Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
CH is reluctant to use young and new players...... it’s been clear and obvious to watch and also because of what players have said since CH departure.

What he has said consistently is that they have to be ready - not that he wouldn't play them - when he has young players that are good enough and are ready he has played them and the evidence is there to show it.

And in case you didn't notice it - he is not the only manager who has this view - excluding the top six teams there are only 3 managers who have played a player younger than Connolly this season - Everton (£25million), Southampton and Wolves (£17million). It is not the done thing in the PL - and it is a very big ask for any young player - there are many kids who have been destroyed by being played too young when they are not ready.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Aside from the fact that both were injured for months after January - both were loaned to League One clubs - yet you believe they were ready to play in the PL.

The season doesn't start in January, it starts in August. If they'd been part of the PL squad they may not have been loaned or injured. Sliding doors and all that.....

EDIT -actually despite any of that both are clearly better PL players than Locadia and Jahanbaksh

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
He didn't play young players for Brighton because they were too young and/or not good enough -

I will ask the question again - who should Hughton have played last season?

We are not just talking about last season, in Hughton's 4 and a half years in charge he gave just 1 minute of league football to a youth player. We cannot possibly know if they would have been good enough as he never gave them a chance to prove it. Sometimes you just have to take the risk and Hughton seemed to have been totally unwilling to do that.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
What he has said consistently is that they have to be ready - not that he wouldn't play them - when he has young players that are good enough and are ready he has played them and the evidence is there to show it.

And in case you didn't notice it - he is not the only manager who has this view - excluding the top six teams there are only 3 managers who have played a player younger than Connolly this season - Everton (£25million), Southampton and Wolves (£17million). It is not the done thing in the PL - and it is a very big ask for any young player - there are many kids who have been destroyed by being played too young when they are not ready.

Can SAY what he likes.

I’m more bothered about what he does !!! Which in regards to youth team players at Brighton has been nothing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We are not just talking about last season, in Hughton's 4 and a half years in charge he gave just 1 minute of league football to a youth player. We cannot possibly know if they would have been good enough as he never gave them a chance to prove it. Sometimes you just have to take the risk and Hughton seemed to have been totally unwilling to do that.

This too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
And furthermore, [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] if you don't think Connolly and Alzate were ready then that makes Potter a much better coach of indivdual young players than Hughton. QED.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Again - which young player in the past 4 1/2 years was good enough to start in the first team - if such a player exists then surely he must be playing for a PL or Championship team?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
And furthermore, [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] if you don't think Connolly and Alzate were ready then that makes Potter a much better coach of indivdual young players than Hughton. QED.

Jaysus - just because they weren't ready last season doesn't mean they are not ready this season - they are older and more mature and that makes a big difference to young footballers even if people on here think it is irrelevant.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Jaysus - just because they weren't ready last season doesn't mean they are not ready this season - they are older and more mature and that makes a big difference to young footballers even if people on here think it is irrelevant.

Both are full internationals. Under Hughton they’d have been offered to Barnsley for a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

indeed,

why do you bother mrs. chris' mum?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Let's try an easier one. I'm sure that you'll have no concern that answering this one will cause people on this board to believe you have an agenda.

Do you support Crystal Palace?

(Bare in mind that, if the answer is 'No', only saying 'No' will be accepted by the good people of NSC as confirmation. Any political answer, no matter how many paragraphs, will provide an answer as clear as the one that Michael Howard gave when he didn't say that he didn't threaten to overrule him.

:tumble:

Its a very simple question.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At Newcastle the following players played for Hughton

Andy Carroll (20)
Patrick van Aanholt (19)
Tamás Kádár (19)
Ben Tozer (19)
Ryan Donaldson (18)
Kazenga LuaLua (18)
Nile Ranger (18)
James Tavernier (18)
Haris Vučkić (17)

Some played a little - some played a lot.

At Birmingham he had a lot less to work with - but still used

Andros Townsend (20) on loan from Spurs
Jordon Mutch (19)
Nathan Redmond (17)

At Norwich he had nothing to work with in terms of youth players - he used

Harry Kane (19) - on loan from Spurs (but 19 year olds shouldn't go out on loan)
Josh Murphy (17)
And he bought Nathan Redmond from Birmingham

So it is factually incorrect to say that Hughton will not play young players - he will play them if they are good enough and if they are ready.

So he didn’t play any at Brighton before he left but you expect us to believe he would have brought in Connolly and Alzate this season? Nah you’re making it up as you go along. I can only speak from experience of what he did at Brighton and I don’t think he trusted young players to play the negative “concede as few as possible by keeping everyone behind the ball and hope for a breakaway or two” tactics he showed in the PL for us.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
So he didn’t play any at Brighton before he left but you expect us to believe he would have brought in Connolly and Alzate this season? Nah you’re making it up as you go along. I can only speak from experience of what he did at Brighton and I don’t think he trusted young players to play the negative “concede as few as possible by keeping everyone behind the ball and hope for a breakaway or two” tactics he showed in the PL for us.

I am not making up anything - I have been consistent in arguing the point and produced evidence to back it up.

No manager in the PL brings young players in before they are ready (and know what they are supposed to do). The big 6 usually have the space to bring the kids on as a sub for a few minutes at the end of a game they are winning comfortably to give them some experience - but as I have shown - this season there are only 3 managers outside the top six who have used a player younger than Connolly - and of the 16 players younger than Connolly who have played this season in the PL - Connolly is the only one that has played consistently when available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here