Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Again - over the past two seasons which of the young players were capable of making an impact on the pitch in the PL?

Connolly and Alzate could have been capable of stepping up last season, we will never know because Hughton never gave them a chance. There is no way Connolly's 24 mins of playing time at Luton in anyway prepared him for stepping up to the PL.

Sometimes a manager just has to take a chance on a young player and see what happens, Hughton never did that.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Well there must have been some serious magical transformation this summer then as both now look the part in the regular first team despite by your own admission not playing much last season.

They are older - more mature - and sensibly from Potter - they are being eased into the team.

At 19/20/21 a few months can make a massive difference for a young footballer. Liverpool defenders were repeatedly able to push Connolly off the ball yesterday - it takes time for players to mature (and I want Connolly banging in goals every week so McCarthy plays him against Slovakia).

Case in point - Troy Parrott has been knocking in goals for fun for Spurs and Ireland teams this season (something like 12/13 goals in about 8 games). The guy is arguably having a better season than Connolly - physically he appears stronger - he has shown that with the Irish U21s. He made his full international debut for Ireland a couple of weeks ago. But he is not mature enough and it would be a big mistake to rush him. Managers repeatedly point this out - all the time and that is why he is playing in the youths and U23 Spurs teams.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
They are older - more mature - and sensibly from Potter - they are being eased into the team.

At 19/20/21 a few months can make a massive difference for a young footballer. Liverpool defenders were repeatedly able to push Connolly off the ball yesterday - it takes time for players to mature (and I want Connolly banging in goals every week so McCarthy plays him against Slovakia).

Case in point - Troy Parrott has been knocking in goals for fun for Spurs and Ireland teams this season (something like 12/13 goals in about 8 games). The guy is arguably having a better season than Connolly - physically he appears stronger - he has shown that with the Irish U21s. He made his full international debut for Ireland a couple of weeks ago. But he is not mature enough and it would be a big mistake to rush him. Managers repeatedly point this out - all the time and that is why he is playing in the youths and U23 Spurs teams.

How convenient yes an astonishing 6 month growth and maturity spurt that’s it! You are deluded. We are talking about 6months and they were strong enough to be playing men’s football on loan so again what is your point? As others have pointed out but you are too ignorant to acknowledge the difference is we have a manager prepared to risk his reputation on younger players. I would also hardly call the amount of minutes being given to the two easing them in.

This idea CH would have been doing the same is complete nonsense and shows what little understanding you have of him in his time as Brighton manager.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
How convenient yes an astonishing 6 month growth and maturity spurt that’s it! You are deluded. We are talking about 6months and they were strong enough to be playing men’s football on loan so again what is your point? As others have pointed out but you are too ignorant to acknowledge the difference is we have a manager prepared to risk his reputation on younger players. I would also hardly call the amount of minutes being given to the two easing them in.

This idea CH would have been doing the same is complete nonsense and shows what little understanding you have of him in his time as Brighton manager.

If you take Connolly's age at the beginning of last season - there are currently 4 players younger than this who have played in the PL this season

Mason Greenwood - 10 subs (129mins) - Man Utd
Bukayo Saka - 4 starts - 3 subs - Arsenal
Gabriel Martinelli - 6 subs (83mins) - Arsenal
James Garner - 1 sub (8mins) - Man Utd

Two of the richest clubs in England have used 4 players aged 18 this season (out of the dozens of kids they have on their books).

If you take Connolly's age today you can add -

Eric García - 1 sub (27mins) - Man City
Callum Hudson-Odoi - 2 starts - 5 subs - Chelsea
Oliver Skipp - 2 subs (2mins) - Spurs
Angel Gomes - 1 sub (9mins) - Man Utd
Michael Obafemi - 6 subs (181mins) - Southampton (and much maligned on here when I brought his name up)
Brandon Williams - 2 starts - 2 subs - Man Utd
Phil Foden - 6 subs (73 mins) - Man City
Pedro Neto (cost £17million) - 7 subs (143mins) - Wolves
Moise Kean (cost £25million) - 2 starts - 7 subs - Everton (and not played in the last 4 with rumours he wants out of Everton)
Ryan Sessegnon (cost £25million) - 1 sub (1min) - Spurs (he has been injured so likely would have played more)
Matthew Longstaff - 3 starts - Newcastle (not played in last 4)
Morgan Gibbs-White - 1 start - 2 subs - Wolves

Arron Connolly - 6 starts - 4 subs - Brighton

Do you notice a pattern ?

