Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What famous world 'landmark' actually took your breath away?

Stumpy Tim

Gully said:
Agree with you there bhaexpress, when you look down on the Skydome and see how small it looks, through that plate glass floor, and think how huge the actual stadium is....magnificent.

The thing that struck me about the glass panel in the CN Tower was the kids jumping up & down on it trying to smash it. I was pleading for it to go so I could watch the little shits fall to their inevitable date with the pavement :lolol:

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
As mentioned already, the World Trade Site and Niagara Falls (particularly from the boat tour in the middle of it all).

Also, the Sears Tower in Chicago. Was amazing how the lift reached the top (about 110 floors) in something stupid like 40 seconds. Stunning views from the top across the surrouding area.

Yes, the Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Empire State, WTC, Climbing Syndey Harbour Bridge and Withdean...

What about Uluru? Especially i you have driven there, when THAT big rock appears on the horizon you feel it!

Then there's The Great Barrier Reef, that took my breath away, but then i was snorkelling at the time!

And walking into a full, or nearly full MCG for cricket, football or AFL never fails to get me. Can't wait for it to be finished for the Commonwealth Games next year.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Not sure anywhere really has literally taken my breath away - I obviously need to visit a few more places but these were pretty special:

1) Karnack Temple, Luxor, Egypt
2) The Alhambra, magnificant 14th century Moorish castle and beautiful gardens in Granada, Spain.
3) Having drinks on the Greek island of Santorini in a place called Ia after my A levels ( that dates me) looking out on a hot, blue skied day with the clear blue water sparkling in the sunlight benneath us. ( Ok, not a world famous landmark but unforgettable)

India is on my " must" visit lists so I'm hoping the Taj Mahal will live up to expectations.

pasty said:
Not that well travelled outside of Europe, so thus far it would be La Sagrida de Familia (sp? ) in Barcelona, along with the Nou Camp and Gaudi Park.

Ooooh yes, that's a good one - the real Gothic horror building, it appears to have been grown rather than built.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
The Northstander said:
Cissbury ring, Lancing!
:lolol:
Sadly enough when I take my mums dog for a walk we always go up the cornfield by the allotments and the view towards the sea is pretty inspiring.
Possibly due to the fact I have never left this country and as such have no comparisson.
Tintagel in Cornwall got my juices flowing, beautiful.

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
barcelona0262en.jpg

Sagrada Da Familia, Barcelona, got a few mentions. (Be good when it's finished!)

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Either Algonquin Park or Vermont in the autumn.

BTW, can we assume that all the people who have spelled Niagara as 'Niagra' are taking a certain little blue pill?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here