Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We sign Jason Jarrett

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Quality signing. Most positive I have felt about any of our signings this year (bar Virgo maybe). Hopefully can be the box to box midfielder we have been missing.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
What a brilliant signing. He's easily championship standard, and still would be were it not for injuries. Another step nearer kicking out the shit and getting some quality in midfield. Once fit, Birchall-Jarrett-Livermore will be a million times better than the jokers we've seen in recent weeks. Good work:clap:

Please call me a canute but with respect you know less about midfielders than Dean White knows about motivating the players.

You have this rather touching ideal of midfield players running around and hitting good passes which might be ok for 6-a side friendlies. The reality in the football we watch is that players have to be marked and running off the ball(without it) matters.

Your ridiculous rants against Hammond are now being followed by a campaign against Fraser and ElAbd. Of course they don't work well together in midfield but both have something to offer and only Fraser is a midfielder.

I usually agree with your views on players like Murray, Kuipers and the defenders.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Cox has his weaknesses - consistency being the main one - but I'd ALWAYS start him over McLeod.

McLeod is a difficult option now. On one hand he needs games to get fit and to return to form, but on the other we can't afford to play with ten men in our position.
he is adding nothing to the team and as you say it'slike playing with 10 players when mcloed is in the team he needs to warrant his place in the reserves.yes he has had injury problems but has been in the squad since at least the peterboro game in october !!! midfield on tuesday should be burchell,el abd /fraser,jarrett,cox.
dont share your views on el abd although he was poor yesterday he is a decent defensive midfielder played alongside a more attack minded player but not alongside fraser.would rather have livermore in there above them both but think he is needed at left back on tuesday allowing whingy to play at right back and virgs to give some pressence up front.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not very often agree with TCB but I do as regards playing Livermore in midfield and Whing at left back as I believe that Livermore is no better at left back than Mayo, he is no faster. Unless we sign a striker in the next 24 hours I would go with Virgo up front and El Abd at right back. If we do sign a striker I would put Virgo at right back and El Abd on the bench. I also think that McLard needs to lose some pounds and that is good coming from me if you could see me but then I am not a pro footballer.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I wasn't putting McLeod's fitness problems down to injury. As you say he hasn't been injured for a while. I don't want to make accusations, but clearly he's not in the right shape for one reason or another.

I think you're probably right regarding the midfield on Tuesday. I'd play Birchall - Jarrett - Livermore - Cox, keep Whing at left-back and move El Abd into right-back. I expect Adams will go more with your plan though.

Doesn't McLeod have a history of bad discipline/attitude. I'm worried that he lacks any motivation at all to get fit/demonstrate his fitness. I don't reall understand why - he looked a decent player at the start of the season, and Adams said he was a player who would improve with a run in the side and confidence. It just seems like he's gone from a key member of the side to a sub-reserve standard player. Hopefully he'll get back on track, for the moment I don't think he warrants a start, he barely warrants inclusion on the bench were it not for the fact he is, at least, an attacking option.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Doesn't McLeod have a history of bad discipline/attitude. I'm worried that he lacks any motivation at all to get fit/demonstrate his fitness. I don't reall understand why - he looked a decent player at the start of the season, and Adams said he was a player who would improve with a run in the side and confidence. It just seems like he's gone from a key member of the side to a sub-reserve standard player. Hopefully he'll get back on track, for the moment I don't think he warrants a start, he barely warrants inclusion on the bench were it not for the fact he is, at least, an attacking option.
pretty much agree with all that,it is hard to understand how he has gone from the quality player he looked like at the start of the season to some one who adds nothing to the team.i'd love him to get back to his early form as he is the only out and out winger we have that should be able to go past the full back and whip a cross in but it's a long time since we have seen that,as spider says he barely warrants a place on the bench let alone the starting place he seems to have week in week out

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Pleased we have bolstered our midfield but i hope this isn't the midfielder Adams was after initially.Knight did say two substantial offers have been made and one being a championship player.What concerns me is the lack of games this chap has played like Birchall.We cannot afford to wait 6-7 matches before they peak at match fitness.
I'm hoping for money to be spent on two decent players who are rated by there club.Even if they are league 2 players like Murray.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
A championship player with pedigree who can't get into the team is probably the best we can get at the mo so Jarrett seems a good buy. End of season seems best for everyone. Unfortunately, in our current predıcament whoever we get will be a 'wait and see' buy.

Hope he works out.... we have spent so many resources on finding the right midfielers for so long my default button is rather negative.

Since Callaghan and Hammonds departures we've had

Thompson
Livermore
Racon
Mcleod
Thornton
Johnson
Savage
Anyınsah

And who is currently here who we would rely on in midfield?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Since Callaghan and Hammonds departures we've had

Thompson
Livermore
Racon
Mcleod
Thornton
Johnson
Savage
Anyınsah

And who is currently here who we would rely on in midfield?

Hmm, but nearly all of those midfielders on paper were decent signings. Thomson was an SPL captain, Livermore had played 24 games for Hull who were promoted to the premier league, Racon was highly rated by Charlton and did bloody well here. McLeod had played most of his football at champ level (I think), Thornton was an Ireland U21 international, Johnson had been playing for Leeds last season after being signed for 250k and then fallen out with the manager, Savage was an established premier league footballer before falling out of favour with Derby (and is now playing again). Anyinsah was the only one who didn't have any pedigree.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We could have a quite good midfield building up here. Jarrett and Livermore in the middle. Cox and McLeod down the wings. Birchall and Fraser as back up. Just need McLeod and Cox to get fit and consistent.

Problem with Livermore is in a about weeks time he will be suspended for 3 games.

Looking forward to seeing Jarrett just on the back of what he did to us when he played for Wigan at Withdean

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

He just needs a hug:thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Oh dear - two clubs, both claiming to own the same player.

Surely this can only end in tears.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Not sure if this has been posted yet but it is not confirmed according to Preston, Jarrett Contract Discussions | Preston North End | News | Latest | Latest | Jarrett Contract Discussions

Jarrett Contract Discussions
Posted on: Mon 26 Jan 2009

Midfielder Jason Jarrett is in discussions to have his contract at Deepdale terminated, however, he has not joined Brighton as reports suggest.

The player, who has made three subsititute appearances this term, is currently still contracted to PNE, but could depart on Monday as a free agent if a termination can be agreed.

The former Wigan man would have been out of contract in the summer, but is negotiating an early release that could then see him join up with another club in the transfer window, however, that has not taken place yet.

More news on this later on Monday.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Or some other club will come in for him at the last minute.:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here