Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
How many people could have said last season they they thought they were ready for the step up? I certainly didn't. We were looking more towards players like Sanders or Gyökeres to be more involved.

You’d be surprised.

Prior to this season I’d watched the U23s for the last three seasons, and whilst White was on loan at Newport for one of those, it was clear he was showing more than just promise.

He marked Kane out of the game for Newport, so that was another positive.

With Alzate, he always had good balance, made good decisions and played with his head up all the time.

IMO either him or White would have benefited from being on the bench last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
The numbers don't lie, how we have offered Potter a 6 year contract is beyond me. Shocking!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7730797/Here-Premier-League-getting-season.html

Brighton (NO CHANGE)

Last season: 12th, This season: 12th

Even with a change in management, Brighton are a model of consistency in the top flight that many of their rivals could learn from.

Mirroring their points total and position from 12 months ago, Graham Potter - who signed a new deal until 2025 on Tuesday - has built on the foundations laid by his predecessor Chris Hughton and the Seagulls have taken flight.

If we are splitting hairs, the key difference between then and now is that Potter's Brighton have scored one more goal (15) than the side that took to the field 12 months ago.

With trips to Liverpool and Arsenal to come, though, things could soon slip. If they are to keep pace with 2018-19, Potter's players need maximum returns from Anfield and the Emirates Stadium.

No pressure, then.​

when you consider how Chris managed us into the Premiership and kept us there now learns that his successor has been rewarded for achieving an equal league position, we are now hovering over the relegation area and would have to pay him a huge sum to sack him,the team does play a more interesting style of football however Chris has the experience to realise that teams in the top half of the league would take advantage

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
when you consider how Chris managed us into the Premiership and kept us there now learns that his successor has been rewarded for achieving an equal league position, we are now hovering over the relegation area and would have to pay him a huge sum to sack him,the team does play a more interesting style of football however Chris has the experience to realise that teams in the top half of the league would take advantage

Another Palace troll. Fortunately one whose grasp of the English language gives him away instantly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Blimey, is the season over already?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
You’d be surprised.

Prior to this season I’d watched the U23s for the last three seasons, and whilst White was on loan at Newport for one of those, it was clear he was showing more than just promise.

He marked Kane out of the game for Newport, so that was another positive.

With Alzate, he always had good balance, made good decisions and played with his head up all the time.

IMO either him or White would have benefited from being on the bench last season.
This nonsense really needs to be called out -

To start with the claims on here were that Hughton should have played the kids because if he had then the team would not have been in the relegation battle they faced and the team would have been playing better - this is patent nonsense because these players were injured (Alzate and Connolly) anyway and couldn't have played - and when the kids did play they were down two divisions.

Now we get to - Alzate and White would have benefited from 'being on the bench' - to start with Alzate could sit on the bench because he spent the last 4/5 months of the season out injured - and even if he wasn't - himself and White would have got zero experience sitting on the bench - unlike the experience that White got in League One which seems to have benefited him as he is now playing in the Championship. If you are that Hughton should have had White sitting on the bench why are you not complaining about Potter shifting him off to Leeds instead of 'being on the bench' this season.

This really is clutching at straws - there has not been one single youth player who would have made a difference to what happened last season or the season before - the PL no longer is a place where young players get experience - almost all of them are sent out on loan to lower league clubs (or clubs in Europe). There are currently 277 players from PL clubs out on loan - most of these are players under 22 years of age - and guess what - that promoter of young talent Graham Potter has the fourth highest number of players sent out on loan in the PL (clearly not enough spots on the bench for them).

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

To start with the claims on here were that Hughton should have played the kids because if he had then the team would not have been in the relegation battle they faced and the team would have been playing better - this is patent nonsense because these players were injured (Alzate and Connolly) anyway and couldn't have played - and when the kids did play they were down two divisions.

Now we get to - Alzate and White would have benefited from 'being on the bench' - to start with Alzate could sit on the bench because he spent the last 4/5 months of the season out injured - and even if he wasn't - himself and White would have got zero experience sitting on the bench - unlike the experience that White got in League One which seems to have benefited him as he is now playing in the Championship. If you are that Hughton should have had White sitting on the bench why are you not complaining about Potter shifting him off to Leeds instead of 'being on the bench' this season.

This really is clutching at straws - there has not been one single youth player who would have made a difference to what happened last season or the season before - the PL no longer is a place where young players get experience - almost all of them are sent out on loan to lower league clubs (or clubs in Europe). There are currently 277 players from PL clubs out on loan - most of these are players under 22 years of age - and guess what - that promoter of young talent Graham Potter has the fourth highest number of players sent out on loan in the PL (clearly not enough spots on the bench for them).

Feck me another book.
Nobody is interested in a single word you spout.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Completely missing the point.

Please read my points in this discussion.

You simply cannot hide behind Alzate being injured as he wouldn’t have been out on loan in the first place!

Sorry, but I tried to have a discussion with you, but apparently it is pointless, as having defeated your own argument - see Connolly and experience, you have gone back to ‘making a difference’, which neither of us will ever know, because they weren’t ever given the opportunity!!

I’m afraid I can’t be bothered....... apologies if that is rude, but the one thing it isn’t is “nonsense”.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Completely missing the point.

Please read my points in this discussion.

You simply cannot hide behind Alzate being injured as he wouldn’t have been out on loan in the first place!

