Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

went on the 1901 tour yesterday

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Two questions:

b) Why is the north stand called 'north' as it is, by compass, the most southerly stand of the Amex? In the goldstone, the north stand was the north because it was the most northerly (with refernce to a compass)?

There is a massive electro magnet, that is part of some science project at Sussex University, which causes all compasses in the immediate vicinity to point the wrong way.
So North is South and South is North at the Amex.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Two things making me hesitate:

- TRHK Jr off to Uni and will only be coming to a few games, so if he wants to come I assume he won't be able to sit by me if I have a Gold membership seat. (sounds like we'd struggle to get a seat anywhere in the stadium anyway in the first season)
- One parking space per four Gold memberships. Is there a way to join up with other members to make use of this if you only have say one or two tickets?

Will put these to the guys at the marketing suite when I go down, but can't imagine they are unique concerns.

Correct about your son, assuming all seats are sold in 1901 club, he won't be able to join you as a casual.

Parking, I spoke to Martin Perry about this at a recent forum. He said the idea of teaming up with other members for a 1901 Parking space hadn't been considered, but he thought it was a good idea and would promote it via the 1901 club email. He hasn't done so yet I might add!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I asked this question explicitly and was told that the tickets are sold on a 5 year basis amd you are committed to a 5 year contract. But, you can take a years holiday during the five years if you wish.

OK - I haven't been down there yet and will raise this when I go.

I thought the payment window was to allow you to retain the seat should you want to but if you were finding it tough to pay.

If you no longer want the seat (or can no longer aford to pay for it even with a payment window), I understood you forfeit the money you paid up front but could walk away. The club then has the opportunity to resell the seat and make another £500/£1000 on it.

Otherwise, why would anyone commit to a lifetime ticket? Big exposure.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
I asked this question explicitly and was told that the tickets are sold on a 5 year basis amd you are committed to a 5 year contract. But, you can take a years holiday during the five years if you wish.

After committing to the 5 year contract, I won't be able able to afford a bloody holiday!! But I know what you mean. :)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Correct about your son, assuming all seats are sold in 1901 club, he won't be able to join you as a casual.

Parking, I spoke to Martin Perry about this at a recent forum. He said the idea of teaming up with other members for a 1901 Parking space hadn't been considered, but he thought it was a good idea and would promote it via the 1901 club email. He hasn't done so yet I might add!

Good idea and reasonably easy to administer online I would have thought. That may address my concern. Nothing against P&R at all - but would hate to have a Gold ticket and think I wasn't using my quarter of a parking space!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

There will be a ticket concierge for the 1901 club, if members are unable to make a game, then they can offer their tickets to the concierge to sell on their behalf. I would imagine that there will always be some tickets available for each game, you could quite possibly get a ticket for your son on a match by match basis. Maybe not so easy right at the start, or for high profile games, but you should be able to do it.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
There will be a ticket concierge for the 1901 club, if members are unable to make a game, then they can offer their tickets to the concierge to sell on their behalf. I would imagine that there will always be some tickets available for each game, you could quite possibly get a ticket for your son on a match by match basis. Maybe not so easy right at the start, or for high profile games, but you should be able to do it.

Of course, I forgot about that facility.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

so if you stop going, you are comitted to pay your £80 a month for as long as your "contract" remains

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After committing to the 5 year contract, I won't be able able to afford a bloody holiday!! But I know what you mean. :)

Go and sit in your padded seat for two weeks during the summer. I can think of worse places to go on holiday. In fact I've been to some.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
so if you stop going, you are comitted to pay your £80 a month for as long as your "contract" remains

You pay, whether you attend matches or not. You can shift your tickets through the concierge, or elsewhere, or you can decide to sell up your 'seat' and get the going rate for it.

Right now it would appear ours are worth about £3K each

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You pay, whether you attend matches or not. You can shift your tickets through the concierge, or elsewhere, or you can decide to sell up your 'seat' and get the going rate for it.

