Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Seriously - at Newcastle Ashley spent less than £10million following promotion - Norwich who refuse to spend money (then and now) - and Brighton had a bottom 3 budget. Apart from a couple of games at the start of each season at Norwich and one game at the start of the first PL season at Brighton - Hughton's teams (3 of them) have never been in the relegation zone. For getting promotion with 2 teams from the Championship (and taking over one in their second season in the PL) that is an utterly remarkable achievement - go and look at the record of every single promoted team over the past 10 years and you will see what an achievement it is. Newcastle were 9th when Ashley sacked Hughton - his first season at Norwich they finished 11th and when he was sacked they were 5 points above the relegation zone with five games to play - At Brighton he had a 15th and a 17th finish - and for those last four seasons he was working with a bottom 3 budget. Defying those odds is very impressive.

It is a daft measure of how successful a manager is - over the past 10 years Hughton is one of the longest serving managers in the PL.

Brighton were in a much more precarious position last season than Norwich were - 5 points above relegation with 5 games to go - the Norwich board panicked (Bloom didn't) - and Hughton has always been adamant that he would have kept Norwich up. We don't know if he would have kept them up but we do know that they had been picking up points consistently throughout the season and went into freefall after sacking him.

jesus christ on a bike, is this you "moving on"?

madman

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Seriously - at Newcastle Ashley spent less than £10million following promotion - Norwich who refuse to spend money (then and now) - and Brighton had a bottom 3 budget. Apart from a couple of games at the start of each season at Norwich and one game at the start of the first PL season at Brighton - Hughton's teams (3 of them) have never been in the relegation zone. For getting promotion with 2 teams from the Championship (and taking over one in their second season in the PL) that is an utterly remarkable achievement - go and look at the record of every single promoted team over the past 10 years and you will see what an achievement it is. Newcastle were 9th when Ashley sacked Hughton - his first season at Norwich they finished 11th and when he was sacked they were 5 points above the relegation zone with five games to play - At Brighton he had a 15th and a 17th finish - and for those last four seasons he was working with a bottom 3 budget. Defying those odds is very impressive.

It is a daft measure of how successful a manager is - over the past 10 years Hughton is one of the longest serving managers in the PL.

Brighton were in a much more precarious position last season than Norwich were - 5 points above relegation with 5 games to go - the Norwich board panicked (Bloom didn't) - and Hughton has always been adamant that he would have kept Norwich up. We don't know if he would have kept them up but we do know that they had been picking up points consistently throughout the season and went into freefall after sacking him.
Ok Chris-either enjoy your retirement or find another club. It isn't healthy hanging about on here.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

jesus christ on a bike, is this you "moving on"?

madman

He's put together a series of arguments that examine the evidence and you've responded with a random insult - you think people can't see this and judge for themselves who has "moved on"

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
West Ham fans will expect to get Rafa Benitez and will end up with Moyes or Fat Sam again.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Rafa has like a 12m buy out clause. And would want to be paid 15m a year. Along with the 9m paid off to Pellegrini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
He's put together a series of arguments that examine the evidence and you've responded with a random insult - you think people can't see this and judge for themselves who has "moved on"

selective stats and conjecture is not an arguement, it's bullshit

and he is the one suggesting that "we" move on whilst obviously doing the oppposite,

but i think most people will judge this for themselves

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
selective stats and conjecture is not an arguement, it's bullshit

and he is the one suggesting that "we" move on whilst obviously doing the oppposite,

but i think most people will judge this for themselves

I've moved on, completely happy with our new managerial team, but I find your reaction less moving on than someone simply highlighting CH has a good managerial record (which he does).

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I've moved on, completely happy with our new managerial team, but I find your reaction less moving on than someone simply highlighting CH has a good managerial record (which he does).
er....... i think you've missed the point

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
West Ham fans will expect to get Rafa Benitez and will end up with Moyes or Fat Sam again.

