Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
I seem to remembr Kurt Russell sat on a pile of snow , also we did not see the mother as she burrowed under the ice, I may have to watch again

The ending is Kurt Russell and Keith David sat out on the ice not knowing if the other one has been infected by the thing. Genius.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Why don't you girls watch it together? :matchmaking:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Les Biehn said:
The ending is Kurt Russell and Keith David sat out on the ice not knowing if the other one has been infected by the thing. Genius.

I try and watch it more often than every two years. I find it the finest re-make i can currently think of. Obviously a large change from the 50s original, but the greatest parts, i feel, are the constant Carpenter heartbeat that runs throughout, smouldering rhythmically in frozen, lifeless environs, and the sheer specactle of the blood-testing scene in petri dishes scraped with a temperature that invokes revolution in every murderous alien cell on show. So, it's an endless icy trial. And, as you say, it continues as the film ends and we know nothing other than doubt for any future thought we have of sprinting, untrustworthy dogs and men whose heads can sever themselves and grow legs.

I do love it. I pretty much watch any Carpenter film ever made. Especially the Prince of Darkness. :)

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Meade's_Ball said:
I try and watch it more often than every two years. I find it the finest re-make i can currently think of. Obviously a large change from the 50s original, but the greatest parts, i feel, are the constant Carpenter heartbeat that runs throughout, smouldering rhythmically in frozen, lifeless environs, and the sheer specactle of the blood-testing scene in petri dishes scraped with a temperature that invokes revolution in every murderous alien cell on show. So, it's an endless icy trial. And, as you say, it continues as the film ends and we know nothing other than doubt for any future thought we have of sprinting, untrustworthy dogs and men whose heads can sever themselves and grow legs.

I do love it. I pretty much watch any Carpenter film ever made. Especially the Prince of Darkness. :)

Indeedo Meado. Although I have to say I'm not sure his films were that great after about 85.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Les Biehn said:
Indeedo Meado. Although I have to say I'm not sure his films were that great after about 85.

They are and were largely atrocious from then on, yes, but that's part of why i like to watch them. Big Trouble In Little China and Prince of Darkness both having Dennis Dun in them.

Dennis%20Dun.jpg

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For Your Consideration.

Yet another brilliant light hearted "mockumentary" on the cinema industry from the genius of Christopher Guest who brought us This Is Spinal Tap, A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman and Best In Show.

8.0 out of 10

Even Ricky Gervais was funny in his cameo.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saw 3 - 1.5

I liked Saw and Saw 2 as the were superior horror flicks with a decent story and an adequate amount of gore.

Hired Saw 3 and watched it. It is a seriously f*** up piece of work and in my opinion should carry a warning on the front. It is just 2 hours of relentless gore and sicker and sicker traps and excruitiating deaths invented by the Jigsaw. How he managed to put on these contraptions together is beyond me as he is seriously ill with Cancer.

The point of the murders and traps is to punish people's wrong doing's and show them the error of their ways and one bloke in particular was taught a lesson about not seeking vengeance on someone who has done you wrong. Well how fecking hypocritical is that when Jigsaw is doing all this as he has the hump he is dying of cancer and wants to punish people wasting their lives.

The first 20 minutes were relentless gore and there were some seriously fecked up things like the rotting Pig carcases being spliced into a bloke at the bottom of a vat and the bloke who killed the blokes boy in the car accident being literally pulled and twisted apart that was so bad I actually started to feel physically sick.

I like a good horror but this was repulsive and sick frankly and I would not have been suprised if it was banned. I did not enjoy a single moment it was an ordeal and the work of a seriously fecked up mind imho.

Avoid if you want to keep your food down.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Kinky Gerbils said:

Classy film with lots of twists and turns

8/10

I like the look of this and am a Carry fan, he is a good serious actor as well as a funny face puller imho but the critics have savaged it ???

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Hot Fuzz - 8.4

Fecking mint. Not as tight as Shaun of the Dead but definately more laugh out loud funny. Yeahhh Roy!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Truman Show
Man on the Moon
and the under rated Cable Guy

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mr Bean's Holiday 8.1 - Cinema

very enjoyable family film with Atkinson on top form, better than the amusing first film, a clever and amusing film with a reasonable story and kept a smile on your face and glow in your heart for 90 minutes, only hard hearted critics and cynics would refuse to enjoy its gentle comedic value

The Prestige 8.4 - DVD

starring the greatest actor this country has produced in the last 25 years , Christian Bale, discovered by Spielberg, I'll have you know, superb film by the excellent Nolan who made the top notch Batman Begins, this film is a must see for any movie fan with a great story and twists and turns all the way, deserved for more success than it got

Pan's Labyrinth 8.3 - DVD

Brought this without seeing it as Kermode who despite being an arrogant tosser knows his films said it was the best film of 2006, it a wonderful film and only once a year a unique treat and off the wall work this special comes out which is totally different to anything else on offer, watch it

3 excellent films in their own way all recommended

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Mr Bean's Holiday 8.1 - Cinema

very enjoyable family film with Atkinson on top form, better than the amusing first film, a clever and amusing film with a reasonable story and kept a smile on your face and glow in your heart for 90 minutes, only hard hearted critics and cynics would refuse to enjoy its gentle comedic value

The Prestige 8.4 - DVD

starring the greatest actor this country has produced in the last 25 years , Christian Bale, discovered by Spielberg, I'll have you know, superb film by the excellent Nolan who made the top notch Batman Begins, this film is a must see for any movie fan with a great story and twists and turns all the way, deserved for more success than it got

Pan's Labyrinth 8.3 - DVD

Brought this without seeing it as Kermode who despite being an arrogant tosser knows his films said it was the best film of 2006, it a wonderful film and only once a year a unique treat and off the wall work this special comes out which is totally different to anything else on offer, watch it

3 excellent films in their own way all recommended

Without seeing any of them I would imagine you are about right with the Prestige and Pan's Labyrinth, but Bean. Oh Glover, why?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Les get you head out of your arse, I don't like this snobbish persona you have , you are better than that, it is a very enjoyable film, the Sunday Express gut gave it 4 starts out of 5 as he wanted to slag it off but was suprised at how much fun it was, yes Fun, thats the word, remember it, you don't have to just watch a film that will change the world every time Les, sometimes its just enough to watch a warm hearted and funny film and forget all the shit in the World, this film does that

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Les get you head out of your arse, I don't like this snobbish persona you have , you are better than that, it is a very enjoyable film, the Sunday Express gut gave it 4 starts out of 5 as he wanted to slag it off but was suprised at how much fun it was, yes Fun, thats the word, remember it, you don't have to just watch a film that will change the world every time Les, sometimes its just enough to watch a warm hearted and funny film and forget all the shit in the World, this film does that

If my head was up my arse I would be telling you to go and watch some Godard or Italian Neo-realist cinema. I just don't like dumbed down crap. I at least like to be slightly tested. Or watch a film for adults.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
fair do's but Bean is good, Les I think you would really like the Prestige it is superb and Bale just excels everytiem he walks in front of a camera.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here