So far 433 players have played in the PL this season - 16 of them younger than Aaron Connolly - and of those 16, most are making limited sub appearances - most are with big teams who can afford to give them a few minutes at the end of a game they are winning comfortably to give them experience - indeed Connolly is the only one to have played consistently since the start of the season. He wasn't ready last season - and yes - a few months can make a massive difference at that age.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you take Connolly's age at the beginning of last season - there are currently 4 players younger than this who have played in the PL this season

Two of the richest clubs in England have used 4 players aged 18 this season (out of the dozens of kids they have on their books).

Michael Obafemi - 6 subs (181mins) - Southampton (and much maligned on here when I brought his name up)
Moise Kean (cost £25million) - 2 starts - 7 subs - Everton (and not played in the last 4 with rumours he wants out of Everton)
Ryan Sessegnon (cost £25million) - 1 sub (1min) - Spurs (he has been injured so likely would have played more)

So far 433 players have played in the PL this season - 16 of them younger than Aaron Connolly - and of those 16, most are making limited sub appearances - most are with big teams who can afford to give them a few minutes at the end of a game they are winning comfortably to give them experience - indeed Connolly is the only one to have played consistently since the start of the season. He wasn't ready last season - and yes - a few months can make a massive difference at that age.

So in his time here how many youth players did CH promote to the first team squad who got more than 30 mins in our first team? If he’d had any faith in youth, as you seem to suggest he would have, he’d have played a few. If he’d stayed on are you seriously suggesting he’d have integrated Connolly and Alzate this season? He had a terrible record of bringing through youth players at the Albion. I suggest it’s one of the reasons he got the sack, seeing how much Bloom has invested in youth.

Can I ask you not to make your reply a missive because I already know the answer :smile:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
So in his time here how many youth players did CH promote to the first team squad who got more than 30 mins in our first team? If he’d had any faith in youth, as you seem to suggest he would have, he’d have played a few. If he’d stayed on are you seriously suggesting he’d have integrated Connolly and Alzate this season? He had a terrible record of bringing through youth players at the Albion. I suggest it’s one of the reasons he got the sack, seeing how much Bloom has invested in youth.

Can I ask you not to make your reply a missive because I already know the answer :smile:

Can you tell me which of the youth players were capable of playing in the PL over the past two seasons?

It is okay to say 'Hughton should have promoted the youth players' - the question is which ones?

This season we see Connolly and Alzate - both of which in my view were not capable of contributing last season - so give us a list

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can you tell me which of the youth players were capable of playing in the PL over the past two seasons?

It is okay to say 'Hughton should have promoted the youth players' - the question is which ones?

This season we see Connolly and Alzate - both of which in my view were not capable of contributing last season - so give us a list

If he’d stayed we wouldn’t have had a clue that Alzate and Connolly were up to it because he would have sent them out on loan again. His record suggests that as he never showed ANY faith in youth whilst he was here!

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
If he’d stayed we wouldn’t have had a clue that Alzate and Connolly were up to it because he would have sent them out on loan again. His record suggests that as he never showed ANY faith in youth whilst he was here!

At Newcastle the following players played for Hughton

Andy Carroll (20)
Patrick van Aanholt (19)
Tamás Kádár (19)
Ben Tozer (19)
Ryan Donaldson (18)
Kazenga LuaLua (18)
Nile Ranger (18)
James Tavernier (18)
Haris Vučkić (17)

Some played a little - some played a lot.

At Birmingham he had a lot less to work with - but still used

Andros Townsend (20) on loan from Spurs
Jordon Mutch (19)
Nathan Redmond (17)

At Norwich he had nothing to work with in terms of youth players - he used

Harry Kane (19) - on loan from Spurs (but 19 year olds shouldn't go out on loan)
Josh Murphy (17)
And he bought Nathan Redmond from Birmingham

So it is factually incorrect to say that Hughton will not play young players - he will play them if they are good enough and if they are ready.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

The top 6 don’t have to risk youth players they can buy the finished article as they are swimming in cash. The only exception to this is Chelsea who are now forced to do it owing to the transfer ban. This is why Potter is using youth as bloom and the club want us to use the academy as an alternative to the transfer market to keep us competitive on relatively lower budgets.

