Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Went to see smoking aces last nite.

Quite a good romp if a little confusing at first. Certainly a no brainer and ends up being one almighty shoot out at the end.

Overall in usual US style 7.5.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Is it true that Spielberg is the executive producer of the new Transformers movie?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Went to see Blood Diamond last nite.

Very good action film as well as having the moral message about non conflict diamonds.

Quite disturbing seeing children with guns and the "brainwashing" involved.

Leo also plays against type.

All in all in US style 8.0

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Is it true that Spielberg is the executive producer of the new Transformers movie?

Correct

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Little Miss Sunshine 7.2

This has had rave reviews and is nominated for the best film Oscar this month, wanted to see it for a while, so I have to admit I was a little dissapointed, yes I get the family ties stuff, it had a great ending which had everyone laughing their heads off, the trip bonded the family together but it was good but not brilliant, a similar type road move, Sideways 8.5 was far superior imho

World Trade Centre 7.6

This had very good reviews in the US at the start but had a mixed bag review here and some very bad ones from the snobbish press, I thought it was an honest and well meaning film of the events of 9/11 and concentrated on the 2 survivors and the families thereof, it was not the definative 9/11 movie and not as good as United 93 but certainly a well intentioned film showing the acts of human courage and endeavour against such evil, it was moving and well made imho

Rocky V 6.1

First time I have seen this, certainly not as bad as the critics made out and pretty entertaining fare on the whole but Stallone was barely audible ! , needed to see this before the visit this week end for Rocky Balboa

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think the Rocky films are ok if you take them for what they are, although I have to say I found Rocky V tough to enjoy. You will enjoy Rocky Balboa if you let yourself, I thought it was pretty average but entertaining enough.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Fountain.

Fantastic in every sense. This film is indeed poetry, and a beautiful testament to love and the cycle of life, and the impermanence of death. Wow. The script is tight, and the non-linear presentation works very well. The scene compositions were exquisite. The score enhanced without being overbearing, which is so often the case in contemporary film.

The acting is absolutely superb, but then it's got Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz. I can't imagine Brad Pitt doing any sort of justice to this film. Darren Aronofsky lucked out in the long run by getting someone who has the range to portray the vast emotions required for Tomas/Tommy/Tom. Weisz has the depth for regal intrigue and spirited grace. Their chemistry makes their stories even more entrancing.

9/10

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Nibble said:
I think the Rocky films are ok if you take them for what they are, although I have to say I found Rocky V tough to enjoy. You will enjoy Rocky Balboa if you let yourself, I thought it was pretty average but entertaining enough.

I think it was as good as it probably good be for this day and age. They had to somehow make it in keeping with the old films but bring it up to date. The whole style and cinematography was exactly the same as the previous films so in many ways it didn't feel like a modern Rocky.

I felt something was missing because a big part of the old films was the build up and cheesy montages of him training but it was cut quite short in this film, probably because they are cheesy.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Blood Diamond - 9.0

Excellent film summed up perfectly Tony Meola's Loan Spell.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rocky Balboa 7.4

Strolled along to the multiplex and a decent crowd was sat for the early evening perfomance. After people said " oh my god Rocky VI " , it took a very decent $ 67 000 000 at the USA box office and is nearing £ 10 000 000 over here. It was a fitting end to a very entertaining series, probably the best since the first, nicely topping and tailing the series. It took time to develop the story and remember old times and a lot of effort had been made to make it all credible. Slowly paced for an hour some might say but enjoyable enough, Stallone gave his best acting performance since Rocky which don't forget got him a best actor oscar nomination and devlivered 2 superb and well acted speeches which were really quite profound and moving, the fight scenes at the end were superb and the most realistic of the series and Stallone at 60 is in fantastic shape, I lesson to all us 40 somethings that your not over it yet. Most agreeable.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Devils Wears Prada - DVD ( chosen by other half ! ). 6.2

A great performance by Streep and resonably entertaining fare but it will not be on my must purchase list

The Sentinel 6.0

A movie which was similar and not much better than any of the 24 series, ok

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Stormbreaker.

First Dvd from blockbuster online renting.

Quite good, complete rip off of Cody Banks and some hammy acting but not to bad.
6/10

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Children on Men.

Was pleasently surprised, despite the presence of Clive Owen this was very good. Interesting Camera technique that pulls you into the story then creates a shock intended to make you reassess everything you have seen. Worked very well in what was an interesting, politicised story.

8/10

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Les Biehn said:
Children on Men.

Was pleasently surprised, despite the presence of Clive Owen this was very good. Interesting Camera technique that pulls you into the story then creates a shock intended to make you reassess everything you have seen. Worked very well in what was an interesting, politicised story.

8/10
Am tempted to see that, still not sure.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Am tempted to see that, still not sure.

Both me and my boyfriend were unsure but we both thought it was really good. I recommend.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Go to the blockbuster Video web site and you can rent dvds for two weeks for free and they get sent to you, just make sure you cancell after two weeks of they sign you up.

come quickly as well, like you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here