Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Matt Lawton in The Times today says that 'sources' have indicated that Hughton, along with Pulis and Allardyce, are no longer in the frame for the Watford job.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Paddy Power have suspended the Betting on Elton John becoming next Manager. Must be a ''done deal''

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
If I was Hughton I wouldn't take it - Watford are a basket case and it has been brewing for quite a while

I expect them to get relegated - if they don't they likely will next season unless they spend more than £150m - and if they are relegated I can see them going the way of Huddersfield and Sunderland.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Matter of opinion - only time will tell if it was the right decision for BHAFC

I already think it was....and will still do so if we don’t stay up. We were going to go down under CH anyway IMO, and his approach wasn’t aligned to the club’s long term vision. If we do go down, that still won’t be ‘proof’ that sacking him was wrong because we don’t know how things would have turned out..........so you’re right, it’s a matter of opinion and you’re wrong, time won’t prove anything.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I already think it was....and will still do so if we don’t stay up.
So you would be okay with getting relegated - got that

We were going to go down under CH anyway IMO,
Your opinion - but a massive unsubstantiated claim - Hughton has never got a team relegated

and his approach wasn’t aligned to the club’s long term vision.
Have you the insight to the remit given to Hughton by Bloom - and evidence that Hughton refused to follow the remit - or maybe Bloom decided to alter the 'club's long term vision' at the end of last season and just dump Hughton without discussing it with him

If we do go down, that still won’t be ‘proof’ that sacking him was wrong because we don’t know how things would have turned out..........so you’re right, it’s a matter of opinion and you’re wrong, time won’t prove anything.
Now you are actually making some sense - and just like we don't know what will happen with Potter this season - we also do not know what would have happened with Hughton - so your claim that 'we were going to go down under Hughton anyway' is mere supposition.

I don't know if Hughton would have kept Brighton up this season - the evidence is that continuity with the manager makes it easier - but I would argue that if Potter gets the club relegated then it is a serious negative for the club (even if they play entertaining football) - furthermore - if Brighton do get relegated I think they might have a bit of difficulty getting back up again - it is far from an easy thing to do.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I don't know if Hughton would have kept Brighton up this season - the evidence is that continuity with the manager makes it easier - but I would argue that if Potter gets the club relegated then it is a serious negative for the club (even if they play entertaining football) - furthermore - if Brighton do get relegated I think they might have a bit of difficulty getting back up again - it is far from an easy thing to do.

continuity with hughton would be a downward spiral to oblivion

D

Deleted member 2719

Watford would be about the right level for Chris.
Deeney up top all on his own.

Done deal, a good match.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

If we go down, I can live with that playing the football we are trying to play. I believe Hughton would have taken us down and it would have remained dire to watch

Your opinion - but a massive unsubstantiated claim - Hughton has never got a team relegated

More by luck than judgement. Norwich were doomed when he was released. Similarly, last year he avoided a relegation on his cv, not because of his fantastic management but because Cardiff failed to beat Fulham

Have you the insight to the remit given to Hughton by Bloom - and evidence that Hughton refused to follow the remit - or maybe Bloom decided to alter the 'club's long term vision' at the end of last season and just dump Hughton without discussing it with him

You don't need to have second sight to appreciate that TB would not settle for 17th year on year.

Now you are actually making some sense - and just like we don't know what will happen with Potter this season - we also do not know what would have happened with Hughton - so your claim that 'we were going to go down under Hughton anyway' is mere supposition.

Here I agree with you, no one can say they know we would have gone down with Hughton still in charge. However, based on last year I suspect most would believe we would get relegated had he remained. We'll never know.

Exactly where is your evidence of that? Watford, although struggling now, have had more managers over the last few years but have stayed in the PL. Southampton likewise. Everton have had six changes in the last 6 years. West Ham have had a few as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Nope. Not what I said. I’d be disappointed if we went down, but I’d rather we went down playing like we are now, than go down playing like we were for 20+ games last season

Why massive ? It’s an OPINION. I THINK we would have gone down.

The evidence was fairly clear to those of us who go to games and follow the U23s.

Yes, yes it is (as are most of your assertions) but based on what I watched for a large part of last season, and the associated stats (chances, goals, points, wins)

Yes, we know you like to argue....

...as for being difficult to get back up, no shit, Sherlock.

