Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Imagine if Welbeck had scored 9 goals in 34 appearances for Southampton, Villa, Palace or Leicester having arrived on a free transfer then this board would be up in arms at how we'd dropped a massive clanger, and the recruitment team just don't know what to do with strikers and should have gone for him regardless of his fitness. What a signing he's been.

Not just his goal return either, it felt like from the moment he arrived he bought a bit of senior professionalism and experience with him and not just that, it came with a smiling enjoying himself disposition. He seems a really likeable bloke, despite all his injury setbacks always giving his all whether from the bench or starting. Doesn't feel like you're ever going to get a strop from Welbeck, it's like he really does value every minute he gets on the pitch. Sometimes a signing is worth more than just the sum of their statistics. I wouldn't mind betting Maupay in particular has really benefitted from him being around.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not just his goal return either, it felt like from the moment he arrived he bought a bit of senior professionalism and experience with him and not just that, it came with a smiling enjoying himself disposition. He seems a really likeable bloke, despite all his injury setbacks always giving his all whether from the bench or starting. Doesn't feel like you're ever going to get a strop from Welbeck, it's like he really does value every minute he gets on the pitch. Sometimes a signing is worth more than just the sum of their statistics. I wouldn't mind betting Maupay in particular has benefitted from him being around.

He's played fewer games than you'd expect for someone of his age, and he clearly hasn't lost his pace, so perhaps he's got a good 3 or 4 years left at a high standard. Great to see him playing and enjoying his football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Imagine if Welbeck had scored 9 goals in 34 appearances for Southampton, Villa, Palace or Leicester having arrived on a free transfer then this board would be up in arms at how we'd dropped a massive clanger, and the recruitment team just don't know what to do with strikers and should have gone for him regardless of his fitness. What a signing he's been.

He's been excellent, especially this season when he's been scoring once every three games! And I say this as someone who was deeply sceptical for the first half of last season and wouldn't have minded if he'd gone the way of Locadia.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Always comes over as a model pro. What you'd expect Lamptey to be like in another 10 years time. Even back in his Arse/ManUre days, he always sounded well grounded and not up his own jacksie.

The way we have managed him, his injuries and the camaraderie around the club, right from the top down, you'd expect he'd be very much in favour of staying around here if /when we offer a new contract (which you'd hope that we do).

The Contract Renewal Dept needs to get its finger out, the list of players needed new contracts is growing.......

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Better than you thought he was? 42 England caps with a strike rate better than 1 in 3 and you didn't think he would be that good?

Yup :shrug: his career had been going downhill, had just been relegated with Watford, his early England career always seemed predicated on potential that was never reached, so by the time we signed him he was a long long way from an England call up. Meanwhile I'd never appreciated his skills because most of what I'd previously seen of him was someone struggling to fulfil his potential in a Manchester United side of greater talents.

Freed from that early career pressure and in a team where he's not completely overshadowed by much better players, it's easier to recognise his ability as an individual.

I always thought he could be good, i just didn't believe he would be this good. Better than I thought.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not just his goal return either, it felt like from the moment he arrived he bought a bit of senior professionalism and experience with him and not just that, it came with a smiling enjoying himself disposition. He seems a really likeable bloke, despite all his injury setbacks always giving his all whether from the bench or starting. Doesn't feel like you're ever going to get a strop from Welbeck, it's like he really does value every minute he gets on the pitch. Sometimes a signing is worth more than just the sum of their statistics. I wouldn't mind betting Maupay in particular has really benefitted from him being around.

He hey, well Welbeck benefitting from Maupay being around at the weekend :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

For which he has only played 90 mins 8 times.

Much like [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] I really wasn't expecting him to be THAT much better than all those before.
He has been superb.
So I was loud wrong there.

He's been great at saving games and this season saving a point.

There's no way reason why that can't continue.

But Shirley the club can't continue in leaving points on the pitch due to not taking care of today's business (and all other Premier League days up to this one).

We can bleat on all we like about goals from midfield - 'next season will be the one'.
Goals from set pieces - 'x should have had a hattrick tonight'.

The bottom line is they aren't coming.

Goals aren't coming from an injured/managed time Welbeck.
Goals aren't consistently coming from Maupay.

Teams don't get to be Draw Kings with a fully functioning front 3 strikers.
We've got 2 but need 3.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Welbeck is currently the strongest of our strikeforce. His movement is great ( hopefully Maupay is taking notes when training alongside him ). Obviously he is good in the air which is something that has been missing since Glenn hung up his boots. It's just a shame about his injury record but if he was 100% fit we would never have got anywhere near to signing him. Hopefully he now stays fit and sees out the rest of the season keeping up his 1 in 3 ratio

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not just a good player but a squad asset, his ability and experience can only be a positive influence for Maupay and any other strikers we may may not have!

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
pretty terrible today and against Man Utd. Does he think he's not getting a contract extension? Nothing he did went right today. Surely can't be just lacking match sharpness.

Yes most ineffective game at the Amex but got no service from a strangely under par midfield

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Would have hoped for a Welbeck upgrade this summer in addition to Undav arriving. But I guess the budget may be limited.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here