Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do we think about Southampton?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Southampton. Good club, fallen from grace but on their way back up. Not our traditional rivals, but a rival in this division. I hope we beat them, I hope we beat everyone. I prefer them to Portsmouth.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Having read that its all idiotic.

I'd like to win this division and finish above So'ton, because of the money they spent, and I am not a fan of Pardew or Adkins; but most of all I want us to win this league because we are playing some sensational innovative football.

They thought slow passing back to Ankergren is time wasting it is all part of the Gus way dont kick possession away.

They thought us comparing ourselves to Arsenal was arrogant, no its a style of football comparison, and whenever people obsess about homophoebic stuff it tends to say more about their personal needs....

But I wouldnt mind if So'ton and Charlton, in particular, go up so long as we finish top....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I started that thread yesterday on Saints web :lolol::lolol:

15,000 empty seats will be impressive in a ground that holds 22,000 - Saints fans are in for a massive shock next yr...

And then we have w*nkers like Redneb and Saint_considerably_richer that go on their forum and chat utter boll*cks.

Which never helps.

:lol: hahahahahahaahahhahaha couldn't stop laughing and that one. What a true true comment... From one of your own :)

PS - Got that £20 ready to post Ben? XX

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I hate Southampton almost as much as Portsmouth.

I hate Palace just a bit more than Southampton.

I have left that amibiguous for a reason...

sammy g

As previously mentioned Southampton are rivals for this season only. The fact they are on the South Coast gives it a bit more interest, but it is a tempory interest only. Palace are the ones with the inbreds from Pompey and their "best club and fans etc" mentality annoying me more then their harmless and a bit dull negihbours in the West of Hampshire.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
15,000 empty seats will be impressive in a ground that holds 22,000 - Saints fans are in for a massive shock next yr...

And then we have w*nkers like Redneb and Saint_considerably_richer that go on their forum and chat utter boll*cks.

Which never helps.

:lol: hahahahahahaahahhahaha couldn't stop laughing and that one. What a true true comment... From one of your own :)

PS - Got that £20 ready to post Ben? XX

You mean Saints fan (not plural in for a massive shock). I do actually believe you may hit 5 figures next season.

PS: It's ready all right - ready to be doubled. And for the record, the bet was for 14,000 average crowd, not 12,000 as your sig suggests

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Get your facts right Kevo. Southampton needed to WIN to clinch the title. A draw was no good - leaving the door open for Bolton to win the title instead. They battered Spurs but could not score - leave the conspiracy theories to the JFK brigade and stop misleading the young punters!

Southampton had very little chance of winning the title - Bolton had it pretty well sewn up by the time it came to the last match. Brighton were fourth, and could have gone up if we won and either Southampton or Spurs lost. Trouble was, Southampton were playing Spurs, with both teams knowing that a draw would get them promoted - but if they played it out as a proper match, one of them would lose out if Brighton won. So the match was played gently in the sun of the centre circle, with the ball occasionally being carefully passed to one side or the other for a throw in, and even more occasionally gently passed back to a goalkeeper (unchallenged, of course).
West Germany and East Germany did the same in the group stages of the world cup a little later - that's why FIFA changed the rules so that all final matches in the group competitions had to kick off simultaneously.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Just to echo what others have said that it is not as cut and dried as we only hate Palace.

I have a much more intense dislike for Pompey largely following the 93 cup game and thier fans that day although I also have other memories of going to Fratton and seeing Micky Quinn bang a few in the net at our end. I could go on. I can't stand them.

It also happens that I'm reminded of why I hate them on a regular basis. I spoke to a neighbour of mine at a New Years eve party. He was absolutely gutted as he had lined up a potential move for John Utaka to a foreigh club who would pick up his wages for the rest of his contract. Cotterill apparently said no to the move as he thinks he can do a job for him. This is the same John Utaka who is on around 70 large a week. In the Championship. Seems like the club still haven't learnt.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
When Southampton got to the Cup Final, the local presenters wore Southampton scarves and rosettes the day before the match -

But it did lead to a classic TV moment, which hasn't yet made it to the outtake shows (although I live in hope...) One of the presenters was giving a live feed from a pub in Southampton, dressed in full Saints regalia including ridiculous top-hat. There must have been a crowd of 500 behind him singing "Who's the w**ker in the hat?"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Southampton had very little chance of winning the title - Bolton had it pretty well sewn up by the time it came to the last match. Brighton were fourth, and could have gone up if we won and either Southampton or Spurs lost. Trouble was, Southampton were playing Spurs, with both teams knowing that a draw would get them promoted - but if they played it out as a proper match, one of them would lose out if Brighton won. So the match was played gently in the sun of the centre circle, with the ball occasionally being carefully passed to one side or the other for a throw in, and even more occasionally gently passed back to a goalkeeper (unchallenged, of course).
West Germany and East Germany did the same in the group stages of the world cup a little later - that's why FIFA changed the rules so that all final matches in the group competitions had to kick off simultaneously.

Austria.

Jan 4, 2011
Kent
I am amazed by the obsession you albion fans have with Southampton. I think deep down you know full well they will run away with this league (by 8-10 points). Yes i agree Brighton have had a good start to the season but based on you last 10 games and the next half of the season your opponents have sussed your negative play out, dont't get me wrong you have had a good start to the season but we are halfway and you are punching above your weight.
I do admire your forum however and the belief you all have that you a "big club" still makes many giggle. i think an average gate of 12k is good for Brighton bearing in mind you have lost a generation or 2 since playing at the leisure centre. promotion of course is key to get that gate but come on chaps be realistic. Saints will be champions with the runners up spot between us, Sheff Wed and yourselves.

One final thing, please think of other songs to sing!! Maybe start another thread, it will take your minds off the Saints for a while.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I am amazed by the obsession you albion fans have with Southampton. I think deep down you know full well they will run away with this league (by 8-10 points). Yes i agree Brighton have had a good start to the season but based on you last 10 games and the next half of the season your opponents have sussed your negative play out, dont't get me wrong you have had a good start to the season but we are halfway and you are punching above your weight.
I do admire your forum however and the belief you all have that you a "big club" still makes many giggle. i think an average gate of 12k is good for Brighton bearing in mind you have lost a generation or 2 since playing at the leisure centre. promotion of course is key to get that gate but come on chaps be realistic. Saints will be champions with the runners up spot between us, Sheff Wed and yourselves.

One final thing, please think of other songs to sing!! Maybe start another thread, it will take your minds off the Saints for a while.

Hmm, when you have the six points and the goal difference tell us about it oh mighty stains. Nice of you to grace us with your presence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Saints will be champions with the runners up spot between us, Sheff Wed and yourselves.

Hmm, when you have the six points and the goal difference tell us about it oh mighty stains. Nice of you to grace us with your presence.

Can you actually READ?

So, is the newby Charlton? Huddersfield? Bournemouth? Hartlepool? Colchester?.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here