You’re clearly not a fan, and don’t go to games so other than being part of the Hughton family I can’t work out your agenda. Possibly Palace perhaps, scuttling off to your pals to chuckle about haw many Albion fans you’ve wound up today ?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Exactly where is your evidence of that? Watford, although struggling now, have had more managers over the last few years but have stayed in the PL. Southampton likewise. Everton have had six changes in the last 6 years. West Ham have had a few as well.

Watford

First season up - 8 points from the last 11 games
Second season - 17th - lost last 6 games
Third season - 5 points from the last 9 games
Fourth season - 7 points from last 9 games

This is why the managers keep getting into trouble.

Watford's relative success in the PL is build largely on Troy Deeney's goals - and whoever he has had with him. Watford have always had two goalscorers (occasionally 3) - that they keep selling - Ighalo for £20m - then Richarlison for £40m. The chickens have now come home to roost - Deeney is older and injury prone and they can't score anymore.

Southampton have had managerial changes - Koeman left for Everton in 2016 - he had the likes of Mane, Van Dijk, Schnerderlin, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Wanyama, Pelle, Clyne, Alderweireld, Shaw, Lallana, Lovern, Lambert, - and he had Southampton hitting 6/7 each season for 3 seasons. Southampton sold all their best players. Keoman's exit has seen a major slide since. Puel arrived - a very lucky 8th in 2017 - which got him the sack. Then Pellegrino in 2018 with Hughes replacing him in March and a 17th place. Last season - Hughes sacked in December when Southampton were 19th - ended 16th. And I have made the point before that the entire first team for Southampton last season were on higher wages than the highest paid player at Brighton. The lack of continuity has killed Southampton since Koeman left - if they stuck with Puel they possibly would not be in this situation now. They are hanging in by virtue of the money they are spending. Southampton spend roughly the same as Brighton this summer on transfers.

You point to Everton and West Ham - but these are both clubs with tradition in the top division - Everton were league champions twice in the 1980s and won the fa cup in the 1990s - they are a big team and this summer spent something like £100m on players. The reason they haven't done better is because they keep picking the wrong manager. West Ham are similar - making a lot of bad choices - yet they spent nearly £50million on one player this year and almost as much again on others.

Given the amount of money that Southampton, Everton and West Ham are spending - their precarious nature over the last few seasons actually supports my contention that changing managers and a lack of consistency pretty much makes a mess of sh*t - it doesn't demonstrate that they are doing okay.

Let's look at the longest serving managers -
Howe - Bournemouth - 7 years
Dyche - Burnley - 7 years
Klopp - Liverpool - 4 years
Guardiola - Man city - 3 years

Recent departures -
Pochettino - 5 years - and a couple of good years at Southampton before that

Apart from the massive oligarch money - the teams that have been most consistent (with the odd up and down) are the ones that have some consistency at manager. Realising that unless there is a couple of hundred million a year going to be spent - the target should be a consistent approach and trying to get the best value for expenditure. The Leicester title win was a one off (and that has helped the club financially that has succeeded in keeping the momentum going). Unrealistic expectations from owners (and fans) usually result in some form of crisis. Appoint the manager and let them build a solid squad with a consistent approach over a period of years.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Apart from the massive oligarch money - the teams that have been most consistent (with the odd up and down) are the ones that have some consistency at manager. Realising that unless there is a couple of hundred million a year going to be spent - the target should be a consistent approach and trying to get the best value for expenditure. The Leicester title win was a one off (and that has helped the club financially that has succeeded in keeping the momentum going). Unrealistic expectations from owners (and fans) usually result in some form of crisis. Appoint the manager and let them build a solid squad with a consistent approach over a period of years.

Could have started with Hughton. We would be a year ahead.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Watford

First season up - 8 points from the last 11 games
Second season - 17th - lost last 6 games
Third season - 5 points from the last 9 games
Fourth season - 7 points from last 9 games

This is why the managers keep getting into trouble.

Watford's relative success in the PL is build largely on Troy Deeney's goals - and whoever he has had with him. Watford have always had two goalscorers (occasionally 3) - that they keep selling - Ighalo for £20m - then Richarlison for £40m. The chickens have now come home to roost - Deeney is older and injury prone and they can't score anymore.