Right now it would appear ours are worth about £3K each

But if you sell your seat, do you sell it at £1000 and add on the remainder of your £80 a month that you will still have to pay until your contract runs out in 5 years time, ie say 1000 + 80 x 36 months

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
But if you sell your seat, do you sell it at £1000 and add on the remainder of your £80 a month that you will still have to pay until your contract runs out in 5 years time, ie say 1000 + 80 x 36 months

A fair question, not sure it is one that most have considered. I dare say there will be a clause in the contract about how to get out of it. Can't imagine it will be too punitive though.

Oh, and you sell the seat for whatever you can get for it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A fair question, not sure it is one that most have considered. I dare say there will be a clause in the contract about how to get out of it. Can't imagine it will be too punitive though.

Oh, and you sell the seat for whatever you can get for it.

But presumably , its an income stream for the club, therefore I would have thought you are comitted to pay that amout per month for the contract term you specify. Otherwise, the club have a seat where if you have sold it to A N OTHER they will get no income from it.

OR will the buyer take over the £80 per month and pay it him/herself?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If you sell your seat I assume the buyer takes over the contract and is then committed to paying each month. You sell the right to the seat - in effect a transfer of the contract, not a sale.

I am sure that if you give up your seat the commitment to pay goes too - as does your right to a seat at a game. But will find out.

On the other matter (unable to attend a game), getting the concierge to sell your ticket is great when the club is doing well and demand is high. What if demand falls in say 10 years as we do a Portsmouth? If no one wants to buy your ticket for a game/games then your stuck with it. Foolish to assume that if you can't make it to a game you will be able to sell the seat on. Won't be a problem for a while, but if interest wains.....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nope, not selling my prime position Platinum seat even for 3 k

It seems that pretty well everyone is very impressed by the tour, I really did just go to hear what they had to say, I had no intention of buying a ticket on the spot, as I can't make 50% of games, but was totally sold after an hour of soft sell.

Tainted Love?
:lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you sell your seat I assume the buyer takes over the contract and is then committed to paying each month. You sell the right to the seat - in effect a transfer of the contract, not a sale.

I am sure that if you give up your seat the commitment to pay goes too - as does your right to a seat at a game. But will find out.

On the other matter (unable to attend a game), getting the concierge to sell your ticket is great when the club is doing well and demand is high. What if demand falls in say 10 years as we do a Portsmouth? If no one wants to buy your ticket for a game/games then your stuck with it. Foolish to assume that if you can't make it to a game you will be able to sell the seat on. Won't be a problem for a while, but if interest wains.....

which is in effect what happens now. You have no chance of getting £25 for your ST when you cant make a game, the auuemption is that we will be flying high in the championship and therefore people will want to buy your ticket...that is the chance you take

( this is purely for interest as I havent bought a 1901 club, nor would I)

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
concierge?

has Falmer turned into a New York apartment block or something?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
But presumably , its an income stream for the club, therefore I would have thought you are comitted to pay that amout per month for the contract term you specify. Otherwise, the club have a seat where if you have sold it to A N OTHER they will get no income from it.

OR will the buyer take over the £80 per month and pay it him/herself?

When you buy the seat, you take ownership of the seat, it is yours, not the clubs, it was described to us as a piece of real estate, which the buyers own. So nothing the club can do about it once it have been bought, it is no longer a revenue stream for the club (until the 5 year options run out).

I think you are right though, if you sell your seat, then the person who buys it will have to take on the contract. Entry to the stadium will only be granted if the money has been paid, so if you buy the seat off someone, you wont be able to get in unless you have signed up to the DD.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
concierge?

has Falmer turned into a New York apartment block or something?

It's what all new stadia do (well decent size ones), the company running it have done this at 7 or 8 of the newest stadiums in the UK over the past 8 years or so, and it is the way forward, they call them 'Club Seats' which are more affordable than the traditional 'Boxes', which therefore ensures more takers.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am so glad I went for the 1901 club route, because the season ticket selection is going to be a complete nightmare, and one that worried me a lot. I'm happy knowing I have our seats already sorted and will just sit back and watch the binfest begin in November.

I really think the 1901 seats are fantastic value as the £640 price quoted here is already higher than I suspect many would have expected a season ticket to be. Give it three years and the cost of a season ticket in a good spot will probably approach that of the 1901 club anyway.

Give it five years and I suspect some of the normal football fans may be priced out of going. Not right, but what is the club supposed to do. It's the way the premiership has forced football to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here