Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will be interesting to compare where we are after playing everyone once ( and removing the out of sequence 2nd Spurs game for the sake of the comparison ).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Will be interesting to compare where we are after playing everyone once ( and removing the out of sequence 2nd Spurs game for the sake of the comparison ).

Think we'll have had more 'big team' away games in the first half this season though ? I'm more interested in an end of season comparison. Still 100% convinced we'll get many more points in the second half this season than we did last season (and even if we don't, it'll be more fun watching us try)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Think we'll have had more 'big team' away games in the first half this season though ? I'm more interested in an end of season comparison. Still 100% convinced we'll get many more points in the second half this season than we did last season (and even if we don't, it'll be more fun watching us try)

The only potential gremlin is that we only have the following 5 'non-big-6' games left at home : Bournemouth, Villa, Watford, Palace, Newcastle.

We'll need to get as big a points haul from those 5 games as possible...

...which means 'Not being at home to Mr Cock-Up' AGAIN against Bournemouth for a start.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The only potential gremlin is that we only have the following 5 'non-big-6' games left at home : Bournemouth, Villa, Watford, Palace, Newcastle.

...which means 'Not being at home to Mr Cock-Up' AGAIN against Bournemouth for a start.
No pressure then.......[emoji33]

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

While that's true, we're MUCH better away this season. 4 points and two of the performances of the season in our last two away games - then a shit one at home. Under Potter's style we should pick up a lot more points away in the second half of this season than we did in the second half of the last one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are no better results wise, granted but I have enjoyed every performance win lose or draw apart from Saturday’s absolute shambles. CH would have won on Saturday :shrug:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
We are no better results wise, granted but I have enjoyed every performance win lose or draw apart from Saturday’s absolute shambles. CH would have won on Saturday :shrug:
Agree totally. Was such a let down compared to what we expected. We all knew it would be tough, but so surprised we barely laid a glove on them, considering our recent performances. Sure it's just a one off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree totally. Was such a let down compared to what we expected. We all knew it would be tough, but so surprised we barely laid a glove on them, considering our recent performances. Sure it's just a one off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I went to Saturday’s match with the knowledge that Sheff Utd hadn’t lost away for the best part of a year, are flying near the top of the PL and given every opponent problems.

Why were Brighton going to be the one club to better them? It was only through blue tinted specs that “we’re amazing at home” that gave false hope.

Somehow, Wilder is doing a better job (so far) than either the Hughton or Potter approach, on a squad costing a fraction of ours. Incredible.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I went to Saturday’s match with the knowledge that Sheff Utd hadn’t lost away for the best part of a year, are flying near the top of the PL and given every opponent problems.

Why were Brighton going to be the one club to better them? It was only through blue tinted specs that “we’re amazing at home” that gave false hope.

Somehow, Wilder is doing a better job (so far) than either the Hughton or Potter approach, on a squad costing a fraction of ours. Incredible.

Agree 100%

If there's a crumb of comfort on offer for the Premier League then it's this; I'm going to make a bold prediction that Sheffield Utd will be next season's Huddersfield. By next season all the good PL managers will have worked out a tactic for them and they do not have the money to change. If they get in to Europe it will stretch their squad even more thinly, even more quickly. But fair play to Wilder this season. He is my manager of 2019 by a country mile. Yes, ahead of Klopp or Pep.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Agree 100%

If there's a crumb of comfort on offer for the Premier League then it's this; I'm going to make a bold prediction that Sheffield Utd will be next season's Huddersfield. By next season all the good PL managers will have worked out a tactic for them and they do not have the money to change. If they get in to Europe it will stretch their squad even more thinly, even more quickly. But fair play to Wilder this season. He is my manager of 2019 by a country mile. Yes, ahead of Klopp or Pep.

Yes, I would agree with this. It will take a year and then things may well change. I have been expecting them to slide already, but as you rightly state -good luck to them, as so far they have certainly surprised many. On saturday, I did not think that they were really great shakes, just that we were so inexplicably bad. Yes, one can say that their defence was well drilled, and it was, but so many of our misplaced passes were unenforced errors.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not being relegated is Light Years away from managing successfully in the PL for 5 years. I was happy that we didn't get relegated in our first PL season. We didn't get relegated last season only because Cardiff were slightly worse than us. That is not success

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Why do people keep regurgitating this nonsense that we only stayed up because we were lucky Cardiff were worse than us, is that the same as saying Manchester City were lucky and they only won the league because Liverpool weren't quite as good as them!