Well neither Moyes nor Alladyce will appease the fans, but what they will probably do is keep them in the Premier League, and that surely has to be their short term aim, for now at least.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well neither Moyes nor Alladyce will appease the fans, but what they will probably do is keep them in the Premier League, and that surely has to be their short term aim, for now at least.

I do see why they would prefer Potter though, even if they have zero chance of getting him imo. He would, in fact, be perfect for a team like West Ham. That long contract extension is looking a very wise move now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

They are very selective arguments to suit his agenda. Norwich were 5pts clear with 5 to go but those five games were Fulham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. From the beginning of Dec, to the point they sacked Hughton, they won 4 games, West Brom, Sunderland, Hull and Spurs (they only won 4 games prior to that). They scored 2 or more goal on only 6 occasions (This season we've done this 7 times already but under Hughton last term only managed it 8 times all season).

However, stats are one thing, what you watch on the pitch is another. We know Hughton's approach was to sit back and try not to concede and 'hope' to nick a goal'. It was dire to watch and reports from Norfolk suggest that Norwich fans felt the same.

JRG is an admitted big fan of Hughton, presumably because of their Irish links and for that reason I would respectfully suggest he can't see the effing wood because of the effing trees!!!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They are very selective arguments to suit his agenda. Norwich were 5pts clear with 5 to go but those five games were Fulham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. From the beginning of Dec, to the point they sacked Hughton, they won 4 games, West Brom, Sunderland, Hull and Spurs (they only won 4 games prior to that). They scored 2 or more goal on only 6 occasions (This season we've done this 7 times already but under Hughton last term only managed it 8 times all season).

However, stats are one thing, what you watch on the pitch is another. We know Hughton's approach was to sit back and try not to concede and 'hope' to nick a goal'. It was dire to watch and reports from Norfolk suggest that Norwich fans felt the same.

JRG is an admitted big fan of Hughton, presumably because of their Irish links and for that reason I would respectfully suggest he can't see the effing wood because of the effing trees!!!

Living in Norfolk I can confirm that is the almost universal view up here. I did meet one Hughton fan but that’s it. Neither JRG nor LI were watching the games that season and, as you say, with their run-in he had all but relegated them by the time he was sacked. Having said all that I thoroughly enjoyed the Hughton era at Brighton until the second half of last season. Potter though has taken us to a different level that I had not thought possible so I can look back positively at Hughton whilst being very grateful that he has been replaced by someone more able at managing in this division.

I'd accept some of what you say, your stats balance JRG's well, but your overall description of Hughtonball (sorry!) is not my memory of it, yes the deep defending was frustrating at times (I moaned about it on here plenty times) but there was also a lot of attacking down the wings through Izzy, Knocky and Solly that got the best out of Murray's ageing legs or through Gross's clever playmaking in the "10" role. I'd say that's a more balanced assessment of what we lived through

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I do see why they would prefer Potter though, even if they have zero chance of getting him imo. He would, in fact, be perfect for a team like West Ham. That long contract extension is looking a very wise move now.

So true.

We really are very fortunate to have such a forward thinking club and owner. Whilst most clubs were plotting their summer holidays Tony swooped in to get one of the most exciting young managers around.

That said we are a good fit for him too. Looking at how Bilic is doing now suggests he’s a good manager. But working for basket case owners makes it a difficult job.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

January to May 2019 may have been bad, but much of the rest of his tenure had some brilliant moments in it, and we were often an exciting team to watch, especially our first season promoted.

We have progressed this season even if we have less wins and points compared to this time last season, but to say it was always dire to watch - I'd say you've got a fair few trees in front of you as well.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Can you imagine the Dildo Brothers being impressed with a CV that includes a Master's Degree in Leadership and Emotional Intelligence!?:mad::hilton:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The records confirm that but the evidence suggests that was because Norwich sacked him with 5 to go!

I remember Delia Smith stating that the mistake the Norwich Board made was in not sacking him earlier than they did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here