Sorry, but I tried to have a discussion with you, but apparently it is pointless, as having defeated your own argument - see Connolly and experience, you have gone back to ‘making a difference’, which neither of us will ever know, because they weren’t ever given the opportunity!!

I’m afraid I can’t be bothered....... apologies if that is rude, but the one thing it isn’t is “nonsense”.

Good luck.

So no chance of you explaining how Alzate and White would get experience sitting on the bench for the season ?

And your points don't make sense - you are making them in the abstract - not relating them to the reality as it existed / exists

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I will comment as it's my NSC
Verbose trolls like you are not wanted in my opinion.
You bring nothing,you add nothing,you are nothing.

“There is no always," I say. "Nothing persists forever."
"Nothingness persists," she says. She is testing me.
"No. So long as anything exists, nothingness is impossible. In fact, it's nothingness that cannot persist. Nothingness gives way to somethingness. The nothingness that preceded the Big Bang was obliterated. Nothing became something.”

― Michael Grant, Eve & Adam

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
“There is no always," I say. "Nothing persists forever."
"Nothingness persists," she says. She is testing me.
"No. So long as anything exists, nothingness is impossible. In fact, it's nothingness that cannot persist. Nothingness gives way to somethingness. The nothingness that preceded the Big Bang was obliterated. Nothing became something.”

― Michael Grant, Eve & Adam

Unfortunately you appear to be not well.
Seek help before it's too late.
The Mods should have a word - will not happen tho.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Ok. I'll call out your nonsense as gently as I can.

Despite your foot stamping, wailing defence of CH he isn't coming back. The guy who fished hundreds of millions of pounds out of his pocket to build our ground, elite training centre and investment in players decided that CH was not the person to take the club forward. He took what must have been a very difficult decision to sack CH and has recruited a new, young manager with totally different ideas on how the game should be played.

I'm sure that Mr Bloom, as a lifelong supporter of our club, was as sick of watching CH's negative, boring football as most of us.

I have respect for what CH achieved with the club but he didn't demonstrate that he had a different way of playing other than abject negativity (as the Norwich fans did warn us). CH was a really good Championship manager - but everybody has a ceiling.

I am relieved and enthused that CH went. Since his departure I have been looking forward to games again. Too often I was thinking "oh **** I've got to go to football today". Now I'm looking forward to watching exciting, entertaining football again.

Potter's brand of football and his willingness to blood the young players is refreshing. I love it. And I feel sorry for anybody who can't see that we are better now.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Unfortunately you appear to be not well.
Seek help before it's too late.
The Mods should have a word - will not happen tho.

You appear to have said "nothing" but that is only in appearance. It depends on how I receive it and I receive it as nothing or maybe something which in turn is obvious.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Despite your foot stamping, wailing defence of CH he isn't coming back. The guy who fished hundreds of millions of pounds out of his pocket to build our ground, elite training centre and investment in players decided that CH was not the person to take the club forward. He took what must have been a very difficult decision to sack CH and has recruited a new, young manager with totally different ideas on how the game should be played.

I'm sure that Mr Bloom, as a lifelong supporter of our club, was as sick of watching CH's negative, boring football as most of us.

I have respect for what CH achieved with the club but he didn't demonstrate that he had a different way of playing other than abject negativity (as the Norwich fans did warn us). CH was a really good Championship manager - but everybody has a ceiling.

I am relieved and enthused that CH went. Since his departure I have been looking forward to games again. Too often I was thinking "oh **** I've got to go to football today". Now I'm looking forward to watching exciting, entertaining football again.

Potter's brand of football and his willingness to blood the young players is refreshing. I love it. And I feel sorry for anybody who can't see that we are better now.

Pretty much what Barber said during a Radio interview this morning.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Pretty much what Barber said during a Radio interview this morning.

I thought Paul Barber's interview was very open and honest. I thought it was good. There are two lines or so in that interview that no one has ever even picked up in that interview. Not a morcel of it . I think it is the most interesting part of the whole interview but no one has ever run with it.

I have always wanted to run with it but I would have been shot down with if I did but I commend Paul for stating it

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Despite your foot stamping, wailing defence of CH he isn't coming back.
Who said he was -

The guy who fished hundreds of millions of pounds out of his pocket to build our ground, elite training centre and investment in players decided that CH was not the person to take the club forward. He took what must have been a very difficult decision to sack CH and has recruited a new, young manager with totally different ideas on how the game should be played.

that is Bloom's prerogative - and nobody is disputing this.

Hughton did the best he could with the resources he had - and he had less resources at Norwich than he did at Brighton. He is an under-rated manager and has managed successfully in the PL for a lot longer than most managers who are given a job in this league. Managing for 5 seasons and never being relegated was a remarkable job given the resources that he had at his disposal

Brighton most definitely have been playing a better brand of football this season - and it is enjoyable to watch (and I have enjoyed it) - he has managed it with better players than Hughton had available and he deserves credit for what he has done to date. But he is 14 games into his first season - there is a long way to go - hopefully it will continue - but I suspect there will be a few sticky patches along the way - we will have to wait and see how the team deals with them.

However - I must call you out on the willingness to blood the young players is refreshing bit - he has used two young players - neither of whom were in a position to feature last season - and he has sent more players out on loan than 16 of the 20 clubs in the PL. I am actually surprised that Molumby is out at Millwall - I would have thought that he was exactly the type of footballer that Potter would want in his team - and he has been very impressive for Millwall this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here