Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was reminded of what a filmic failure i have been for years by not having watched About Schmidt. I changed that on Saturday and was rightly impressed. Of course i find Sideways impossibly matchable, but tone and tacity were most welcoming. The best stories on-screen often remain unspoken.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Meade's_Ball said:
I was reminded of what a filmic failure i have been for years by not having watched About Schmidt. I changed that on Saturday and was rightly impressed. Of course i find Sideways impossibly matchable, but tone and tacity were most welcoming. The best stories on-screen often remain unspoken.

I gotta say meado I thought Sideways was really good and enjoyed Election but About Schmidt was a steaming pile of horse shit. Probably one of the most boring films I have ever seen. That the characters were all caricatures and yet spent most of the time saying nothing and getting into uncomfortable situations did not strike me with any subtle profundity rather just boredom and the deisre to see 3 dimesional characters and a plot that tested me in a way that wasn't my patience.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im looking forward to seeing Sunshine when its out next week...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

Me too Tony, reckon it will be well good.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Jackass 2

Just when i was getting bored of the whole Jackass thing this little beauty comes along.

Looks like they've put a bit more thought, time and money into the stunts and there isn't a duff one among them.

Bloody hilarious!

8/10

Jul 20, 2003

very good, 8ish

The current lady companion has developed a thing for Cillian Murphy so we had 'Red Eye' (2005) out to rent last weekend - hadn't seen it before and wouldn't have bothered otherwise which would have been a minor oversight. For me the best Wes Craven film since 'The People Under the Stairs' (1991) or even his masterwork 'The Serpent And The Rainbow'(1988)

Red Eye, 2005, not quite a 7

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would have sunshine at 7.5 it takes a little while to warm up (boom boom) and there was a danger it would go into 2001 territory (lots of special effects to pad out the film) but they kind of rein it in at the end.

Saw Next on Sunday. Good little film. Give it an 8 because its only an hr and a half long so rattles along at quite a good pace.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Harsh Times 7.6

Christian Bale was as ever awesome and it was good if a little weird, reminded me of Strange Days a bit.

U Turn 6.5

Strange and weird off the wall Stone film, nothing like Stone has done before, always watchable with a great cast, downright weird reminded me of a Lynch film.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I would have sunshine at 7.5 it takes a little while to warm up (boom boom) and there was a danger it would go into 2001 territory (lots of special effects to pad out the film) but they kind of rein it in at the end.

Saw Next on Sunday. Good little film. Give it an 8 because its only an hr and a half long so rattles along at quite a good pace.

Next, a good film? Really? I thought it was one of the worst films I have seen for ages.

Nicolas Cage will have pull out a good film soon or he'll all the career prospects of Ben Affleck/Sly Stallone

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
There are some films i keep quiet about not having seen. My silence normally suggests i have seen it and fail to respond to other opinions that i have already agreed with. Or that's how i plan it to appear.
The reason i'd not seen Buffalo Soldiers was because it was highly recommended by a friend heavily into smack, and i veered in the opposite direction to his artistic or cultural judgement. But i watched it last night on Film4. Really quite a beauty, isn't it. An effective catch-22-ist parable of drugs and hidden reason in a warzone invisible to its inhabitants.

I haven't seen the friend for about 2 years now. I leant him a few bob he must have smoked or injected, and then just disappeared, i imagine nervously.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Am finally going to watch The Departed tonight. (sky box office) should I be excited ?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Meade's_Ball said:
There are some films i keep quiet about not having seen. My silence normally suggests i have seen it and fail to respond to other opinions that i have already agreed with. Or that's how i plan it to appear.
The reason i'd not seen Buffalo Soldiers was because it was highly recommended by a friend heavily into smack, and i veered in the opposite direction to his artistic or cultural judgement. But i watched it last night on Film4. Really quite a beauty, isn't it. An effective catch-22-ist parable of drugs and hidden reason in a warzone invisible to its inhabitants.

I haven't seen the friend for about 2 years now. I leant him a few bob he must have smoked or injected, and then just disappeared, i imagine nervously.

One of my top films Meado, tis a beaut.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Straightheads.

Revenge rape thriller was how one review put, not sure thats how I would but was certainly hard going. Dealt with themes of gender roles, trauma and power, not always successfully but was always interesting.

As a film it was sometimes slow and some scenes were pretty nasty but Gillian Anderson and Danny Dyer are both very good.

Think I found it more interesting then enjoyable but would reccomend it. - 7.1

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Last film seen at the cinema was 'Becoming Jane'.

I suggest that you do NOT go to see it, unless a. You are a girl, or b. a girl says she will sleep with you, if you do.

Anne Hathaway is undoubtably quite cute though, which is some small compensation.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ok

Zodiac 8.5 out of 10

A Fincher classic. Bit long at 2hrs 40mins but I suppose thats because they want to cover everything and there is over 15 years of material to get into the film. However dont expect grisly "silence of the lambs/se7en" type serial killings as its not that type of film, more how people can become obsessed with unmasking a killer.

Spiderman 3 has been discussed to death on other threads but IMO 7 out of 10

Pirates 3 next week (cue 10 threads on that - is it any good etc)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I seen a few recently

DVD - The pursuit of happyness - 7.1 - Will Smith is in fact a very good actor and this is a good if not earth shattering tale of a man and his boy overcoming all the odds to make a mark in life, a few tissue moment ( stop it Les )

DVD - Deja Vu - 5.2 - time travel nonsense with the reliable Washington, it could have been good by became entrenched up its own arse a bit

Cinema - Bridge to Terabithia - 6.2 - A well acted kids / teenage film but a little dissapointed, not enough time in the land of Terabithia for me but it has a few moments

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I predict Caribean will be complete and utter toliet with Depp sleep walking the role again with a few slimy and smelly monsters and will take $ 1 500 000 at the box office but is not fit to kiss the feet of King Kong last years blockbuster

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
I predict Caribean will be complete and utter toliet with Depp sleep walking the role again with a few slimy and smelly monsters and will take $ 1 500 000 at the box office but is not fit to kiss the feet of King Kong last years blockbuster

I predict the first part is correct, I then confirm the second part is wrong due to King Kong being quite shit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh I forgot

Fracture. 7.5 out of 10. Film rattles along at a good pace. Everyone also gets their just desserts as well. Hopkins plays his part well (probably best since Silence of Lambs) and a good twist and black humour thrown in as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here