camp in Barca. Climbing the stairs and entering the arena was truly amazing.

I agree about Vegas, you can't help but rubberneck.

The Rock of Gibraltar is another one, it just suddenly looms out of the mist.

Never been to Vegas but totally agree with the other two. Went to Gibralter with my Dad who served in the war there and he gave me a totally different insight to the place.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Eiffel tower literally took my breath away because I hate heights.
I really tried because I wanted to view Paris from the top but I panicked and had to go back down again.

I enjoyed the view from the Sacre Coeur in Montmartre instead.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sydney Harbour Bridge is pretty impressive from the harbour.
Also The Closseum, couldn't believe how big it was.

Most impressive place I've seen though is Rotorua in New Zealand, the whole place is like being on a different planet; steam eruptring from the ground everywhere, even on the side of the road. And it stinks of sulphar. Bizzare.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
smudge said:
Turning the corner in the botanical gardens Sydney & getting the first view of the Opera House.

The view from the Empire State Building.

The view from Auckland Skytower.

Yeah view from the Sky Tower is pretty cool (better if you do the wire base jump off it), but not as good as the view OF the Sky Tower from my bedroom window at night when it is lit up. I could literally hit it by throwing a stone if I wanted. In fact, I'm gonna do that tonight.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Honourable mentions would have to go to Grand Canyon and Table Mountain. However the most memorable thing for me has to be visiting Victoria Falls in Zambia. Absolutely awesome experience. The sight, the sound, and getting soaking wet from the spray that comes from all directions. Doing a 111m bungi from the bridge in the next gorge was fairly breath taking too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Flight of angels (helicopter) over the Victoria Falls with the "smoke that thunders" mist from the mighty Zambezi flowing over the falls beneath you. Totally stunning from the land and the air, nothing else has come close for me.

500 million litres of water flows over a minute when in full flood Feb to April and the mist can be seen for up to 20kms away apparently:eek:

edit 80's seagull beat me to it .....just :)vic falls

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Wembley Stadium. I was in the Olympic Gallery for the play-off final in '91 and I remember the sound that hit me as I entered the arena being awesome.

The arch of the new ground looks absolutely amazing close up too.

And don't forget the Millenium Stadium, a beautiful stadium in a fantastic location.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Grand Canyon- spent £3000 travelling around the states and would have spent ten times that amount to see it. couldnt beleive how big, deep, wide and high it is! The rim is actually 10,000 feet above sea level and the scenery leading up to it on the drive from Vegas just took my breath away.

The CN tower Toronto. so f***ing high it's unbelievable.......... :ohmy:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
fourthteamtillidie said:
Grand Canyon- spent £3000 travelling around the states and would have spent ten times that amount to see it. couldnt beleive how big, deep, wide and high it is! The rim is actually 10,000 feet above sea level and the scenery leading up to it on the drive from Vegas just took my breath away.

As I said to my flat mate as we walked up to the edge, "well, that IS a big hole!"

:ohmy:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
1) flying over the indian ocean (?) and descending down into zanzibar island. spectacular blue water

2) the roman colliseum at pirge in turkey. partially flooded and closed to the public, we climbed up a hill and in from the back. gobsmacking.

3) the cave paintings at peche-merle in france.

what a terrific thread!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I was impressed with the Pantheon in Rome. It seems such a modern building, but is nearly 2 thousand years old.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
the petronas towers in kuala lumper and the cn tower there were pretty cool.

also maya bay in thailand took my breath away it was the most beautiful place i have ever been.

The Triffid Nebula is very breathtaking, many many light years across, and until you arrive it looks like a cloud of dust in space.

Truthfully though, the Grand Canyon was great the first time, but strangely not so impressive the second.
The Atomium in Brussels, when I was a kid.
Flying into Rio De Janeiro and seeing a church on a distant hill in the haze, I was suddenly struck by the spiritual depth and geographical beauty of the place.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Commander said:
Yeah view from the Sky Tower is pretty cool (better if you do the wire base jump off it), but not as good as the view OF the Sky Tower from my bedroom window at night when it is lit up. I could literally hit it by throwing a stone if I wanted. In fact, I'm gonna do that tonight.

You lucky bastard! Have you been to Piha on the coast just north of Auckland. Climb Lion Rock, fantastic view along the coast. NZ is quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here