Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Moyes is looking to rehabilitate his reputation - but I actually don't rate him. Sometimes managers are good at a single club - and things go downhill once they leave.
I can't make my mind up. I think he's limited but maybe that's what they need right now - someone who can discipline overrated players.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Over 38 matches we were better than Cardiff, fact. Just.

Focusing on them finding form at the end of the season with Amex and OT wins, disregards the many months when they were even worse than us. Worth a mention too, the complete incompetence of match officials in gifting Cardiff 2 extra points against us in our meeting there (tailor made for VAR).

It's not just focusing on Cardiff though. If I was Bloom, I would be looking at the fact that we escaped by the skin of our teeth and that we had 3 very lucky wins in the Autumn, plus the way we approached games and managed as games progressed. The only question was could we be as lucky next time round. Bloom felt we couldn't rely on that and rolled the dice.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It's not just focusing on Cardiff though. If I was Bloom, I would be looking at the fact that we escaped by the skin of our teeth and that we had 3 very lucky wins in the Autumn, plus the way we approached games and managed as games progressed. The only question was could we be as lucky next time round. Bloom felt we couldn't rely on that and rolled the dice.

Jaysus - come on - Bloom sacked Hughton 7 months ago - I think he has made his decision for whatever reason he did and its time to move on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Where do you get the idea that I'm making light of it. Just stating that it was not exciting football.

I love watching exciting football but if you offer me 2 years of defensive football but Prem survival then after the struggle we've had to get this far I'm taking that every time.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes she did - and if they had they would have been relegated a lot earlier - the squad that Hughton had to work with at Norwich was brutal. Delia Smith should explain how some of the directors were being paid more than most of the players - it was a very old squad when Hughton took over (the average age over 30) and he tried his best to make it younger. Smith is being completely disingenuous - the 12 games before Hughton was sacked, Norwich went - 3W - 3D - 6 L (they beat Sunderland, Spurs and Hull and drew with Newcastle, Stoke and Man City) and were between 12th and 15th the entire time.

I have no reason to disbelieve you. You appear to know a lot more about Norwich than I do.
I haven't got a view on CH's record at Norwich, I was merely posting what I read about Delia Smith.
P.S.Out of interest, I have just looked up Norwich's remaining fixtures post Hughton's departure: Fulham, Liverpool, Man U.,Chelsea and Arsenal.
Tough and the chances are they would have gone down with him in charge, so at least he can say, he never took a team down!

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It could be argued that whatever Bloom did he was rolling the dice. That’s management. He obviously believed that the odds of survival were improved by replacing Hughton.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Judging by twitter the West H’aaaaaaaaa’m fans are not Happy Hammers tonight.

Fans are often not happy with an appointment, until that appointment turns things around and puts a few wins together. See Mourinho and Bruce from this season alone!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fans are often not happy with an appointment, until that appointment turns things around and puts a few wins together. See Mourinho and Bruce from this season alone!

Gritt is Shit daubed on the Goldstone being another example closer to home

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I have no reason to disbelieve you. You appear to know a lot more about Norwich than I do.
I haven't got a view on CH's record at Norwich, I was merely posting what I read about Delia Smith.
P.S.Out of interest, I have just looked up Norwich's remaining fixtures post Hughton's departure: Fulham, Liverpool, Man U.,Chelsea and Arsenal.
Tough and the chances are they would have gone down with him in charge, so at least he can say, he never took a team down!

Yes - the run in was tough - and that added to the Board's panic - but remember, Norwich were 5 points above the relegation zone when Hughton was sacked. He was sacked after Norwich lost 0-1 to WBA - and they were very unlucky dominating the game for the entire second half, peppering the WBA goal with shots, hitting the post three times and having countless chances - they just lacked what many team who don't spend big money - a striker who would toe-poke the ball into the net. His sacking also panicked the players who were like deer in headlights for the remaining games and gave a massive boost to the other teams fighting relegation (particularly Sunderland). Fulham were five points below Norwich and the two teams played each other days after Hughton was sacked - Fulham won the game and Norwich were in deep trouble. That was the key game. As I said - Hughton has always been adamant that he would have kept Norwich up - he knew what the players were capable of - and his entire career he has been open and honest in his assessment of where his teams were at.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I love watching exciting football but if you offer me 2 years of defensive football but Prem survival then after the struggle we've had to get this far I'm taking that every time.

You have a point but, for how many more seasons would you put up with watching defensive football? I think the problem for Hughton was that Bloom, whilst grateful for survival, was looking ahead to see if he felt we could survive again playing that way.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes - the run in was tough - and that added to the Board's panic - but remember, Norwich were 5 points above the relegation zone when Hughton was sacked. He was sacked after Norwich lost 0-1 to WBA - and they were very unlucky dominating the game for the entire second half, peppering the WBA goal with shots, hitting the post three times and having countless chances - they just lacked what many team who don't spend big money - a striker who would toe-poke the ball into the net. His sacking also panicked the players who were like deer in headlights for the remaining games and gave a massive boost to the other teams fighting relegation (particularly Sunderland). Fulham were five points below Norwich and the two teams played each other days after Hughton was sacked - Fulham won the game and Norwich were in deep trouble. That was the key game. As I said - Hughton has always been adamant that he would have kept Norwich up - he knew what the players were capable of - and his entire career he has been open and honest in his assessment of where his teams were at.

Funny how you have such a great recollection of a game not involving Brighton!!!

For the record, WBA had 5 shots on target and Norwich only 4, according the Premier League website.

The sooner your hero gets another job the sooner you can go and support them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I imagine this is what it is like living in North Korea :mad:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Funny how you have such a great recollection of a game not involving Brighton!!!

For the record, WBA had 5 shots on target and Norwich only 4, according the Premier League website.

The sooner your hero gets another job the sooner you can go and support them.

I have so tried to stay away from this spat that one or two posters have had with JRG over Chris' Managerial Career.

He like myself has personal links to Chris. That means that neither he or I will ever disrespect him or his career.

Others who have an axe to grind against him for whatever reason. No explanation of his talent will suffice. Whilst for JRG and myself. No explanation is necessary.

Just stop slating Chris and JRG will no longer feel the need to come to his defence. That's all that is really needed if you do sincerely want JRG to move on in relation to this subject.

Just accept that despite results and performances. CH left a fabulous legacy at BHA and in a far better position than he found them and in that time he gave the fans some wonderful moments.

If you had a kid say between the ages of say 6 and 10 - I bet they would say that the CH years were good years as opposed to bad ones

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I have so tried to stay away from this spat that one or two posters have had with JRG over Chris' Managerial Career.

He like myself has personal links to Chris. That means that neither he or I will ever disrespect him or his career.

Others who have an axe to grind against him for whatever reason. No explanation of his talent will suffice. Whilst for JRG and myself. No explanation is necessary.

Just stop slating Chris and JRG will no longer feel the need to come to his defence. That's all that is really needed if you do sincerely want JRG to move on in relation to this subject.

Just accept that despite results and performances. CH left a fabulous legacy at BHA and in a far better position than he found them and in that time he gave the fans some wonderful moments.

If you had a kid say between the ages of say 6 and 10 - I bet they would say that the CH years were good years as opposed to bad ones

What he said

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Your personal relationships with CH won’t stop others airing their opinions. Many of us are season ticket holders and have been around a long time. I really don’t think there are are many on here who look at the Hughton years negatively. However the majority view (and one I share) is that Potter has shown more tactical and selection flexibility/bravery. Gus took us forward, CH took us further and now GP is the man to build from here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here