Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Alzate was playing in League One and White in League Two - yet you think they should have played a part in a PL team fighting relegation - sorry - I really don't get it.

I said put them on the bench.
We were only fighting relegation in the last 2 months, and were comfortable for the first part of the season until Christmas, so plenty of opportunity for the odd 15 minutes.

Edit - but then you’ll win nothing with kids [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I said put them on the bench.
We were only fighting relegation in the last 2 months, and were comfortable for the first part of the season until Christmas, so plenty of opportunity for the odd 15 minutes.

Again - look at the stats - very few players of that age get the 'odd 15 minutes' outside of the top six - it just is not done. They are shipped out on loan instead to get experience.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The fact that they weren't ready is demonstrated by the fact that they were on loan at L1 and L2 clubs - if you are ready for the PL you would be playing in the PL.

These days very few 18/19 year olds play in the PL - and those few that do mostly play the odd 10 minutes as a sub for one of the big clubs. Seriously - go and have a look at the stats on this - I listed them earlier. Dozens of kids are sent out on loan to the lower leagues get experience and a bit of maturity before they are given a shot. heck even some 22/23 year olds go on loan and then come back to make the PL team. Remember Potter didn't think Connolly was ready this summer until Weir persuaded him.

The first part I think is subjective.... but that’s football.

The second part about players being ready I don’t disagree with, my point is about CH not even trying youth team players. He has never looked to try and use them while at Brighton and they weren’t part of the first team training until Potter arrived.

The reason that the youth players didn’t feature under CH is because he was about discipline and rigidity and being difficult to break down and he put a massive emphasis on what we do without the ball. Potter has a far more flexible and creative attitude to how we set up and that suits the young players that have come in.

I don’t think Alzate would have been a CH player, and neither would Connolly or White

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Again - look at the stats - very few players of that age get the 'odd 15 minutes' outside of the top six - it just is not done. They are shipped out on loan instead to get experience.

Doesn’t mean it’s right.

If they’re good enough they’re old enough, seems to have worked this season with Connolly particularly.

Every level you go up the pace changes, other than physicality you learn very little in L1 and L2 IMO, though it remains a useful stepping stone.

For White particularly he may have benefited from gradual introduction, via substitute role, as Peterborough was a waste of time, then he wouldn’t have gone to Leeds this season (and arguably we may not have needed Webster).

All opinions.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The first part I think is subjective.... but that’s football.
Agreed

The second part about players being ready I don’t disagree with, my point is about CH not even trying youth team players. He has never looked to try and use them while at Brighton and they weren’t part of the first team training until Potter arrived.
I don't think that is accurate

The reason that the youth players didn’t feature under CH is because he was about discipline and rigidity and being difficult to break down and he put a massive emphasis on what we do without the ball. Potter has a far more flexible and creative attitude to how we set up and that suits the young players that have come in.
Like all managers Hughton wanted the players he picked to know their role - while Potter might be a bit looser on that I am sure he still wants them to do certain things - there are swings and roundabouts here - Webster might be a better footballer than Duffy - but he is not necessarily a better defender.

I don’t think Alzate would have been a CH player, and neither would Connolly or White
Can't talk about the other two - but Hughton was singing the high praises for Connolly as far back as the Toulon tournament on the Irish media and has continued to do so since.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think the noises that have come from the club since CH departure certainly indicate that they are enjoying their football a lot more now under Potter.

Ali J, Stephens, Propper and the interesting comments from Trossard about he wouldn’t have signed if CH was still the manager are enough for me to believe we are in a better place now.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
If they’re good enough they’re old enough, seems to have worked this season with Connolly particularly.

Football has changed - that really does not apply anymore - it is unusual now for any player to be a first team regular before their 20s - sometimes into their mid-20s. Connolly has come on leaps and bounds over the past year from what I have seen with the underage teams with Ireland - it was particularly noticeable at Toulon - and I watched all the games - and he had another step up from the start of the season. He has a lot of potential but he is far from the finished article and against Liverpool he allowed himself to be repeatedly shoved off the ball.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I think the noises that have come from the club since CH departure certainly indicate that they are enjoying their football a lot more now under Potter.

Ali J, Stephens, Propper and the interesting comments from Trossard about he wouldn’t have signed if CH was still the manager are enough for me to believe we are in a better place now.

