Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So he didn’t play any at Brighton before he left but you expect us to believe he would have brought in Connolly and Alzate this season? Nah you’re making it up as you go along. I can only speak from experience of what he did at Brighton and I don’t think he trusted young players to play the negative “concede as few as possible by keeping everyone behind the ball and hope for a breakaway or two” tactics he showed in the PL for us.

Not often I agree with you re Hughton, but the bit in bold I do.
The facts speak for themselves regarding the U23s

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I answered that earlier, and suggested what I would have done.

Put them on the bench and bring them on.

Neither Alzate or White would have gone out on loan.

Alzate was playing in League One and White in League Two - yet you think they should have played a part in a PL team fighting relegation - sorry - I really don't get it.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Don’t know ... they didn’t get a chance.

Do you have evidence none of them were good enough ??

They were on loan in the lower leagues - Championship managers didn't think they were good enough - yet people on here think they should have played a part in a relegation battle with a PL team.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Alzate was playing in League One and White in League Two - yet you think they should have played a part in a PL team fighting relegation - sorry - I really don't get it.

Who knows ... don’t know unless you give them a chance.

Which Potter has

Do you have evidence to prove they weren’t good enough last year ?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
They were on loan in the lower leagues - Championship managers didn't think they were good enough - yet people on here think they should have played a part in a relegation battle with a PL team.

Leeds wanted White LAST SEASON !!!

So at least one manager did think White was good enough to play Champ football

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why not - and why does it bother you so ?

Bit rich you asking why it’s bothering someone else when you seem to spend half your free time boring everyone rigid with your constant defending of CH.

Look, the vast majority of us absolutely think he was fantastic for us........but about the same amount, crucially including our chairman and owner, think he was way too reluctant to blood Academy players. It was one of the reasons he was fired.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Who knows ... don’t know unless you give them a chance.

Which Potter has

Do you have evidence to prove they weren’t good enough last year ?

I will repeat again

Alzate was at Swindon - League Two

Connolly at Luton - League One

White was at Peterborough - League One

There wasn't a single Championship manager who felt they were good enough for the Championship

You would have a valid point if they were like White this season - at Leeds and clearly playing well - but they weren't - and there is zero evidence that they were capable of playing in the PL last season. As I pointed out before - Potter intended sending Connolly out on loan again this season - David Weir watched Connolly playing for the Irish U21s at the Toulon tournament and persuaded Potter to keep him at the club.

On top of that - both Alzate and Connolly spent months out injured in early 2019 - even if they were good enough they wouldn't have been able to play.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bit rich you asking why it’s bothering someone else when you seem to spend half your free time boring everyone rigid with your constant defending of CH.

Look, the vast majority of us absolutely think he was fantastic for us........but about the same amount, crucially including our chairman and owner, think he was way too reluctant to blood Academy players. It was one of the reasons he was fired.

Nail. On. Head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I will repeat again

Alzate was at Swindon - League Two

Connolly at Luton - League One

White was at Peterborough - League One

There wasn't a single Championship manager who felt they were good enough for the Championship

You would have a valid point if they were like White this season - at Leeds and clearly playing well - but they weren't - and there is zero evidence that they were capable of playing in the PL last season. As I pointed out before - Potter intended sending Connolly out on loan again this season - David Weir watched Connolly playing for the Irish U21s at the Toulon tournament and persuaded Potter to keep himat the club.

And I will repeat again

LEEDS WANTED WHITE LAST SEASON

Plus bearing in mind Connolly and Alzate spent Jan till end of the season injured.

What made them so much better in the off season that now they are capable of playing at this level ?

Plus I asked where is the evidence they weren’t good enough ? You don’t have any because there isn’t any

Last edited:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
And I will repeat again

LEEDS WANTED WHITE LAST SEASON

yet he ended up at Peterborough?

Plus bearing in mind Connolly and Alzate spent Jan till end of the season injured.
And Hughton should have played them even though they were injured ?

What made them so much better in the off season that now they are capable of playing at this level ?

A year older and a bit more maturity - it works wonders for kids.

If 18/19/20 year olds were capable of playing in the PL on a consistent basis - then a lot more clubs would be doing it - there are only 12 players of 19 years and under who have have started a game in the PL this season - and only 5 who play for clubs outside the top six big ones - that's out of 433 players who have played in the PL so far this season. Only Connolly, Aarons and McNeil who have played consistently - and all 3 are 19 years old.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
yet he ended up at Peterborough?

And Hughton should have played them even though they were injured ?

First yes, because CH wanted to keep him until Xmas because Burn was injured and couldn’t join till Jan

Secondly, what ? I didn’t say he should play them... I said how had they become better players when they were out injured.

You really are a tedious bore, just accept facts CH didn’t want to risk youth team players while at Brighton ... he might have before and he may well in the future but here he didn’t.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
First yes, because CH wanted to keep him until Xmas because Burn was injured and couldn’t join till Jan
So now you are saying that Hugton rated White good enough to keep as cover for Burn - please make your mind up

Secondly, what ? I didn’t say he should play them... I said how had they become better players when they were out injured.
They didn't - but they did get older and they did get more mature - and who knows, maybe the recuperation from injury helped them a lot in that department.

Seriously - people are dismissing how much more mature a kid can get from 18 to 19 - hell, even a small number of months can make a massive difference. Case in point - one 18 year old is playing for Southampton at the moment - Michael Obafemi - he is a talented Irish kid - yet the manager keeps complaining about his lack of maturity and professionalism after every game.

You really are a tedious bore, just accept facts CH didn’t want to risk youth team players while at Brighton ... he might have before and he may well in the future but here he didn’t.
and yet - you keep claiming that he should have played kids that were injured and/or immature who needed to go to the lower division to help them grow.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
So now you are saying that Hugton rated White good enough to keep as cover for Burn - please make your mind up.

I think you are either beyond stupid or a tedious troll

1. He kept Ben White to name a 25 man squad... I assume he didn’t actually rate him as he was the only member of the 25 never to make the bench.

2. Can you please point me to the place where I’ve said CH should play Connolly and Alzate ? My point has always been that I fail to see how Connolly could have improved from Jan till May as he was injured.

3. I notice that rather admit you were wrong about White being wanted you’ve decided to just omit that point as you now know you are wrong.

You seem to have the impression that I’m saying Alzate... White or Connolly should have been playing last season ..... I’ve not actually said that at any point ... my argument is no one knows if they are ready because CH never ever tried any of them and never ever tried ANY of the kids.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You seem to have the impression that I’m saying Alzate... White or Connolly should have been playing last season ..... I’ve not actually said that at any point ... my argument is no one knows if they are ready because CH never ever tried any of them and never ever tried ANY of the kids.

The fact that they weren't ready is demonstrated by the fact that they were on loan at L1 and L2 clubs - if you are ready for the PL you would be playing in the PL.

These days very few 18/19 year olds play in the PL - and those few that do mostly play the odd 10 minutes as a sub for one of the big clubs. Seriously - go and have a look at the stats on this - I listed them earlier. Dozens of kids are sent out on loan to the lower leagues get experience and a bit of maturity before they are given a shot. heck even some 22/23 year olds go on loan and then come back to make the PL team. Remember Potter didn't think Connolly was ready this summer until Weir persuaded him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here