Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

went on the 1901 tour yesterday

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Good report - thanks.

Makes me tempted to get a couple of those last seats - how do you get the tour ?

Go to seagulls.co.uk, click on the 1901 link and speak to the lovely Marcus. He'll arrange for you to go and have a look round. Be warned however, there are very few left and they will be gone soon. I'm going to have a look on Tuesday but still can't decide which route to go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No it has not changed, and it is a 5 year deal for the seat if you go down the 5 year route. Why is it open for abuse? You pay £500 for a seat with a commitment for monthly payments. If you default the club still have your £500 and a seat to resell.

Because it times are not so good, it may be in the punter's favour to default on payments to give up the ticket.

In the same way that during bad times for the property market and the economy generally, home-owners just walk away from their (heavily mortgaged) house.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
as i see it, for people who wanna go on the tour, that instead of groups of people being shown everything its now individuals . so just ring or email and you head down there and theyll explain everything to you.

must clarify when i say tour , you dont actually get a tour . youre not allowed in the stadium (health and safety etc) . they do take you donw to the south east corner where you can look through . still good for the likes of me who hasnt been that close to it before. you basically watch that des lynam video and then have a little presentation . got 2 free beers too ,lovely!!

there were people in the upper west stand being shown around. i thought that was the next part of our tour but it was in fact the executive box bods.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Little bit off topic but as a matter of interest for those of us who don't intend to go for the 1901 club, will it be possible to book a table in 'hospitality' on a game by game basis?

(For example if you wanted a table of 10/12 for a birthday etc?)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Give it five years and I suspect some of the normal football fans may be priced out of going. Not right, but what is the club supposed to do. It's the way the premiership has forced football to go.

I think that is the saddest thing ever written on this board!

WTF is football for?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Little bit off topic but as a matter of interest for those of us who don't intend to go for the 1901 club, will it be possible to book a table in 'hospitality' on a game by game basis?

Yes, I am certain they said that something like that was going to be possible, just as you can do at present.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
If I hadn't gone for 1901, it would definitely be the North for me. It has to be the most fun stand. The family end of the East Stand is going to be so tightly controlled that this will kick on to the full stand.

The top of the West Stand is a long way up unless you get some of the early rows which will probably be taken by the ten year season ticket holders who apparantly have first priority. So its back of the bottom tier in the West or North Stand I would have thought.

so does that mean that the ENTIRE east stand will be 'zero tolerance' - whatever that means at a football ground - of just the FAMILY SECTION of the stand?

it looks like the majority of the casual match-by-match ticket sales will be in the east stand - as the north and the west will be pretty much ST only - so surely they can't expect to enforce some silly zero tolerance rule?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
so does that mean that the ENTIRE east stand will be 'zero tolerance' - whatever that means at a football ground - of just the FAMILY SECTION of the stand?

it looks like the majority of the casual match-by-match ticket sales will be in the east stand - as the north and the west will be pretty much ST only - so surely they can't expect to enforce some silly zero tolerance rule?

The whole of the East stand is a family designated area so yes zero tolerance

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I can't imagine what a zero-tolerance rule will be like with our stewards. Nightmare.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ

as i heard it , no you cant just buy into the hospitality for a one off game , unless you buy a 1901 seat from someone who cant attend. once there you have your own bars , dining and pay for what you want.

they do however do weddings , functions , birthday parties etc 7 days a week

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
The whole of the East stand is a family designated area so yes zero tolerance

really? All 5,000 (ish) seats are family areas? don't think so, how would they manage match-by-match sales then? if somebody phones to buy tickets will they say 'sorry, these seats are reserved for family groups only'?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
as i heard it , no you cant just buy into the hospitality for a one off game , unless you buy a 1901 seat from someone who cant attend. once there you have your own bars , dining and pay for what you want.

they do however do weddings , functions , birthday parties etc 7 days a week

I think you're right. I understood that the Platinum hospitality included fine dining, the Gold hospitality included more a finger buffet type dining. I wasn't told if there was any more than just food outlets in the rest of the ground though

