Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge not to represent England

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hear, hear. In fact - what with 'im (Terry); Self-Defence Gerrard; Cashly & Drug-Free Ferdinand: I find it harder & harder to actually give a toss about my National team now. I dare say there's probably a few other real charmers I've missed out too, in all honesty.

I have always hated Terry since he and his team mates thought it would be a good idea to go on the piss in London on 9/11 and ended up taking the piss out of grieving Americans wtaching it on tv in a bar. Add to that i don't even think he is a particularly good player. There is no doubt he is a repugnant human being imo.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Bridge has "taken one for the team" here, so all credit to him. It would inevitably have led to tensions in the squad had they both been there, he's quite right in stating it would be a divisive issue. If they happened to still be playing at the same club, you can guarantee he's have slapped in a transfer request for the exact same reasons, so whilst its not exactly fair that he misses out on the World Cup, it is for the greater good overall.

Bridge is the innocent party who has conducted himself with great dignity through all this, whilst John Terry ponced around for the cameras in Dubai to publicise him making up with his wife. Class is not something you can readily associate with Terry is it.

Indeed, Easy. Mind you, he still does his best to 'buy it' doesn't he..? :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bridge has "taken one for the team" here, .

Indeed - in stark contrast to the French floozy, who has taken one from the team.

I think Bridge has probably done the right thing here, and it's true he has shown a lot of dignity. While he and Terry are in the same squad, no one is going to be talking about the football. It's the mother of his child we are talking about, and who needs that at work.

Before we call him a saint, however, I don't think playing at the highest level is quite as important for Bridge as it is for some players. After all, he was happy to sit on the bench at Chelsea for many years picking up his big money unlike, say, Sidwell who could only stick it for one season and wanted to play in a first team elsewhere. There are probably players for whom playing in a World Cup would matter more.

And he has also I'm sure carefully weighed up 'chances of playing much' vs 'all the hassle'. He wouldn't be first choice anyway.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
At least if we win it we will not have to put up with iconic picture of captain Terry held aloft with the trophy, that would have hugely devalued the occassion, Terry and Bobby Moore , not really the same is it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
At least if we win it we will not have to put up with iconic picture of captain Terry held aloft with the trophy, that would have hugely devalued the occassion, Terry and Bobby Moore , not really the same is it.

If, and it is a big if, we win the world cup, I don't think people will remember the captain in 20/40 years time. Unlike Bobby Moore, I honestly think that if we come anywhere near to winning people will remember the balding 24 year-old maestro playing up front.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

It's a fair point. Part of my trouble in getting excited about the World Cup (or anything involving the England national team) though is the fact that I struggle to think of many players I would feel genuinely proud of holding the cup aloft out of the current bunch. That may be a sad indictment of pro footballers in general but we do seem to have more than our fair share of arseholes.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

yeah, cos Rio brap-brapping with one hand and Jules Rimet in the other would be a wonderful spectacle wouldn't it? :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can you just imagine the fallout if Terry had been playing Hide the Sausage with the missus (or ex-missus) of a CRUCIAL member of the England squad, and it resulted in them withdrawing from International duty while Terry is still there ?

Bridge is only a fringe player so there was never any question that he'd be the one ending up as the fall guy not going to the World Cup. But what if Terry had been fooling around with, say, Lampards missus ? Or Rooneys ? I think the clamour would then be for Terry to stand down from the squad completely, but its interesting to ponder who is "droppable" from the England squad and who isn't in a situation like this.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Titanic

re: Dan Harding, I know irony when I spot it..

But perhaps you mean a kicker in american football?

Cos that all he did when he was with us. Hoof!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The debate ended with Easy's post. there was nothing left to discuss after that.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The personal conduct of our players in recent times is going to screw us over this summer. I doubt such things happen so frequently with the other nations.

If it did (which I'm sure it does) I bet the country's media would instigate a witch hunt a few months before a World Cup.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it's worth mentioning that I don't think he just means it would be divisive for the squad. His mentioning of the media coverage would suggest he is also acutely aware that the media would be more interested in commenting on Terry/Bridge for their personal lives and not care about the football so much, which could cause a distraction during a time when we want focus.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Terry is the most over rated player in the current set up. King is on a par with him and he isnt even fit, which is a shame as if he was Terry wouldnt be fit enough to clean his boots.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Terry is the most over rated player in the current set up. King is on a par with him and he isnt even fit, which is a shame as if he was Terry wouldnt be fit enough to clean his boots.

Sadly even if Terry was fit to clean Ledleys boots, Ledley inevitably wouldn't be fit to wear them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here