Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do we think about Southampton?

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
I don't think anyone is saying Brighton are better than Southampton.
The way I see it, Southampton for a long time have been more about individual players than the team. What we have is a fantastic manager and a solid team with which we can build one. Southampton have the team, but every time I've seen them play in League 1, they've not been a team. I mean some players are, but then there's a handful of players who want to be the hero. That's just how it looks to me.

The biggest threats as I see them are Southampton and Huddersfield though. All it takes is a few wins in a row for any team around there and we've got to pull our finger out. Those are the two that I could see doing it. Huddersfield have hit a bad patch but it won't last forever. Brighton and Bournemouth 1 and 2 with Hartlepool up through the playoffs would be hilarious though.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hello there, Saints fan here, another one i know, im sure you lads will love this lil influx of 'scummers' ;) Im only 10 mins from Brighton, plenty of Brighton fan mates so im pretty clued up on you lot.. but i never realised how many of you lot had a genuine dislike for us!

When we were in the Prem i remember lookin out for your results and hoping you did well.. once we were in the same league the petty side of me wanted you to do badly, sad i know. But i never really disliked Brighton at all! Only since being in league 1 did my petty side come into play but i think you lot have done brilliantly this season.. i thought ud be top 6 at the start of the season but youve really exceeded my expectation i have to say. Fair play. I was at the game last season at the Withdean and was impressed then, im sure youre even better now.

Having read this forum for a bit its been quite interesting seeing the various reasons why you dislike us. Some go way back and that doesnt bother me as im only 22 and wouldnt even understand.. but the main gist seems to be our 'arrogance'? To me, i think a lot of you are getting the wrong end of the stick. We DO NOT think were too good for this league, well i dont. I think that we feel that with the side we have that we shud be doing better. I think some of you can admit that player for player we are better than almost all teams in this league, and its frustration of us not already used that advantage to more effect. I know we have money but we havnt spent as much as some think, were not spending stupidly at all, we did that before and that got us nowhere.

Were not all that bad, but when it comes to it you lot keep throwing around how your better than us with more potential, it seems a bit silly. you are 6 points above us, congrats.. but the arrogance thing bugs us. I dont even know where thats coming from. But i think the best of you will admit we are your biggest threat. I dont feel we've hit our peak yet.

I applaud your great start to the season, i raelly do, but theres half to go and we are going to be a threat to your dream of the title. We have the right to go after it wether you see that as arrogance or not. At the end of the day, were not comparing ourselves to arsenal at the moment.

I don't think many people hand on heart really dislike you (apart from some who have history from that game in the 70's), you're just on the radar because of the current situation. For the last couple of seasons quite a few people on here have claimed to hate Leeds, and surprise surprise that's been forgotten about now. I blame the internet.

treacle mine man

Jan 2, 2011
Kevo
I was at the match in 1978 and we battered Spurs. If Saints had won they would have gone up as Champions. Instead because Spurs crowded their goalmouth with 11 players we did everything but score it ended nil nil and Bolton went up as Champions, Saints second and Spurs 3rd on goal difference from you. The irony was that we hit the post in the last minute courtesy of a header from a player born in Sussex.
I wouldn't want your misinformation to infect younger supporters who might not realise there is actually no historical animosity between Saints and Brighton.
You guys need to chill out, you are top and you have a great manager and a superb new ground to move to, everything is looking rosy and after what you have been through deservedly so. Saints fans arn't arrogant they have also been through a lot but have the added angst of seeing a lot of what should have been their future team performing for others in the Premiership. Yes we do have financial backing but we are not throwing it around as financial viability is the Chairmans watchword.
Good luck in the cup against the cheats and I hope you didn't send them any tickets without getting your share of the proceeds in cash first.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
In my experience some Saints fans ARE arrogant, especially since the move to the flatpack St Mary's. Not so long since the 90's though, when they frequently averaged less than 15,000 in the top flight. The club is like the city itself, entirely forgettable.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Hello there, Saints fan here, another one i know, im sure you lads will love this lil influx of 'scummers' ;) Im only 10 mins from Brighton, plenty of Brighton fan mates so im pretty clued up on you lot.. but i never realised how many of you lot had a genuine dislike for us!

