Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What famous world 'landmark' actually took your breath away?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Eiffel Tower DIDN'T impress me - overhyped, etc, etc.

View down from the cable car on the way up the Schilthorn however was astounding.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Grand Canyon - definitely breathtaking. You can't quite explain the vastness of the hole
Lake Louise & Canadian glaciers
Uluru
Some of the Mayan ruins in Mexico (Chichen Itxa in particular)
Las Vegas
Some of the Queensland beaches
Rock of Gib is indeed quite impressive - and an interesting experience landing there too.

Really want to see Japan and India, but will probably have to wait for the kids to grow up now. :nono:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
The ancient city of Ephesus in Turkey was quite special. Really made me feel like a Roman.

And also the Acropolis in Rhodes (preferred it to the more famous Athens one) and the Masada in Israel for its sheer size and history.

Also for sheer incredibility I thought the Dead Sea was really something else as although not much to look at the whole being able to float entirely unaided thing was fantastic fun.

And of course the Pyramids and Sphinx of Giza, everyone knows what they are but until you see them in person you cannot appreciate what an astonishing achievement it must have been to have created such monolithic structures that have stood the test of time to the present day and I think they did make my jaw drop.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
What Scotland is a district of Ayrshire?

No, it's a suburb of England.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The Grand Canyon was awesome first time I saw it - however, I must admit after an hour or so it all looked the same in every direction - well worth it tho.

The Pyramids were pretty cool from what I remember - a long time ago.

and of course, the Millenium Stadium last May - looked good from a distance but walking into that atmosphere was 'triffic.

Walking into an totally full San Siro stadium in Milan for anight game.......................................................

Taj at sun-rise was impressive (even more so for 25 rupees - about 8p at the time)

Walking into the Melbourne Cricket Ground/Sydney Cricket Ground - places of myth, legends and otherworldly history for me.

Getting to base camp at Everest is the next one for me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Spa Francorchamp . . . .Eu Rouge, immense to look at, even more so to drive it flat out :eek:

Dijon F1 Circuit is pretty bloody good too ( the scene of a legendary ding don between Rene Arnoux and Gilles Villeneuve in the F1 GP in 1979)

Spa in particular is in glorious country sid, we saw eagles soaring above the forrests, and Hoegaarden flowing in the streams
:rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2003
barcelona cathedral, especially the view from the top, and also the nou camp is pretty cool

the auckland sky tower, as mentioned before

the blinking eye thingy in newcastle, mainly cos i'm originally from there so i have a weird fetish, add the rusty old angle to that aswell

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
zefarelly said:
Spa Francorchamp . . . .Eu Rouge, immense to look at, even more so to drive it flat out :eek:

Dijon F1 Circuit is pretty bloody good too ( the scene of a legendary ding don between Rene Arnoux and Gilles Villeneuve in the F1 GP in 1979)

Spa in particular is in glorious country sid, we saw eagles soaring above the forrests, and Hoegaarden flowing in the streams
:rolleyes:

I wouldn't have thought of Spa as a landmark, but it is an amazing sight.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yoda said:
This was pretty amazing last year:
31139.jpg

31142.jpg

I'll be back out there in September to see our friends.

Try going up Mt. Lykabettus in the funicular railway and you can look down onto the Acropolis and Parthenon.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Yorkie said:
The Eiffel tower literally took my breath away because I hate heights.
I really tried because I wanted to view Paris from the top but I panicked and had to go back down again.

I wouldnt go up it either but it did look fantastic from the ground at night time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Eiffel Tower ? Smiffel Tower, try the CN Tower in Toronto, now that is fornicating high !

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Agree with you there bhaexpress, when you look down on the Skydome and see how small it looks, through that plate glass floor, and think how huge the actual stadium is....magnificent.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gully said:
Agree with you there bhaexpress, when you look down on the Skydome and see how small it looks, through that plate glass floor, and think how huge the actual stadium is....magnificent.

I'm getting vertigo just reading about it :rolleyes:

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Having just arrived in Sydney for the first time on a Saturday evening in October 1998, I grabbed a cab from the airport to an apartment waiting for me in McMahons Point on the North Shore. Next to the apartment block was a stepped pathway. I took a stroll down these steps to the bottom.

The sight that greeted me was of the Sydney Opera House, sitting underneath the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the evening twilight. That is one sight I will never forget.

Standing on the Glass Floor in the CN Tower, Toronto took my breath away, especially as you can see the SkyDome some 1,122 ft below. The views are spectacular (on a clear day)

The best technological wonder that I've witnessed, is the Japanese Shinkansen (Bullet Train) going full speed through Odawara station at night. First of all you see the headlights, then start to hear the train coming, and then when it goes through the station, the noise and sight is just astounding, and then all you see are the red lights of the back of the train disappearing in to the distance. Truly awesome.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here