Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember Delia Smith stating that the mistake the Norwich Board made was in not sacking him earlier than they did.

She’d better get on with sacking the current incumbent then

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I remember Delia Smith stating that the mistake the Norwich Board made was in not sacking him earlier than they did.
Yes she did - and if they had they would have been relegated a lot earlier - the squad that Hughton had to work with at Norwich was brutal. Delia Smith should explain how some of the directors were being paid more than most of the players - it was a very old squad when Hughton took over (the average age over 30) and he tried his best to make it younger. Smith is being completely disingenuous - the 12 games before Hughton was sacked, Norwich went - 3W - 3D - 6 L (they beat Sunderland, Spurs and Hull and drew with Newcastle, Stoke and Man City) and were between 12th and 15th the entire time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
January to May 2019 may have been bad, but much of the rest of his tenure had some brilliant moments in it, and we were often an exciting team to watch, especially our first season promoted.

We have progressed this season even if we have less wins and points compared to this time last season, but to say it was always dire to watch - I'd say you've got a fair few trees in front of you as well.

Afraid I disagree. Most of our time in the Prem was poor for those two years, the excitement only being that we were in the Prem league. In first season we won one away game and only scored 2 or more on 8 occasions in the league. His second season we only did it 6 times. There were of course the odd highlights but they were too few.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes she did - and if they had they would have been relegated a lot earlier - the squad that Hughton had to work with at Norwich was brutal. Delia Smith should explain how some of the directors were being paid more than most of the players - it was a very old squad when Hughton took over (the average age over 30) and he tried his best to make it younger. Smith is being completely disingenuous - the 12 games before Hughton was sacked, Norwich went - 3W - 3D - 6 L (they beat Sunderland, Spurs and Hull and drew with Newcastle, Stoke and Man City) and were between 12th and 15th the entire time.

Selective yet again. Go back to the 18 games prior to his sacking and the record is 3W, 6D 9L!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Selective yet again. Go back to the 18 games prior to his sacking and the record is 3W, 6D 9L!!!

From the BBC report :

Brighton have won four of their last seven Premier League home games (D1 L2), as many as they had won in their previous 18 at the Amex Stadium.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Afraid I disagree. Most of our time in the Prem was poor for those two years, the excitement only being that we were in the Prem league. In first season we won one away game and only scored 2 or more on 8 occasions in the league. His second season we only did it 6 times. There were of course the odd highlights but they were too few.

Don't make light of how hard it is to get a foothold in the Prem. Cardiff, Hudds and Fulham didn't hang around for long,Villa and Norwich are currently in the bottom 3. Wolves spent a fortune but - unlike Fulham - spent it wisely, while Sheff Utd have had a great start but then so did Hull.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't make light of how hard it is to get a foothold in the Prem. Cardiff, Hudds and Fulham didn't hang around for long,Villa and Norwich are currently in the bottom 3. Wolves spent a fortune but - unlike Fulham - spent it wisely, while Sheff Utd have had a great start but then so did Hull.

Where do you get the idea that I'm making light of it. Just stating that it was not exciting football.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Why stop at 18 - go to 23 and we have 6W, 6D, 11L - or go back to the start of the season - and you get 8W, 8D, 17L - the ratio is roughly the same for the entire season 1 game in 4 a win, 1 in 4 a draw and 2 in 4 a loss.

And the point I was making was that Norwich under Hughton were consistently picking up points the entire season.

When he was sacked Norwich were 5 points above relegation with 5 games to go - the Norwich board panicked and Norwich went 1D, 4L over the last five games. Even dropping below the season average would have generate 1W, 1D, 3L and Norwich would have stayed up. Nobody knows if Hughton would have saved Norwich - he was never given the chance - I think he would have and Hughton himself has always been adamant he would have (and he knew what was going on inside the club). Fortunately for Brighton , Bloom did not panic - he gave Hughton the chance to do the job and Hughton succeeded in keeping Brighton in the PL.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Look at every other club that is promoted - this is not unusual - last season Huddersfield won 1 game away from home - they scored 22 goals in 38 games and won 3 games over the entire season. Fulham also won 1 game away from home - they scored 34 goals in 38 games - Cardiff did a bit better - they won 4 games away from home - but they lost a sh*tload of games and also scored 34 goals in 38 games.

It is not easy to keep a team in the PL - particularly a newly promoted team - and the biggest problem is scoring goals. Strikers do not grow in trees and they are very expensive. West Ham spent £50million on Hallar and he has scored 5 goals. If you find a striker who can score consistently you make your job of PL survival easier - if you find two that can hit 30 goals between them then you are on the pigs back.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why stop at 18 - go to 23 and we have 6W, 6D, 11L - or go back to the start of the season - and you get 8W, 8D, 17L - the ratio is roughly the same for the entire season 1 game in 4 a win, 1 in 4 a draw and 2 in 4 a loss.

And the point I was making was that Norwich under Hughton were consistently picking up points the entire season.

When he was sacked Norwich were 5 points above relegation with 5 games to go - the Norwich board panicked and Norwich went 1D, 4L over the last five games. Even dropping below the season average would have generate 1W, 1D, 3L and Norwich would have stayed up. Nobody knows if Hughton would have saved Norwich - he was never given the chance - I think he would have and Hughton himself has always been adamant he would have (and he knew what was going on inside the club). Fortunately for Brighton , Bloom did not panic - he gave Hughton the chance to do the job and Hughton succeeded in keeping Brighton in the PL.

:facepalm:

Your love of him knows no bounds!!!

Bloom didn't panic but we stayed up not because of what Hughton did but because Cardiff bottled it at the last minute. Had they beaten Fulham at home we would have been down as nothing would have changed in our tactics to get the win we needed. 3pts out of the last 27 (or 11 out of the last 54 available). First sub on 70 minutes and pretty much always like for like. Big up the opposition at every press conference. Keep it tight and hope to nick a goal. Yes, we stayed up but Bloom didn't like what he was watching (and paying for) so Hughton had to go. Watching matches now completely vindicates that decision, irrespective of whether we stay up or not.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:facepalm:

Your love of him knows no bounds!!!

Bloom didn't panic but we stayed up not because of what Hughton did but because Cardiff bottled it at the last minute. Had they beaten Fulham at home we would have been down as nothing would have changed in our tactics to get the win we needed. 3pts out of the last 27 (or 11 out of the last 54 available). First sub on 70 minutes and pretty much always like for like. Big up the opposition at every press conference. Keep it tight and hope to nick a goal. Yes, we stayed up but Bloom didn't like what he was watching (and paying for) so Hughton had to go. Watching matches now completely vindicates that decision, irrespective of whether we stay up or not.

Over 38 matches we were better than Cardiff, fact. Just.

Focusing on them finding form at the end of the season with Amex and OT wins, disregards the many months when they were even worse than us. Worth a mention too, the complete incompetence of match officials in gifting Cardiff 2 extra points against us in our meeting there (tailor made for VAR).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Over 38 matches we were better than Cardiff, fact. Just.

Focusing on them finding form at the end of the season with Amex and OT wins, disregards the many months when they were even worse than us. Worth mention too, the complete incompetence of match officials in gifting Cardiff 2 extra points against us in our meeting there (tailor made for VAR).

And the fact that Brighton were safe with still two games to play.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Whereas I hope he gets his own back this time by sending them down. He's got a great opportunity to do that - they are bang average.

Moyes is looking to rehabilitate his reputation - but I actually don't rate him. Sometimes managers are good at a single club - and things go downhill once they leave.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Judging by twitter the West H’aaaaaaaaa’m fans are not Happy Hammers tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here