The league is played over 36 games, Cardiff weren't good enough to amass more than us and we were dire from Christmas onwards!!!

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Why do people keep regurgitating this nonsense that we only stayed up because we were lucky Cardiff were worse than us, is that the same as saying Manchester City were lucky and they only one the league because Liverpool weren't quite as good as them!

The league is played over 36 games, Cardiff weren't good enough to amass more than us and we were dire from Christmas onwards!!!

self determination

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why do people keep regurgitating this nonsense that we only stayed up because we were lucky Cardiff were worse than us, is that the same as saying Manchester City were lucky and they only one the league because Liverpool weren't quite as good as them!

This.

Warnock was such a dickhead on that, influenced by the last few games. For the rest of the season, overall they were worse than us and deserved to go down.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
so why do you think he kept getting the old heave ho?

you really want to dig this one back out after nearly a month - fair enough.

Mike Ashley has sacked Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer, John Carver, Steve McClaren and Rafa Benitez, along with Hughton, since 2007. Newcastle were 9th when Hughton was sacked - Ashley stated that he wanted a 'high-profile' manager and he promptly appointed Alan Pardew - Newcastle finished 12th. Since then they have been relegated twice and have only finished higher than 9th once (the season following the sacking of Hughton).

At Norwich Hughton was given very little money - he finished 11th in his first season and was sacked when Norwich were 5 points above relegation with 5 games to go. Norwich finished the season with 1D and 4L - in the 12 games before he was sacked Norwich had won 3, drawn 3 and lost 6 - getting 12 points. The Norwich board panicked and the club got relegated.

At Brighton Hughton was working with a bottom 3 budget and kept the club in the PL for two seasons in a row - very few managers have succeeded in doing this with a promoted team. As I have pointed out before - last season Southampton finished just above Brighton - with 11 players earning more than the highest paid player in the Brighton squad.

Hughton has done a remarkable job at every club he has managed (and been a coach) - he is highly respected and most people in football recognise the job he has done with all of the teams he has worked with. Very few managers have had the success he has had in the PL - and keeping a promoted club in the PL is a success. He has managed for longer in the PL than most managers who have been there - particularly over the past 10 years where there are only a small number of managers who have managed for longer in the PL.

Hughton has left Brighton - I suggest that it is appropriate to acknowledge and respect what Hughton achieved at the club - and then look forward to the future.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

Mike Ashley has sacked Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer, John Carver, Steve McClaren and Rafa Benitez, along with Hughton, since 2007. Newcastle were 9th when Hughton was sacked - Ashley stated that he wanted a 'high-profile' manager and he promptly appointed Alan Pardew - Newcastle finished 12th. Since then they have been relegated twice and have only finished higher than 9th once (the season following the sacking of Hughton).

At Norwich Hughton was given very little money - he finished 11th in his first season and was sacked when Norwich were 5 points above relegation with 5 games to go. Norwich finished the season with 1D and 4L - in the 12 games before he was sacked Norwich had won 3, drawn 3 and lost 6 - getting 12 points. The Norwich board panicked and the club got relegated.

At Brighton Hughton was working with a bottom 3 budget and kept the club in the PL for two seasons in a row - very few managers have succeeded in doing this with a promoted team. As I have pointed out before - last season Southampton finished just above Brighton - with 11 players earning more than the highest paid player in the Brighton squad.

Hughton has done a remarkable job at every club he has managed (and been a coach) - he is highly respected and most people in football recognise the job he has done with all of the teams he has worked with. Very few managers have had the success he has had in the PL - and keeping a promoted club in the PL is a success. He has managed for longer in the PL than most managers who have been there - particularly over the past 10 years where there are only a small number of managers who have managed for longer in the PL.

Hughton has left Brighton - I suggest that it is appropriate to acknowledge and respect what Hughton achieved at the club - and then look forward to the future.

blimey! that's a lot of words!

so why do think he keeps getting sacked?

is it a personality flaw do you think?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Agree 100%

Wilder, Klopp & Pep

is that a law firm or the band that played during my wedding?

I wish they hadn't played during my wedding. They were louder than the magistrate.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

He would have been absolutely calm about it except for pumping a fist during the goal celebrations.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Oh, for goodness sake, when will people ever learn, coming on here with well thought out posts, with evidence to back their arguments. When in reality we all know that Hughton was sacked because he smells!*

* not really, but similar to the sort of infantile response you got...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here