Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Funny how you have such a great recollection of a game not involving Brighton!!!

For the record, WBA had 5 shots on target and Norwich only 4, according the Premier League website.

The sooner your hero gets another job the sooner you can go and support them.

I watched the game - do you ever only watch Brighton games? - and the reason I watched the game was to see Wes Hoolahan playing (I watched Man City and Sheff U last night to see John Egan, Enda Stevens, Callum Robinson and David McGoldrick)

Norwich had about 20 shots in the second half - three hit the post - most were blocked by last ditch tackles from WBA defenders - it was all hands on deck to defend the goal for WBA in the second half - a half that Norwich utterly dominated.

You of all people should be conscious that the stats never tell the whole story.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just stop slating Chris and JRG will no longer feel the need to come to his defence. That's all that is really needed if you do sincerely want JRG to move on in relation to this subject.

J

Really? Neither of you are Brighton fans and Chris Hughton is no longer here. So if you both feel compelled to defend Chris Hughton at any slight criticism on here then perhaps stop monitoring this forum so closely for the sake of both your health.

At the end of the day, Tony Bloom is the chairman and the main reason we are where we are and it was ultimately up to him to judge Chris Hughton performance. He deemed this to no longer be up to the required level so sacked him.

I don't think you'll find any Brighton fan that does not respect what Chris Hughton did for us so really you don't need to defend him at every opportunity.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
However the majority view (and one I share) is that Potter has shown more tactical and selection flexibility/bravery. Gus took us forward, CH took us further and now GP is the man to build from here.

the use of the word 'bravery' is open to debate - but where have I ever made a criticism of Potter? - The jury is still out on Potter - he is 20 games into his job - but it is looking good so far and long may it continue.

Some people on here insist on regurgitating stuff from months ago - Hughton is gone - acknowledge and respect his achievements (and they were substantial) - and enjoy the ride.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Really? Neither of you are Brighton fans and Chris Hughton is no longer here. So if you both feel compelled to defend Chris Hughton at any slight criticism on here then perhaps stop monitoring this forum so closely for the sake of both your health.
Jumping to conclusions again - and NooBHA rarely posts on here - I am the one who responds to the nonsense.

At the end of the day, Tony Bloom is the chairman and the main reason we are where we are and it was ultimately up to him to judge Chris Hughton performance. He deemed this to no longer be up to the required level so sacked him.
Again - who is disputing the right of Bloom to do whatever he wants with the club - the guy owns it. What you do not know are the motivations Bloom had for sacking Hughton - what we have to work with is all rumour apart from a couple of interviews with the club's hierarchy - and their response seems to have been not that Hughton was no longer be up to the required level but that they wanted to go in a different direction.

I don't think you'll find any Brighton fan that does not respect what Chris Hughton did for us so really you don't need to defend him at every opportunity.
Seriously - have a look at the comments on this thread alone - the message is simple - if people want me to stop responding then stop posting nonsense in the first place.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
CH left a fabulous legacy at BHA and in a far better position than he found them and in that time he gave the fans some wonderful moments.

Totally agree with this, and I'm sure any right minded fan would agree too.

However he was also well supported by the chairman and the structure above him at the club, lets not forget that either.

Unfortunately the football in his second Prem season was bad leading to downright woeful in 2019, and with all due respect, Hughton had run his race as a Premiership manager with his style of football, which I think is the main reason he's not being looked at during the managerial merry go round

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

My health is fine but thanks for your concern. I too like the look of the way the team are playing. Potter seems a nice bloke too and I have no axe to grind against him and if the recruitment team get things right in the next few transfer windows then I am sure he will take the team forward because that truly is the key to taking the team forward as it is with every club. Just look how Man City have laboured since Americ Laporte has been out injured

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In the main you’re correct on that last point. But there’s been some bitchy and ungrateful stuff in the last year, sullying CH’s reputation, airbrushing out his incredible achievement in getting us out of the bear-pit of the Championship.

Achieved with automatic promotion, despite having just the 6th largest payroll (excluding post promotion bonuses), through great football. Then keeping us up twice. Along the way, sending 27,000 people home very happy, on countless occasions.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

However he was also well supported by the chairman and the structure above him at the club, lets not forget that either.

Unfortunately the football in his second Prem season was bad leading to downright woeful in 2019, and with all due respect, Hughton had run his race as a Premiership manager with his style of football, which I think is the main reason he's not being looked at during the managerial merry go round

You don't know how many clubs he spoke to and felt that club or that time was ready for him. They hit double figures now.

When he is ready he will take another job. He hasn't been short of offers.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Unfortunately the football in his second Prem season was bad leading to downright woeful in 2019,
Again - who is disputing this?

and with all due respect, Hughton had run his race as a Premiership manager with his style of football, which I think is the main reason he's not being looked during the managerial merry go round

This one is debatable - Hughton has been mentioned as a potential manager for every Championship club that has had a vacancy and for Watford, West Ham and even a couple of times in relation to Everton. I sincerely hope that he gets another crack at the PL - the guy deserves it - but I would jump for joy if he was given the Ireland job in the next couple of years.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
You don't know how many clubs he spoke to and felt that club or that time was ready for him. They hit double figures now.

