Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Welcoming refugees. Well done Brits!

Jan 30, 2008
I'm sure the ladies are lovely too - I just didn't chat to any! My point (which I should have added) was that the sailors understood that it was a complex problem, and there was only so much they could do.

I think there's plenty of evidence that the French ARE trying to stamp out the criminal activity of traffickers, but I was pointing to the fact that the EU border patrols are more active in the Eastern Mediterranean than they are in the Channel - simply because that's the route where most refugees and asylum-seekers enter the EU.

The refugee crisis is an unbelievably complex issue. Fortunately for the UK it doesn't really impact us (in terms of the day-to-day).....although you wouldn't guess that from the hysteria being generated at the moment!!

https://youtu.be/5pZWuYwCqYw

Regards
DF

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Thanks - good debate! I think it just indicates the need for countries to work together to resolve the issue. We receive a very small number of asylum applications (last year we were 17th in Europe, on a population-adjusted basis), and have done very little in the past (even when we were within the EU) to play our part in alleviating the refugee crisis. Leaving the EU has meant we can no longer return these asylum applicants to France (or elsewhere), so - as most asylum-seekers come from repressive regimes or war-torn countries, we will HAVE to house them. The new law has made lots of headlines in the UK but (as the government itself has acknowledged) there is little evidence to suggest a country's immigration laws are taken into consideration by asylum-seekers. It's a horrendous situation which needs Europe-wide co-operation....not something this government is known for!!

Jan 30, 2008
Thanks - good debate! I think it just indicates the need for countries to work together to resolve the issue. We receive a very small number of asylum applications (last year we were 17th in Europe, on a population-adjusted basis), and have done very little in the past (even when we were within the EU) to play our part in alleviating the refugee crisis. Leaving the EU has meant we can no longer return these asylum applicants to France (or elsewhere), so - as most asylum-seekers come from repressive regimes or war-torn countries, we will HAVE to house them. The new law has made lots of headlines in the UK but (as the government itself has acknowledged) there is little evidence to suggest a country's immigration laws are taken into consideration by asylum-seekers. It's a horrendous situation which needs Europe-wide co-operation....not something this government is known for!!

You keep on day dreaming Jim war torn countries like Albania LMFAO, Australia sorted out their problem no doubt we will sort out ours ,keep it real
Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You keep on day dreaming Jim war torn countries like Albania LMFAO, Australia sorted out their problem no doubt we will sort out ours ,keep it real
Regards
DF

I can't help but smile at the fact that just about every person on every post of yours will probably make far more of a success of their lives than you ever have.

And that's why you constantly post on these threads, it's just so unfair :lolol:

Jan 30, 2008
I can't help but smile at the fact that just about every person on every post of yours will probably make far more of a success of their lives than you ever have.

And that's why you constantly post on these threads, it's just so unfair :lolol:

Cheers mate ,where would I be without you :thumbsup:
Regards
DF

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Regards
DF

Well, we (along with the US and many others) have just spent 20 years in Afghanistan trying to sort it out. The moment we withdraw, the Taliban are on the march again. I don't hold out much hope for peace in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, South Sudan, etc. We have to face the fact that millions of people will continue to flee these war-torn countries. And millions (who have already fled) are holed up in refugee camps in countries like Turkey, Greece, Lebanon, Jordan, etc. It's an unsustainable situation, and we can't just wash our hands of it (especially as our own actions in places like Syria and Iraq have fed into the instability).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Now I don’t know DR/Ppf from Adam, never met him or even know what he does, are you basing that assumption on evidence from NSC waffle or do you know him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well, we (along with the US and many others) have just spent 20 years in Afghanistan trying to sort it out. The moment we withdraw, the Taliban are on the march again. I don't hold out much hope for peace in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, South Sudan, etc. We have to face the fact that millions of people will continue to flee these war-torn countries. And millions (who have already fled) are holed up in refugee camps in countries like Turkey, Greece, Lebanon, Jordan, etc. It's an unsustainable situation, and we can't just wash our hands of it (especially as our own actions in places like Syria and Iraq have fed into the instability).

And these are just the refugees from war zones. Wait until the climate refugees start...

Jan 30, 2008

My heart bleeds for them Jim , why dont they head off for Saudi Arabia or Dubai ?
Regards
DF

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
My heart bleeds for them Jim , why dont they head off for Saudi Arabia or Dubai ?
Regards
DF

You've already said you respect the rule of law in this country and the application of it. We have no control over why an economic migrant, asylum seeker, refugee decides to travel 1000s of miles to enter the country, and until they get to our borders / waters, we don't have influence over that.

Politically we can control what we can control. Your chosen leader and party is in power. I really don't know or understand what you're constantly moaning about? It's like there is something else at work on this subject.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Now I don’t know DR/Ppf from Adam, never met him or even know what he does, are you basing that assumption on evidence from NSC waffle or do you know him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think our watters knows everyone,intimately,he has a lot of lodgers living buck shee inside his bonce....shame one is not a plumber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think our watters knows everyone,intimately,he has a lot of lodgers living buck shee inside his bonce....shame one is not a plumber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For someone who supposedly has had me on Ignore for months, you certainly seem to have an unhealthy interest in taking peeks at everything I post. It certainly appears someone isn't paying rent for their lodgings :lolol:

And I do hope it wasn't your anti-semitic friend [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] who made you take the Israeli flag off your Avatar ???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Regards
DF

Australia sorted out the immigration problem so well that immigrants took over the entire country and enslaved, imprisoned and impoverished the indigenous peoples.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For someone who supposedly has had me on Ignore for months, you certainly seem to have an unhealthy interest in taking peeks at everything I post. It certainly appears someone isn't paying rent for their lodgings :lolol:

And I do hope it wasn't your anti-semitic friend [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] who made you take the Israeli flag off your Avatar ???

Das Reich already said he is long term unemployed didn’t he? Started a thread about his benefits I believe.
My guess is;
One grey NHS crutch
Flesh coloured wrist support. Slightly nicotine stained.
Face covering exemption lanyard.
Talks to the bus driver

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
You've already said you respect the rule of law in this country and the application of it. We have no control over why an economic migrant, asylum seeker, refugee decides to travel 1000s of miles to enter the country, and until they get to our borders / waters, we don't have influence over that.

Politically we can control what we can control. Your chosen leader and party is in power. I really don't know or understand what you're constantly moaning about? It's like there is something else at work on this subject.

That's hasn't answered the question of why they dont try to get to affluent countries nearer to where they've departed from , what's the magical attraction of the UK and why are they passing through safe countries to get here
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008
Das Reich already said he is long term unemployed didn’t he? Started a thread about his benefits I believe.
My guess is;
One grey NHS crutch
Flesh coloured wrist support. Slightly nicotine stained.
Face covering exemption lanyard.
Talks to the bus driver

The gift that keeps on giving :dunce:
Regards
DF

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's hasn't answered the question of why they dont try to get to affluent countries nearer to where they've departed from , what's the magical attraction of the UK and why are they passing through safe countries to get here
Regards
DF

To piss you off?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Regards
DF

Given Turkey take the largest number of refugees in the world, with Germany not too far behind, the answer is not all of them try to get here, and most of them do stop in closer safe countries.

Jan 30, 2008
Given Turkey take the largest number of refugees in the world, with Germany not too far behind, the answer is not all of them try to get here, and most of them do stop in closer safe countries.

Merkel invited them over without consulting the German public ? , Turkey allowed vast numbers to invade the Greek island of Samos ?
Why aren't they heading for Saudi Arabia or Dubai ?
Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here