Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge not to represent England

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's get this call in perspective. Wayne Bridge has been living in Ashley Cole's shadow for exactly 8 years, and then it all falls into place - England have their best squad for 20 years, Bridge gets the City megabucks, his nearest rival Kieron Gibbs gets a season-ending injury, Ashley Cole gets a bad injury and then...John Terry fucks it up for him.

This is a massive call for Bridge, and I agree with US that Terry's fling has obviously affected Bridge emotionally, while his form for City has been ordinary and not international quality.

Baines is better than Warnock and the more exciting choice, but it's late on in the day to be bringing in new players and a friendly against a bunch of sandbeggars will tell us next to nothing.

Clearly Matt Taylor of Bolton is also ruled out on the basis Terry would probably try and f*** him up the arse in the showers, so not much choice and not ideal, but fair play to Bridge.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
John Terry and the Crazy Gang

I hope the view from his little piece of moral high ground is worth it, when his fellow professionals are playing, with the attention of the whole sporting world, in what could be the tournament of their careers.

Wayne Bridge rises above such "unfortunate circumstances" and what he really means, he does not want to team up with riff-raff.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Bridge has "taken one for the team" here, so all credit to him. It would inevitably have led to tensions in the squad had they both been there, he's quite right in stating it would be a divisive issue. If they happened to still be playing at the same club, you can guarantee he's have slapped in a transfer request for the exact same reasons, so whilst its not exactly fair that he misses out on the World Cup, it is for the greater good overall.

Bridge is the innocent party who has conducted himself with great dignity through all this, whilst John Terry ponced around for the cameras in Dubai to publicise him making up with his wife. Class is not something you can readily associate with Terry is it.

:clap: :clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hope the view from his little piece of moral high ground is worth it, when his fellow professionals are playing, with the attention of the whole sporting world, in what could be the tournament of their careers.

I don't think this is a case of Bridge doing this just to take the moral high ground at all. I'm sure he is genuinely absolutely gutted not to be going to the World Cup, it must have been an agonising decision. But I guess he looked ahead to the nuts and bolts of working closely in isolation with a squad of players for potentially a couple of months, and decided he simply couldn't stomach it with Terry being there. Fair play to him, and I'm glad he's decided that sooner rather than later.

Mind you, if Terry gets crocked I bet he'd take great delight in making himself available for selection again. In fact, Bridge has got a chance of doing exactly that himself on Saturday - oh BOY would I love to see that happen. It'd almost be worth losing Terry just for the fallout.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bridge has "taken one for the team" here, so all credit to him. It would inevitably have led to tensions in the squad had they both been there, he's quite right in stating it would be a divisive issue. If they happened to still be playing at the same club, you can guarantee he's have slapped in a transfer request for the exact same reasons, so whilst its not exactly fair that he misses out on the World Cup, it is for the greater good overall.

Bridge is the innocent party who has conducted himself with great dignity through all this, whilst John Terry ponced around for the cameras in Dubai to publicise him making up with his wife. Class is not something you can readily associate with Terry is it.

100% correct.......

Anyone who thinks Terry has handled himself with dignity and respect in this affair is someone i have no wish to know, let alone trust with my wife.

Captain my arse......

He is a selfish, over rated, over paid, prat

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They were never even married...or together when jt did the deed.

No but it was only 3 weeks after they split that his good friend did the dirty. How long had Terry been waiting to pounce?

How can a professional who is striving to be the best he can be say no to his country is beyond me, the world cup matters far more than any personal issues, it is good in a way because he won't be selected but I feel he should put things aside for something that is this important.QUOTE]

I am assuming this is tongue in cheek. How can your personal life not affect your professional game!

Nail bang on the head.

The problem we have is this self destruct button which we seem to have acquired from the Dutch. Take Cashley, if I was Abramovitch, I would dump him in the reserves for the rest of the season and make him train with the youth team. That would scupper his World Cup preparation but then England suffer. So, we could be without both first and second choice left backs.

stevey-o

I am the walrus.
Mar 24, 2009
sadly not in Brighton
I think Bridge must have had a nightmare decision to make, knowing as he will do that it could (however unlikely) cost him a World Cup Winners medal. He is unlikely to make another World Cup squad and this must be huge for him. And it must sting that Terry could still be a "hero" to some people and win honours he has now excluded himself from.

However professional he tries to be it is inevitable the press will focus on their every pass to each other, their every glance etc - it'd be unbearable not just for him (and Terry, though I have no sympathy for him), but for the team too. And really, who's to say they wouldn't do a Dyer / Bowyer when one berates the other for a slip-up in a way that in any other circumstances would just be part and parcel of an passionate game?

It's human nature too to form off into clans (whenever you get more than 6 people together for any period of time apparently). So it's also inevitable you'd get Team Terry, Team Bridge and Neutrals which is highly unhelpful.

Oct 25, 2003
there's no way i'd want to spend any time in the company of a man who'd had it away with my mrs.

would anyone on here be happy working with someone knowing they'd done that?

well played bridge, if england are gonna have any chance of doing something in SA we need a together squad, having a player playing alongside someone who he HATES isn't going to help that

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
personally think we would be better dropping terry and keeping bridge as there are better centre back options and don't really rate terry in an england shirt anyway.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who is the best centre-back in England?

What are these better centreback options of which you speak ?

Terry left back (behind) at Stamford Bridge, I would.

Wayne Bridge would make a better centre-back than Ledley King!

Last edited:

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Put yourself in WB shoes watching JT get back with his wife in all the papers - then thinking " I will have to spend 6 weeks with him". Uncomfortable is not the word, not just for those two, the whole squad.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Knowing every minutes Terry has nailed his ex's pussy. :rant:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Own Goal Terry

personally think we would be better dropping terry and keeping bridge as there are better centre back options and don't really rate terry in an england shirt anyway.

Who Will Be England England Football Blog

FM-Britain - Building your defence: Centre Backs - Football Manager 2010

I think we are talking about a pair of centre-backs that work together. The usual combination is the aerial "thug" like Foster (or Terry) with a faster covering defender like Lawrenson. I thought Alec Young was better than Foster, who got found out at the higher level. The same would be true of Terry if he was not in the Chelsea side.

Gawd which pair though?

Gary Cahill's blood clot could wreck World Cup dream - Telegraph

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Actually I agree. Aside from the fact that I doubt very much that Terry has any remorse for what he has done, either to his friendship with WB or more importantly to his wife and children, his form lately has shown weaknesses and misjudgements which, if they continue, could mean he becomes a liability. No doubt on form he is one of the best, but he has to be on form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here