Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We will be the laughing stock

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
It goes beyond just benefitting the Albion, it benefits the whole city. Brighton is very reliant on tourism, a big reason why we reportedly have more pubs and restaurants than anywhere but London is the weekend tourists. In a recession with pubs closing left, right and centre, anything that brings more cash into the city has to be a good thing. If a great football experience means more away fans at Falmer, many of whom will probably make a weekend of it (particularly in sunnier times of year), that could be worth an extra million quid a year to the hotels, pubs, restaurant, shops etc in town. Would you begrudge them that, thread starter? You're even more of a dickbiscuit than your posts would suggest if so.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very good a idea to attract more away fans as it means more revenue for us and the City.

Has the thread starter ever studied economics ?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Always been the problem with Brighton fans so disloyal always turn on their own fans !! What a joke
Pot, kettle. So because a couple of people disagree with you, you are saying that the problem with Brighton fans (of whom you claim to be one) is that they are disloyal and turn on their own fans - oh the irony.

But as to your point - well it is a point of view, but I don't agree with you. We'd like the away end to be full, it makes for a better overall experience and also brings in revenue. So like Martin Perry says, make the ground welcoming, and one that away fans pick out as an away game they'd like to go to.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So your saying if we don't put pictures up on walls and change lighting colours then fans won't come ...... Do me a favour mate . Does it ever stop you from going to away games cos there's no Peter ward pictures up on walls .

.. no but I often think about not going to grounds because they are sh*t.

I like old grounds with character, but I think twice about going to places in the middle of nowhere with rubbish facilities.

Leeds (for example) is a rubbish away end. I'm not particularly in love with Brentford although it is convenient. The famous pubs around the ground aren't (in my opinion) the best places to drink and as much as I like a terrace, the view from their current away end is bad.

I think there is a bit of a bigger picture here and it's to do with access to ground which isn't great - we know that.

They are trying to encourage away fans to drink / eat at the stadium and not all turn up half an hour before kick off.

...which is also money in the bank.

Great idea - other teams will follow.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hello Brighty - nice of you to log on but you're still a twat :thumbsup:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I have to agree somewhat with the original poster, can you imagine putting Palace legends on the wall in the away end if we go up and play them next season. Will more away fans really turn up if the away end is decorated in their teams colours and that teams legends are all over the walls?? I go to football for the atmosphere and the passion, not the conditions of the away end concourse. Also, away fans will look out for Brighton away on the fixture list and especially if we're in the Championship there will most likely be good away turnouts to experience first hand the Amex stadium anyway.
On the other hand, I suppose football is changing and it may have a postive impact, just my opinion.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Very good a idea to attract more away fans as it means more revenue for us and the City.

Has the thread starter ever studied economics ?

I doubt if he's studied much at all, judging by the posts on this thread.

It's a brilliant initiative and real touch of class from the club. Hats off to all those involved.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I agree with the earlier post, what fin it would be when palace arrive to use blue and white lights and put put posters and videos of us beating them!!!! Now that would be forward thinking.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
To be fair it does seem a little bit gay, and I can't see it being a deciding factor as to whether someone is going to attend the stadium or not. Selling beers local to the away team, however, is a great idea. Although all these little bits and pieces put together will probably influence away fans.

But shhhhhh, you're not allowed to criticise the Amex or any part of the club on NSC. :wink:

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think its a great idea, the club is looking after all its customers (which is what we are now, like it or not) not just the Brighton ones. If these little touches help to fill the away end match after match then the club will be more prosperous for it. I also think that making the experience a good one for the away support will actually fire them up less than an intimidatory setting (just a gut feeling, no proof).

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Some people like full fat milk, some people like semi-skimmed milk and weirdos like skimmed milk.

It certainly won't detract from the number of potential attendees.

hence me saying it was my opinion...

i just don't believe more away fans will turn up because of this; away support will be good next season if we go up, even if we dont decorate the away end.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I don't mind it. Most fans of other clubs (from all leagues) I've spoken to, think it's a nice touch. I mean, it will be the same in the home end (we've got pictures everywhere) so I don't get the issue. Would be nice to leave it blank for the Palace though.

It will be left blank against Palace as they have never had any legends lol

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think, where possible, they should have images of legends of the opposition team lording it over the Albion. e.g. Warboys and Bannister running rings around the Albion defence, constant replays of all the goals from Crystal Palace 5-0 Brighton, Huddersfield putting 7 past us etc. It would really make the away fans feel welcome and add to the atmosphere.

Geo

Oct 18, 2010
Heathfield
Have been reading the forums of clubs up and down the country commenting on our great stadium and the innovative and interesting experience the club wants to make available to visiting fans. By far and away most like 99 % think this is such a good idea and all those that commented have put the Amex on their stadium must see visit list. There is no doubt that whoever worked out the marketing strategy has done a really fantastic job. S/T sales, high tech screens the whole experience will make us the envy of teams up and down the country. I for one am really proud to be a Seagull.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Have been reading the forums of clubs up and down the country commenting on our great stadium and the innovative and interesting experience the club wants to make available to visiting fans. By far and away most like 99 % think this is such a good idea and all those that commented have put the Amex on their stadium must see visit list. There is no doubt that whoever worked out the marketing strategy has done a really fantastic job. S/T sales, high tech screens the whole experience will make us the envy of teams up and down the country. I for one am really proud to be a Seagull.

Whilst I've generally read good things, it's most definetely not 99%.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here