I didn't ask because I hadn't thought of it at the time but what if a Platinum member wants to book a table and bring along a gold member and a regular season ticket holder and also someone who has just bought a ticket for the game..will that work?.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I think you're right. I understood that the Platinum hospitality included fine dining, the Gold hospitality included more a finger buffet type dining. I wasn't told if there was any more than just food outlets in the rest of the ground though

I didn't ask because I hadn't thought of it at the time but what if a Platinum member wants to book a table and bring along a gold member and a regular season ticket holder and also someone who has just bought a ticket for the game..will that work?.

i think and i could be wrong that there is a lounge where gold and platinum can mingle. but then gold have their own lounges too

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Anyone think the club's made a bit of a blunder by making the £1000 seats for LIFE rather than just 10 or 20 years? That's masses of potential future revenue lost.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because it times are not so good, it may be in the punter's favour to default on payments to give up the ticket.

In the same way that during bad times for the property market and the economy generally, home-owners just walk away from their (heavily mortgaged) house.

Well of course, and if there are cheaper tickets in the ground, and people default to take those, then that will be a reflection of hard times, and people may give up their 1901 seats for nothing. But the club will still have taken the initial payment, and subsequent payments up to that point. They will have earned on that seat. All they've given up at the point is projected income, and will have their asset back i.e. the seat.

I had detailed discussions on this very point, as did my friend who took 2 1901 seats who was worried about this very point.:thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For more details email 1901@bhafc.co.uk or call 0845 504 1901 now!

Go to seagulls.co.uk, click on the 1901 link and speak to the lovely Marcus. He'll arrange for you to go and have a look round. Be warned however, there are very few left and they will be gone soon. I'm going to have a look on Tuesday but still can't decide which route to go.

Cheers chaps.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone think the club's made a bit of a blunder by making the £1000 seats for LIFE rather than just 10 or 20 years? That's masses of potential future revenue lost.

You realise the £1000 simply secures the seat. At present that is secured at £76 +VAT for gold per month for 5 years. At the end of that 5 years they can change that price depending on what league we are in.

Are you really suggesting that is future revenue lost? as a business model, I would say that is a 5 year secured revenue stream that no other part of the clubs business can deliver over that kind of long term timescale. :wink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well of course, and if there are cheaper tickets in the ground, and people default to take those, then that will be a reflection of hard times, and people may give up their 1901 seats for nothing. But the club will still have taken the initial payment, and subsequent payments up to that point. They will have earned on that seat. All they've given up at the point is projected income, and will have their asset back i.e. the seat.

I had detailed discussions on this very point, as did my friend who took 2 1901 seats who was worried about this very point.:thumbsup:

No

You buy your seat for 5 years and are contracted to that seat for 5 years...you pay £ 500 and then £80 a month for 5 years...irrespective if you sell the tciket...its your contract with the Albion. Therefore if you sell your seat, you MUST make sure that your selling price includes the money you owe to the end of the contract, or you will be out of pocket. Presumably if you die, the club are a creditor on your estate until your seat expires. How does this work on life tickets?

The club do not see any income from that seat on top of what you are due to pay for your 5 years.

That is what has been stated before.

If you sell that seat for £100 million, the club dont see any of that apart from what you owe them on expired 5 years.

Or is that bollocks?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But if times are hard, the club will have the asset but probably at a lower re-sale value. So the club could loose out if people are allowed to just walk away.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If you walk away after a season, those 23 matches (ignoring cup games for simplicity) have cost you 12 x £76 + £1000. That's £2,294 (inc VAT). That's around £100 a game. The club have not lost out if you walk away and give the seat back.

As time goes by, your £1000 is amortised over more games so per game it costs you less and the club has earned less per game, but it has had the revenue.

If you walk away after 4 seasons, those 92 matches have cost you 48 x £76 + £1000 = £5577, which is £60 a game. So the club has had less per game but had had the fixed income. If you walk away they then have the chance to resell that seat for £x. Even if it's not the original £1000 again, they'll not lose out.

And remember these seats (should you like that kind of thing) are plush seats with more legroom and member bars etc. The club won't lose out.

One more thing - the £1000 membership is for the life of the stadium, not the life of the member - so that seat is yours to hand on down the family should they want it for a very long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here