For what’s its worth I liked CH and he had a lot of strengths but he also had weaknesses and one was he was very risk adverse. For that reason alone he would not actively blood youngsters and never did in his time here. Trying to pretend otherwise just makes you look a bit of a Hughton fanboy which coupled with your thinly veiled digs at the new manager just looks a bit weird especially from someone who is not even a fan of the club

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
At Newcastle the following players played for Hughton

Andy Carroll (20)
Patrick van Aanholt (19)
Tamás Kádár (19)
Ben Tozer (19)
Ryan Donaldson (18)
Kazenga LuaLua (18)
Nile Ranger (18)
James Tavernier (18)
Haris Vučkić (17)

Some played a little - some played a lot.

At Birmingham he had a lot less to work with - but still used

Andros Townsend (20) on loan from Spurs
Jordon Mutch (19)
Nathan Redmond (17)

At Norwich he had nothing to work with in terms of youth players - he used

Harry Kane (19) - on loan from Spurs (but 19 year olds shouldn't go out on loan)
Josh Murphy (17)
And he bought Nathan Redmond from Birmingham

So it is factually incorrect to say that Hughton will not play young players - he will play them if they are good enough and if they are ready.

Are you Chris? I really do not understand what you are trying to prove. To me you just sound like someone who started supporting us in the last 5 years and is trying to think he knows it all.

Probably a 19 year nerdy virgin, who gets into bed with his mum every night. BORE OFF

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Are you Chris? I really do not understand what you are trying to prove.

Plain and simple English -

Claim
Chris Hughton won't play young players and never has

Evidence
He has played young players at Newcastle, Birmingham and Norwich if they were good enough and if they were ready

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Are you Chris? I really do not understand what you are trying to prove. To me you just sound like someone who started supporting us in the last 5 years and is trying to think he knows it all.

Probably a 19 year nerdy virgin, who gets into bed with his mum every night. BORE OFF

No he's an elderly Irish bore who's trying to engange with us because he has nothing better to do and loves the sound of his own keyboard typing nonsense. About time you fecked off to Watford's board and annoyed them isn't it [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] ?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
So you want Potter to fail to prove a point? It's really all quiet tedious.

Jaysus - where and when have I ever said I want Potter to fail?

I am commenting on what I consider to be false claims about Chris Hughton - a guy who should be treated with the utmost respect on here given what he achieved at this club (and may I add the reason why the club is still in the PL for Potter).

Just because I think it was a mistake to sack Hughton doesn't mean I want Potter to fail and the club to get relegated (just to prove a point).

People just shoot from the hip - it really is daft stuff. :rolleyes:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
No he's an elderly Irish bore who's trying to engange with us because he has nothing better to do and loves the sound of his own keyboard typing nonsense. About time you fecked off to Watford's board and annoyed them isn't it [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] ?
Sorry my boy - I don't like Guinness

:drink:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Claim

Evidence
He has played young players at Newcastle, Birmingham and Norwich if they were good enough and if they were ready

Yawn

You can drag up loads of stats and bang on as much as you like.

What I like to refer to are FACTS

CH is reluctant to use young and new players...... it’s been clear and obvious to watch and also because of what players have said since CH departure.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Claim

Evidence

No-one has claimed Hughton has never played young players, that's your hyperbole to try and prove your laboured point.

The evidence is overwhelming that he never played them for Brighton. Save for James Tilley coming on in the 89th min of a dead rubber against Middlesborough on the final day of the 14/15 season I cannot remember him giving another player from our youth system any league minutes at all even when we were in the Championship.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
No-one has claimed Hughton has never played young players, that's your hyperbole to try and prove your laboured point.

The evidence is overwhelming that he never played them for Brighton. Save for James Tilley coming on in the 89th min of a dead rubber against Middlesborough on the final day of the 14/15 season I cannot remember him giving another player from our youth system any league minutes at all even when we were in the Championship.

He didn't play young players for Brighton because they were too young and/or not good enough -

I will ask the question again - who should Hughton have played last season?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Threads like this were always gonna happen unfortunately - it was obvious from the moment CH was sacked. What I don’t like is those of us with eyes who can see the vast improvement end up defending Potter and almost inadvertently slate CH when it’s not what we want as we want to show the great man the respect he deserves. Annoying.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He didn't play young players for Brighton because they were too young and/or not good enough -

I will ask the question again - who should Hughton have played last season?

Connolly and Alzate instead of Locadia and Jahanbagofshite

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here