When he is ready he will take another job. He hasn't been short of offers.

How many Premier league clubs offered him the job?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
How many Premier league clubs offered him the job?

That's not the question you should be asking. How many Clubs put on the table an offer that he would be willing to accept. No way he would be willing to accept. A 6 months contract to the end of the season. Why should he ?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
That's not the question you should be asking. How many Clubs put on the table an offer that he would be willing to accept. No way he would be willing to accept. A 6 months contract to the end of the season. Why should he ?

Well it is the question, cause it means no one except (at the time) bottom club Watford, and it appears their confidence in him going forward was low hence the 6 month deal.

Which really does kind of the back up the point that at the moment his Premier League stock is low.

Personally I'd like to see him at a well run Championship club with a fairly decent budget, he'd do well there, but if he gets another team promoted and keeps them up after season 1, then he'll have to re look at his football philosophy if he wants to be managing at the top level for years to come.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well it is the question, cause it means no one except (at the time) bottom club Watford, and it appears their confidence in him going forward was low hence the 6 month deal.

Which really does kind of the back up the point that at the moment his Premier League stock is low.

Personally I'd like to see him at a well run Championship club with a fairly decent budget, he'd do well there, but if he gets another team promoted and keeps them up after season 1, then he'll have to re look at his football philosophy if he wants to be managing at the top level for years to come.

Your assuming Watford was the only club to contact him. He will be back next year.

I will pass your trip on to him on how he should play if he finds himself back in the PL

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Your assuming Watford was the only club to contact him. He will be back next year.

I will pass your trip on to him on how he should play if he finds himself back in the PL

Contact is one thing, being offered the job is another.

No need, he's a smart bloke, I'm sure he's worked it out for himself.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have so tried to stay away from this spat that one or two posters have had with JRG over Chris' Managerial Career.

He like myself has personal links to Chris. That means that neither he or I will ever disrespect him or his career.

Others who have an axe to grind against him for whatever reason. No explanation of his talent will suffice. Whilst for JRG and myself. No explanation is necessary.

Just stop slating Chris and JRG will no longer feel the need to come to his defence. That's all that is really needed if you do sincerely want JRG to move on in relation to this subject.

Just accept that despite results and performances. CH left a fabulous legacy at BHA and in a far better position than he found them and in that time he gave the fans some wonderful moments.

If you had a kid say between the ages of say 6 and 10 - I bet they would say that the CH years were good years as opposed to bad ones

So not at all an impartial view but one constructed to defend his mate! Now we know. Explains why some of JRG's posts have "your" rather than "our" when refering to BHAFC players.

Still, there we go.

CH did a great job for us but the owner, like many thousands of other fans, got fed up with his negative, defensive football that very nearly got us in deep shit last season so he sacked him. I trust TB. To an outsider like myself he did exactly the right thing. It wasn't CH's millions, or JRG's or mine or yours. The man who pays the piper calls the tune.

CH did his job. He has gone. And I for one am really enjoying the pace and style of Potterball. You need to try and enjoy it too.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Jumping to conclusions again - and NooBHA rarely posts on here - I am the one who responds to the nonsense.

Again - who is disputing the right of Bloom to do whatever he wants with the club - the guy owns it. What you do not know are the motivations Bloom had for sacking Hughton - what we have to work with is all rumour apart from a couple of interviews with the club's hierarchy - and their response seems to have been not that Hughton was no longer be up to the required level but that they wanted to go in a different direction.

Seriously - have a look at the comments on this thread alone - the message is simple - if people want me to stop responding then stop posting nonsense in the first place.

"Nonsense" is in the eye of the beholder fella. Just because somebody has a view or opinion that differs from your own, it doesn't make it "nonsense" now does it?

Perhaps you had better write up a tutorial on what you consider to be "nonsense" and I'm sure we will all roll over to have our tummies tickled and we will never, ever, do it again (possibly)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Because he's currently unemployed and his PL stock isn't very high at the moment so it would be an opportunity to re-establish himself.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Hughton boys still going I see.

Again, we love the guy, he’s a legend. But we’ve moved on now as fans and as a club. It’s time you guys did too. Ludicrous that you feel the need to defend the guy at every perceived slight.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Exactly.

It’s very telling that there’s been a few Prem and top Championship jobs and CH has been overlooked for one reason or another.

I think a club like Boro or West Brom would have been a great fit, but agreed he has to adapt his philosophy in the PL. Football has moved on. Fans and chairman just don’t want to see the backs to the wall anti football anymore (hence the likes of Big Sam and Pulis still out of work).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here