Southampton have had managerial changes - Koeman left for Everton in 2016 - he had the likes of Mane, Van Dijk, Schnerderlin, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Wanyama, Pelle, Clyne, Alderweireld, Shaw, Lallana, Lovern, Lambert, - and he had Southampton hitting 6/7 each season for 3 seasons. Southampton sold all their best players. Keoman's exit has seen a major slide since. Puel arrived - a very lucky 8th in 2017 - which got him the sack. Then Pellegrino in 2018 with Hughes replacing him in March and a 17th place. Last season - Hughes sacked in December when Southampton were 19th - ended 16th. And I have made the point before that the entire first team for Southampton last season were on higher wages than the highest paid player at Brighton. The lack of continuity has killed Southampton since Koeman left - if they stuck with Puel they possibly would not be in this situation now. They are hanging in by virtue of the money they are spending. Southampton spend roughly the same as Brighton this summer on transfers.

You point to Everton and West Ham - but these are both clubs with tradition in the top division - Everton were league champions twice in the 1980s and won the fa cup in the 1990s - they are a big team and this summer spent something like £100m on players. The reason they haven't done better is because they keep picking the wrong manager. West Ham are similar - making a lot of bad choices - yet they spent nearly £50million on one player this year and almost as much again on others.

Given the amount of money that Southampton, Everton and West Ham are spending - their precarious nature over the last few seasons actually supports my contention that changing managers and a lack of consistency pretty much makes a mess of sh*t - it doesn't demonstrate that they are doing okay.

Let's look at the longest serving managers -
Howe - Bournemouth - 7 years
Dyche - Burnley - 7 years
Klopp - Liverpool - 4 years
Guardiola - Man city - 3 years

Recent departures -
Pochettino - 5 years - and a couple of good years at Southampton before that

Your arguments are so piss poor. You select stats that support your view and ignore those that don't. Pretty much how you view your beloved CH!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair enough - please produce the stats to disprove the argument I made.

I did. I gave you four examples of clubs that have chopped and changed their manager and are still in the PL. You gave four examples that are the other side of the coin. That disproves your argument. Some clubs chop and change and some don't.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I did. I gave you four examples of clubs that have chopped and changed their manager and are still in the PL. You gave four examples that are the other side of the coin. That disproves your argument. Some clubs chop and change and some don't.

You cannot just toss out the name of a club without putting it into context - Man Utd have also chopped and changed their manager and are still in the PL - they also spent about £700million in transfers over the past five years and one player is paid more than the entire Brighton starting 11.

There are two teams that really should not be in the PL given their size of club and the size of their fan base - Bournemouth (average att. last season 10,532) and Burnley (who get a remarkable 20,000 from a town of 73,000 people). These are the bottom two clubs attendance wise - yet they have been incredibly consistent - in large part to having the two longest serving managers in the division.

Of the clubs you mentioned - Watford were the only club that could possibly confirm your argument - but there were specific reasons (they had Deeney and signed good strikers who scored goals) - but the chickens are coming home to roost at Watford and they likely will get relegated and could keep tumbling once they do. I doubt we see them in the PL again for a long time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You cannot just toss out the name of a club without putting it into context - Man Utd have also chopped and changed their manager and are still in the PL - they also spent about £700million in transfers over the past five years and one player is paid more than the entire Brighton starting 11.

There are two teams that really should not be in the PL given their size of club and the size of their fan base - Bournemouth (average att. last season 10,532) and Burnley (who get a remarkable 20,000 from a town of 73,000 people). These are the bottom two clubs attendance wise - yet they have been incredibly consistent - in large part to having the two longest serving managers in the division.

Of the clubs you mentioned - Watford were the only club that could possibly confirm your argument - but there were specific reasons (they had Deeney and signed good strikers who scored goals) - but the chickens are coming home to roost at Watford and they likely will get relegated and could keep tumbling once they do. I doubt we see them in the PL again for a long time.

:facepalm:

Can't wait for Hughton to get a job and you can disappear and go and populate their forum!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Moose on Talksport this morning concerned for West Hams plight, thinks one more bad result tomorrow and Pellegrini will be gone and he thinks they'll go and get Nuno Santo from Wolverhampton to succeed him and not Hughton.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Moose on Talksport this morning concerned for West Hams plight, thinks one more bad result tomorrow and Pellegrini will be gone and he thinks they'll go and get Nuno Santo from Wolverhampton to succeed him and not Hughton.

Not sure why Nuno would downgrade to that set-up......................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here