Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do we think about Southampton?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think it's Oxlade-Chamberlain who's driving them at the moment, I mean he looks a good player but I don't think they're dependent on him.

I agree with this completely. Lallana or Fonte would be bigger losses to them.

If they get a stupid offer, they should take it - you never actually know how things will pan out for these wonderkids. If the figures touted (£6m! £10m! wtf?) are close to the truth they'd be mentalists to turn it down. Of course they should push for a decent sell-on, in case he does go far, and maybe try for a loan-back arrangement.

To just say "we won't consider it -we don't need to sell" would be dumb. Its not always about NEEDING to sell - sometimes it makes good business AND football sense. 'Oxo' won't get them promoted. That £6m, spent wisely in January, might.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Southampton are a side to bet on in the new year with some talented players starting to hit form, Rickie Lambert hit a beauty yesterday and if he starts firing they'll be unstoppable in the second half of the season. Yesterday's result will make a lot of people start to take notice. There's more chance of Adam Lallana leaving Saints in January than Oxlade-Chamberlain I reckon.

As a club I've never been keen on them since they were at the Dell and had one of the worst ever shirts with that V stripe in 1993/94. :lol:

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
im sorry, but i am very fond of soton. used to live by the dell as a student... enjoyed the last ever match there, we were high as kites after having won the div three champ.... i have numerous soton supporting mates with whom i have always had great convos and none of the big-up-themselves chat that some experience. i think adkins is a decent fella..a lot of time for him. good luck to saints, all is fair in love and footy!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Southampton up to second now but I notice from the league table that of their 21 games, 13 have been at home and just 8 away! So they have just 10 home games left - 15 away. Suggests they will struggle to stay in the automatic promotion slots.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Southampton up to second now but I notice from the league table that of their 21 games, 13 have been at home and just 8 away! So they have just 10 home games left - 15 away. Suggests they will struggle to stay in the automatic promotion slots.

Interesting, but I think Southampton are VERY strong candidates for automatic promotion. They ripped us apart for 45 mins at St Mary's, and have some very handy players (esp Llalana). They also play a very physical game, and can overwhelm teams who aren't really up for it. I'd put money on SCC going up. Hopefully along with us.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, they will be contenders no doubt about that, but I think they will struggle to make the six points up on us given the number of away games they have to play.

Last edited:

1066gull

Dont care if they beat us to the title because next season they will flop while we will be up there around the play offs like Bristol City and Blackpool in recent years

1066gull

Southampton reek of Nottingham Forest. They will seriously flop like them and Leicester.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Makes me laugh when a club gets called arogant just because the manager says he intends to do what he was brought in to do and that is go up.

Been over this again and again but it's comical the way clubs such as Brighton and Bournemouth suddenly decide they hate us coz were in the same division.

Personally I'ld be happy to finish second behind Brighton coz that would mean promotion, but there are some complete tools on here that I would happily chuckle at if we were to go up and not you.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Makes me laugh when a club gets called arogant just because the manager says he intends to do what he was brought in to do and that is go up.

Been over this again and again but it's comical the way clubs such as Brighton and Bournemouth suddenly decide they hate us coz were in the same division.

Personally I'ld be happy to finish second behind Brighton coz that would mean promotion, but there are some complete tools on here that I would happily chuckle at if we were to go up and not you.

Many of us on here have had a problem with Southampton since the late 70s...

I've had a little chuckle at your fall down the league, particularly the wonderful comments on your forums after relegation from the Premiership ( for example "next season after we go up...." )

The best one I heard from a work colleague was "Crouch won't go, we'll need him next season because everyone plays long ball in the Championship..."

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The new Leeds Utd to me, I hate the inbreds and would absolutely love to get the trophy in place of them which on current form we deserve.

The dream would be to see then finish in the play offs and get to the final only to lose at the last hurdle!!

Now that would be indeed "Marvellous Scenes!"

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
That's not why I hate Southampton. I hate them because I've lived here my whole life and I think I've met two proper Southampton fans who haven't been completely arrogant, them being my dad and my driving instructor when I was still learning to drive.