Not surprised with that - players enjoy passing the ball around - doesn't always keep you from getting relegated - and not being negative in saying that - Potter has done well but Brighton are 16th and need to pick up a couple of points from the next couple of games.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not surprised with that - players enjoy passing the ball around - doesn't always keep you from getting relegated - and not being negative in saying that - Potter has done well but Brighton are 16th and need to pick up a couple of points from the next couple of games.

Well they prefer it to defending for 90 mins and losing yeah

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Football has changed - that really does not apply anymore - it is unusual now for any player to be a first team regular before their 20s - sometimes into their mid-20s. Connolly has come on leaps and bounds over the past year from what I have seen with the underage teams with Ireland - it was particularly noticeable at Toulon - and I watched all the games - and he had another step up from the start of the season. He has a lot of potential but he is far from the finished article and against Liverpool he allowed himself to be repeatedly shoved off the ball.

But he is gaining experience at the highest level, and that cannot be replicated elsewhere.

Of course he is learning, but that is how you learn, playing against the European champions and one of the best CBs in the world.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
But he is gaining experience at the highest level, and that cannot be replicated elsewhere.

Of course he is learning, but that is how you learn, playing against the European champions and one of the best CBs in the world.

Yep - and appears mature enough to learn from it now while also contributing to the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So now you are saying that Hugton rated White good enough to keep as cover for Burn - please make your mind up.

Yep, cover for Burn who also wasn’t used by CH in the league. Is it so hard to grasp that CH had no intention of playing either Burn or White unless he had to. Maybe that’s what you call giving players a chance in your alternative CH world :shrug:

We weren’t in a relegation battle at the beginning of the season, although we knew one would probably come. Exactly the same as this season but Potter gave game time to players who took their chance. I can see zero evidence from what I saw with my own eyes week in week out that CH would have done any differently this season. He did NOT give youth players game time, hell he hardly gave some of the squad game time unless forced to.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe wait until the end of the season and then see where the team ends up? :shrug:

Given the fact everything fell of a cliff from Feb/March time (barring the cup run), it's a bit early to be claiming there's been a huge mistake in changing the manager. I'm not expecting a repeat of that slide, put it that way...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Maybe wait until the end of the season and then see where the team ends up? :shrug:

Given the fact everything fell of a cliff from Feb/March time (barring the cup run), it's a bit early to be claiming there's been a huge mistake in changing the manager. I'm not expecting a repeat of that slide, put it that way...

I'd say the "huge mistake" is a very vocal minority.

We're playing better football and look a much more positive side, we're broadly in the same place we were in terms of points and just need to avoid a significant post Christmas poor results run, what's not to like?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

We're playing better football and look a much more positive side, we're broadly in the same place we were in terms of points and just need to avoid a significant post Christmas poor results run, what's not to like?

Absolutely. And let's not forget we're in the middle of a very tough run of matches at the moment, which makes for easy pickings for the vocal minority you mention. I'd suggest it's a tough run of matches that we've handled far better (without the points to show for it) than we would have under CH last season. I actually think we're now playing well enough that the top managers are coming into our games far more worried about us doing them some damage than they would have tail end of last season.

I imagine Arsenal are expecting a very difficult game on Thursday, and Wolves won't be looking forward to visiting on the weekend.

I can see us coming out of the next 4 matches with 10 points if we play all four at or above our average performance level this season - especially if we don't conceded stupid red cards when dominating.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Which is why I believe Chris slipped up by not utilising a place on the bench for White and Alzate last season.

How many people could have said last season they they thought they were ready for the step up? I certainly didn't. We were looking more towards players like Sanders or Gyökeres to be more involved.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Exactly. As I've pointed out before, this football is exactly what people were told to expect when Potter arrived. He's not adopting the 'never concede' mentality that Hughton had, he's playing a completely different style that, by its very nature, is going to leave gaps on the pitch and cause goals against.

I think some people will just NEVER be happy...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. As I've pointed out before, this football is exactly what people were told to expect when Potter arrived. He's not adopting the 'never concede' mentality that Hughton had, he's playing a completely different style that, by its very nature, is going to leave gaps on the pitch and cause goals against.

I think some people will just NEVER be happy...

True I came away from our few victories last season thinking “**** me, we got away with that today” for the majority. Now I’m coming away thinking” “**** me, we could have got something out of that” when we lose :smile:

I’m happy again this season :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here