Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do we think about Southampton?

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
ONE of your defenders is paid the same as our ENTIRE back four. And Gus knows.

We are not paupers by any means. Buying quality players is a new feeling for us. But we don't (or won't) compete when it comes to wages.

*sigh* there is no way Gus could know that. The actual quote, though I can't find it now, was that one of our defenders was paid more than your back four at one point. Meaning that after El Abd went off injured and the youngster came on in his place.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'd say given the amount of threads there have been on here about them this season allot of you lot are getting pretty obsessed by them which makes us look a little bit tin pot in my eyes.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I have never stopped hating them since 'that' draw in 1978, and I never will.

This yes,.. and the fact that we did actually get regular kickings outside the old away pen at the Dell on a number of occasions,... the old bill used to just bugger off and leave us to it,..... it was murder.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I really couldnt give a toss about them.They are bound to think they are too big for this division with their ground,money and recent history.I think its great it is us and them now top 2,also really enjoyed my 2 trips too St Marys.
Now as for them W@@@@@s next week................

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
The Albion fan on our forum is making an even bigger tw*t of himself now, claiming that being unable to sell out a 32k stadium in the third tier means we have a sh*t fanbase.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good to see a few more people realising there is absolutely nothing between us and Southampton, and this question is only being brought up because we're probably the two best teams in the same division for one season. Let's put it simply for the morons:

a) Portsmouth hate Southampton and Southampton hate Portsmouth.
b) We hate Palace and Palace hate us.

Neither of the teams involved in a) have got anything even vaguely to do with either of the teams in b). Get over it.

This. Although it is annoying that Stains have the "Leeds Utd" arrogance about being too big for this league etc etc

Good to see a few more people realising there is absolutely nothing between us and Southampton, and this question is only being brought up because we're probably the two best teams in the same division for one season. Let's put it simply for the morons:

Neither of the teams involved in a) have got anything even vaguely to do with either of the teams in b). Get over it.

Not so, actually. Porstmouth in a) dislike us as well, and when we share a division you will find out you won't like them either.
In the 70's we had several encounters with pompey, and they were were quite a close 2nd to palace in fan rivalry.

SOME young palace scummers don't know or care much about us either, because they haven't seen many encounters or experienced enough of the rivalry.
Hence, some of them think Millwall and Charlton are the teams they should hate.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
* For the benefit of 7:18 - we needed to beat Blackpool to go up, Spurs needed a point, Southampton were up already but needed a point to win the title. We beat Blackpool in front of 34,000 at the Goldstone, Southampton drew 0-0 with Spurs, denying us promotion on goal difference. Worst of all the two managers, McMenemy and Burkinshaw, held their hands aloft and waved at the fans BEFORE the match had even kicked off. There was barely a shot from either side in the entire 90 minutes. Obscene.
Get your facts right Kevo. Southampton needed to WIN to clinch the title. A draw was no good - leaving the door open for Bolton to win the title instead. They battered Spurs but could not score - leave the conspiracy theories to the JFK brigade and stop misleading the young punters!

Last edited:

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Southampton up to second now but I notice from the league table that of their 21 games, 13 have been at home and just 8 away! So they have just 10 home games left - 15 away. Suggests they will struggle to stay in the automatic promotion slots.

not only that but yesterday was their 6th home match on the spin.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

From your perspective and relatively short time supporting this club and Manchester United.

Many younger Palace fans (like yourself) have little appreciation or care for the rivalry with us because they are simply too young. Doesn't take away from the fact that older fans from both sides consider us as rivals.

It's also a personal thing that is incongruous to your sweeping statements.

My attitude towards Palace is somewhat blunted because I have South London friends who support them. I still look forward to us playing though.

My brother can't stand Portsmouth, quite rightly because of an infamous incident down there with their PA system that you are far too young to know anything about.

I've always had a "problem" with Southampton, because for some reason I always have - even as a small child in 70s when we played them at the Goldstone.

We almost bought Keegan before they stepped in, their draw with Spurs, their fans climbing up the floodlights etc..

All well before your birth, so please don't call people "morons" simply because they've been supporting this club longer than you have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here