When we were in the Prem i remember lookin out for your results and hoping you did well.. once we were in the same league the petty side of me wanted you to do badly, sad i know. But i never really disliked Brighton at all! Only since being in league 1 did my petty side come into play but i think you lot have done brilliantly this season.. i thought ud be top 6 at the start of the season but youve really exceeded my expectation i have to say. Fair play. I was at the game last season at the Withdean and was impressed then, im sure youre even better now.

Having read this forum for a bit its been quite interesting seeing the various reasons why you dislike us. Some go way back and that doesnt bother me as im only 22 and wouldnt even understand.. but the main gist seems to be our 'arrogance'? To me, i think a lot of you are getting the wrong end of the stick. We DO NOT think were too good for this league, well i dont. I think that we feel that with the side we have that we shud be doing better. I think some of you can admit that player for player we are better than almost all teams in this league, and its frustration of us not already used that advantage to more effect. I know we have money but we havnt spent as much as some think, were not spending stupidly at all, we did that before and that got us nowhere.

Were not all that bad, but when it comes to it you lot keep throwing around how your better than us with more potential, it seems a bit silly. you are 6 points above us, congrats.. but the arrogance thing bugs us. I dont even know where thats coming from. But i think the best of you will admit we are your biggest threat. I dont feel we've hit our peak yet.

I applaud your great start to the season, i raelly do, but theres half to go and we are going to be a threat to your dream of the title. We have the right to go after it wether you see that as arrogance or not. At the end of the day, were not comparing ourselves to arsenal at the moment.

This.

and I also think it's because we have a proper 2 way rival whereas they dont appear to. If Albion and us both go up, they'll probably turn their hatred towards the skates.

We both take an interest in the Albion coz of our location. Unfortunately Albion just arent on the radar to most Saints fans.

and why are we the Man City of L1? Havent we just signed Chaplow and BHA signed Noone for not dissimilalar fees.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Everyone's different aren't they? Personally I get far more pleasure from a Southampton defeat than I do a Palace one. Yes the Spurs game will always be a factor for someone of my age (53), but the main reason I love to watch them lose is South Today. All through the 1970s it was Saints this and Saints that; then as an afterthought they'd mention Portsmouth, then Bournemouth, then Aldershot .... and then us. Even when we got the first promotion under Mullery South Today started their report with "Well it's not as big an achievement as Southampton winning the cup ..."

All fair enough if it were just a Southampton TV station, but it was the fact they were supposed to be covering us as well that made it so nauseating. Even when we were both in the top division (and we were above them in the table) there was no concept of equal billing, Southampton were the region's top club: always were, always will be. Consequently I used to pray for Southampton defeats for the glorious sight of David Bobin's face crumpled with tears as he announced this national tragedy to the region. I haven't changed, the perfect Saturday for me is still one where we win and Southampton lose.

So yeah, call me a bitter and twisted old man with no sense of perspective but there you go. Like I said we're all different! Having said that I can't get too worked up by the current pronouncements coming out of St Marys. By the standards of this division they ARE a big team with big resources (much bigger than us) and I'd hardly expect them to say "We're pretty confident of finshing above mid-table." Given their recent results and the fact that it's now only 'little' Brighton above them they are perfectly entitled to believe that, given said resources, they can close the gap on us. I'd certainly be thinking the same if we were say six points behind Dagenham and Redbridge. It will make any failure on their part all the more sweeter for me!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
and why are we the Man City of L1? Havent we just signed Chaplow and BHA signed Noone for not dissimilalar fees.

ONE of your defenders is paid the same as our ENTIRE back four. And Gus knows.