Like I just said, my dad is a Southampton fan (I get Brighton from my mums side if you're interested) and when I got into football and was walking around with my little Brighton shirt on, he was eager to have me be a Brighton fan so he took me to a bunch of games. To start with it was a bit of a laugh. I never really cared who won but there was a good atmosphere at The Dell and at first at the St Marys. They were always the underdogs and I quite liked them because of that. I went to the cup final and semi-final and actually got into games and started cheering them on.

Then the next season happened and there was an expectation. For one, it was harder to get tickets since everyone suddenly gave a shit. The atmosphere drained out of the stadium and only really came back for the last game of the season and Pompey games. Everyone there seemed to forget where they were a few seasons ago and expected them to push for Europe every season. Then they expected to go up from the Championship in their first season. Then League 1. That's where the arrogance comes into it. They thing they're better than the league they're in. Noone can be better than their league, if they were then they'd be in a different one.

Not to mention you can't have a conversation about football with anyone because it's the most homophobic place I've ever been... except maybe Portsmouth. Try and make a constructive point about their club and they go "yeah but you support Brighton so you're gay." That and their current favourite song is singing the theme tune from The Great Escape and then yelling f*** off. I swear they tell the away fans to f*** off more than they cheer on Southampton.

But whatever, I'm biased. I'm sure it's just because I grew up here and all those memories are just sort of juvenile things. I know not all Southampton fans are like that, but enough of the ones I've met are like that for me to dislike the club. If it's any consolation, I hate Portsmouth more.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
We've got one of your fans on our forum who has asked "27 years in the top flight and what did you achieve?".
We KNOW we're not a huge club. Which is exactly why 27 years in the top flight is a great achievement in itself.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just can't see why anyone would have a strong feeling about them either way. I think their stadium is very dull and the same as many others, but it's obviously decent enough. I think their team is a bit overrated and doesn't play in any great style, unlike us. However, it's undoubtedly more effective than 90% of the sides at this level and they're absolutely guaranteed to finish in the top four. I think their fans seem quite reasonable and they get bigger crowds than supposedly 'massive' clubs like Sheffield Wednesday. Of course they expect promotion, but if we dropped two divisions in five seasons then so would we. Overall, average club, decent enough support, maybe a slight sense of inflated importance due to a long stay in the Premiership, but still a solid Championship outfit.

I agree with you. Can't believe this infatuation with them some people have here.

saints-cris

Jan 1, 2011
Hello there, Saints fan here, another one i know, im sure you lads will love this lil influx of 'scummers' ;) Im only 10 mins from Brighton, plenty of Brighton fan mates so im pretty clued up on you lot.. but i never realised how many of you lot had a genuine dislike for us!

When we were in the Prem i remember lookin out for your results and hoping you did well.. once we were in the same league the petty side of me wanted you to do badly, sad i know. But i never really disliked Brighton at all! Only since being in league 1 did my petty side come into play but i think you lot have done brilliantly this season.. i thought ud be top 6 at the start of the season but youve really exceeded my expectation i have to say. Fair play. I was at the game last season at the Withdean and was impressed then, im sure youre even better now.

Having read this forum for a bit its been quite interesting seeing the various reasons why you dislike us. Some go way back and that doesnt bother me as im only 22 and wouldnt even understand.. but the main gist seems to be our 'arrogance'? To me, i think a lot of you are getting the wrong end of the stick. We DO NOT think were too good for this league, well i dont. I think that we feel that with the side we have that we shud be doing better. I think some of you can admit that player for player we are better than almost all teams in this league, and its frustration of us not already used that advantage to more effect. I know we have money but we havnt spent as much as some think, were not spending stupidly at all, we did that before and that got us nowhere.

Were not all that bad, but when it comes to it you lot keep throwing around how your better than us with more potential, it seems a bit silly. you are 6 points above us, congrats.. but the arrogance thing bugs us. I dont even know where thats coming from. But i think the best of you will admit we are your biggest threat. I dont feel we've hit our peak yet.

I applaud your great start to the season, i raelly do, but theres half to go and we are going to be a threat to your dream of the title. We have the right to go after it wether you see that as arrogance or not. At the end of the day, were not comparing ourselves to arsenal at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here