Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
fair do's but Bean is good, Les I think you would really like the Prestige it is superb and Bale just excels everytiem he walks in front of a camera.

Nolans my favourite director (I write 3 essays at Uni on Memento) and Bale is one of my favourite actors som I'm sure I will. Not sure why I never went to see it at the cinema actually.

I bought Nolans first film The Following on DVD a couple of weeks ago. He made it for something stupid like 7grand at weekends. The actings a bit ropey but you can really see his ideas and themes of narrative and identity coming through. More an interesting exercise for those who like his films.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nolan did Insomnia one of the best thrillers of recent years as well 8.1

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw 300 yesterday. I recommend it to anyone who loves the idea of a traitorous hunchback caught in a lesbian sex party while a devilish goat plays a recorder.

Possibly the worst film i can remember. Although, i saw the Illusionist last week and that was comically bad as well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm going to see 300 on Thursday.
Blood, gore, fast-to-slo-mo shots a plenty, codpieces, homo-erotic images, lots of shouting, nipples.

whats not to like ?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Bean was a let down!

Atkinson has run out of inventive and original ideas on how to be funny. Even my 10yo Nephew only laughed audibly once and a bit.

It's only highlight was Emma De Caunes :love:

h_3_ill_776685_emmadecaunes-tournage.jpg

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Meade's_Ball said:
Possibly the worst film i can remember. Although, i saw the Illusionist last week and that was comically bad as well.

Saw the Illusionist. Hated it. Think I will swerve 300.

Edit: strike that, I'm thinking of the Prestige, which is shit. Still won't bother with 300 though.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I Want Candy. 6.3

Nothing to write home about. Nothing really funny happens and even Carmen Electra can't save this film. Classic the funniest parts are in the trailer.

Wait for the DVD.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Trufflehound said:
Saw the Illusionist. Hated it. Think I will swerve 300.

Edit: strike that, I'm thinking of the Prestige, which is shit. Still won't bother with 300 though.

yes garbage ??? , is there any film you have ever liked I mean in your enture life, how do you get out of bed in the mornings with such a negative attitude, everything with you is shit, always

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
come on I don't think you have EVER commented on ANY film in a favourable way , why on Earth was the Prestige " shit " ???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
300 I thought was rather good actually as it was done in a comic book style similar to Sin City (same director). Great hack and slash film and passes the time nicely 8.0

Apparantly tho Frank Miller (and thus the film) has taken liberties with history. So from a historical point of view its about 4.5

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
come on I don't think you have EVER commented on ANY film in a favourable way

You didn't read the Pan's Labyrinth thread very thoroughly did you?

Or very many others come to that. You have very blinkered and selective reading skills, don't you? Like the viewers at a magic show, you only see what YOU want to see.

Uncle Spielberg said:
why on Earth was the Prestige " shit " ???

Because the whole crux of making a film about illusionists interesting relies on the big trick being revealed as "an illusion". To reveal it as some kind of ludicrous sci-fi bollocks undermines the whole point of what was, up until the last few scenes, quite a promising and entertaining premise.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
300 I thought was rather good actually as it was done in a comic book style similar to Sin City (same director). Great hack and slash film and passes the time nicely 8.0

Apparantly tho Frank Miller (and thus the film) has taken liberties with history. So from a historical point of view its about 4.5

Sin City was Robert Rodriguez while 300 was Zack Snyder Tone.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Les Biehn said:

Snyder took the depth from Dawn of the dead and remade it as a soulless flashogram. Some occasional shock and suspense, but no impact or lasting tell.

I remember reading in an Empire a coupla months ago that that nobber is doing the Watchmen too. Oh f***ing dear.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Saw days of Glory last night. Was a bit of a clunky dull fest actually. I think sometimes foreign language films get mistaken for being more intelligent than they are. All very worthy and well acted but one dimesional characters, a meandering plot and some clunky symbolism and a bit heavyhanded with its message. Although the character of the staff sargeant was well drawn and acted. Ok just about sums it up.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Les Biehn said:

Sorry...my brain is a bit addled at the moment...I meant same director style...

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I watched Intermission last night. Very entertaining low-budget Irish slice of life movie, with all the "usual suspects" of Irish cinema: Colin Farrell, Colm Meaney, Cillian Murphy... I shall never look at brown sauce in the same way ever again...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Trufflehound said:
I watched Intermission last night. Very entertaining low-budget Irish slice of life movie, with all the "usual suspects" of Irish cinema: Colin Farrell, Colm Meaney, Cillian Murphy... I shall never look at brown sauce in the same way ever again...

First scene always makes me laugh for the wrong reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here