We are not paupers by any means. Buying quality players is a new feeling for us. But we don't (or won't) compete when it comes to wages.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I can't stand them. Not only the 78 stitch up* - the other thing that did it for me at the time was the regional TV coverage which, with the studios being based in Southampton, was so incredibly biased it was disgusting (Bobin, for one, was a season ticket holder at the Dell). In the weekly football round ups, we'd get extensive coverage of Southampton but Brighton barely warranted a mention - even if we were above them in the table. Every week we'd just get wall-to-wall McMenemy. When Southampton got to the Cup Final, the local presenters wore Southampton scarves and rosettes the day before the match - they definitely didn't do that in 83. And when they signed Keegan, you could barely switch on the telly without them going on and on and on about it.

They also had a horrible, poxy ground. I went to the opening game of the 77/78 season and could see roughly a third of the pitch.

Would have to agree with most of that. I also went to that opening game in 77/78, thought their ground was the pits.
I can remember their fans jeering at us whilst they were 1 up, then Ruggerio came on & scored his wonder goal, he did nothing else all season but that goal alone made it 30k well spent.

Then when they recently made that pompous pratt Clive Woodward their Director of Football (what ever that means), I made a posting on a forum saying they will end up being the biggest club in the Conference league (or what ever it's called now), didn't expect the prediction to almost come true.

But I'd like to thank the Saint's fan on here, for putting the record straight about that end of season Spurs game.

Feb 14, 2010
I have no interest in Saints either way. Its not about size, I just find Saints a bit like Leicester, Norwich and Yeovil, just dull, and not for any real reason, they are just dull. Nothing for or against them, they are just Southampton and that is it. I have no idea if anyone else knows what I mean.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Palace 50% on the Scum.o'meter *
Pimpey 48% on the Scum.o'meter **
Stains 2% on the Scum.o'meter ***

* Always the scum
**O'rrible fans/club/cheating wankers
*** ARE bigger than us......expected to walk division, only rivals when in same league as us!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
All fair enough if it were just a Southampton TV station, but it was the fact they were supposed to be covering us as well that made it so nauseating. Even when we were both in the top division (and we were above them in the table) there was no concept of equal billing, Southampton were the region's top club: always were, always will be. Consequently I used to pray for Southampton defeats for the glorious sight of David Bobin's face crumpled with tears as he announced this national tragedy to the region. I haven't changed, the perfect Saturday for me is still one where we win and Southampton lose.

One of my favourite memories was on that wonderful day at St James Park, Newcastle when David Bobin was speaking to camera in front of the Brighton fans, who provided a sung vocal background of 'David Bobin - is a wanker, is a wanker'. The look of discomfort on his face was sweet revenge.

Oddly (I suppose, since they are a 'local' club) I have never thought of Southampton as rivals or worthy of any disdain. Contrary, because they share dislike for portsmouth (something we will likely be reminded about soon, if we both go up - which would be cool actually) I feel a sort of affinity with Saints. They haven't seemed like 'big-time charlies' when they've been above us, and I haven't noticed much of any disrespect for us while we've been sharing a division either.
Somehow, they are likeable - even more so than lowly Bournemouth too while I think of it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oddly (I suppose, since they are a 'local' club) I have never thought of Southampton as rivals or worthy of any disdain. Contrary, because they share dislike for portsmouth (something we will likely be reminded about soon, if we both go up - which would be cool actually) I feel a sort of affinity with Saints. They haven't seemed like 'big-time charlies' when they've been above us, and I haven't noticed much of any disrespect for us while we've been sharing a division either.
Somehow, they are likeable - even more so than lowly Bournemouth too while I think of it.
This.

They're provoking ire on here because we're title rivals. Wait until we're both in the same division as Portsmouth. I think some people need reminding what an absolute bunch of wankers Pompey are by comparison.

I have no interest in Saints either way. Its not about size, I just find Saints a bit like Leicester, Norwich and Yeovil, just dull, and not for any real reason, they are just dull. Nothing for or against them, they are just Southampton and that is it. I have no idea if anyone else knows what I mean.

I think I understand where you are coming from with it, but other clubs could just as easily see us as another harmless or "dull" club. Soon though, we *might* well become the most potent force seen in the South - which would be quite a detour from our own 'traditional' place in the history of the leagues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here